Mac Jones to Niners at 3? Or smokescreen?

I’ve brought it up before, but only once in modern NFL history have all 3 of the first 3 QBs in a draft gone on to all become franchise QBs for the team that drafted them. That’s Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger. And that’s using the franchise QB label loosely and saying it just needs to be a guy who leads the team in passing for 6+ straight years.

I always ask myself which guy is going to bust. And when I see success out of 2 of the QBs, my attention always turns to the 3rd guy. If you believe in Burrow and Herbert, that means Tua is screwed. Dwayne Haskins already busted in Washington. If Mayfield and Allen are the guys, Sam Darnold is on his way out. Mahomes and Watson made it a death sentence for Seabiscuit! Paxton Lynch was the 3rd QB in the 2016 class. Garrett Grayson in 2015. Johnny Manziel did his part to spoil 2014. The 2013 class was weak to begin with. The 2012 class was interesting to follow. Luck looked like a stud from day one and so did RG3. That left Tannehill out in the cold. But Tanny turned it around and RG3 went to chit.

1 Like

Jones is the perfect QB for SF’s system! They would gladly take BYU’s QB if he dropped.

Personally, I think Fields will bust unless he’s with the right system

1 Like

I really think Jones goes 3 to SF and Fields falls to the middle, later 1st round and is the 5th QB taken

Broncos will take Fields at 9 if there

While I don’t doubt that, I think that is one of those scenario’s that teams are going to look back on and regret. And falling to the later part of the draft to the better teams makes the chances that they will regret it even higher.

Here’s why I think it’s Jones:

He’s the most ready to win now … and SF has a window right now.

Fields and Lance could very well have higher ceilings because of the athletic ability.

I think Kyle sees a little of TB12 in Jones.

2 Likes

I guess, I look at Fields as the worst of the 5 and a bust at the NFL level. Not sold on him at all. He is a runner 1st, passer second, has issues reading the field and would rather run then throw. I also have doubts about his accuracy. Like I said, not sold at all on Fields.

I also think that Jones has the best career out of all 5 of the QBS

1 Like

From my perspective I can’t possibly rank Lance ahead of Fields.

4 Likes

DeShaun Watson has a joystick he’d like to show you

1 Like

Shhhhhh! If we don’t go QB in the first round, I’d love to get him in the second!

You have to be pretty good to throw for 6 TDs against Clemson.

How do you know you’re different if you don’t know the guys personally? Sounds like Fields is reading from some transcript or being told what to say

1 Like

But the Tim Boyle era has begun!! Kellen Mond would be just another bump in the road for the Nasty Boyle like Jordan Love, Brent Hundley, and Deshone Kizer were.

It’s understandable. The record of Ohio State QBs in the NFL has been abysmal:

None of them has made it–at least as a QB. Thus, it’s perfectly natural for Fields to want to distinguish himself. Indeed, he surely knows that history.

And, in terms of recent history, Haskins’ issues are well documented. See, for example:

As a person and as a leader Justin Fields is diametrically opposed to Dwayne Haskins.

1 Like

Larger sample size too. Fields did it for two seasons and in the non-pandemic year went 41 TDs against 3 INTs.

But if that’s the case, you could have moved to five with that thinking. You’d still get one no matter what.

Was he “reading from a transcript” when he went on ESPN to campaign to restart the B1G season? What about when he started a petition for it too? What about when he got voted a captain at Ohio State?

That stuff doesn’t just happen from a PR department. The kid is a leader.

Uh, that’s what he’s coached to do in the Ryan Day offense. How is that his fault? He was told often that if his first or second read wasn’t there to run. If you want to see 5th read progressions, watch the Clemson game. He can do it.

Again, not only does this not matter, but this “issue” can also be attributed to the “pro” styles of the offense, where college players are asked to make NFL level adjustments in the passing game during the play.

I know for a fact that your guy Mac didn’t read a single coverage this year. He didn’t read anything actually. Nobody’s complaining about that. Funny how that works.

I can’t help you here. You haven’t watched his total body of work if you come away with this opinion.

The Bengals traded away 5?