Making the Hall of Fame call on 12 current players, including Matthew Stafford

I think one-time Super Bowl winning QB Matthew Stafford is a Hall of Famer.

In just two more seasons, he will likely be 5th all time in passing yards, 9th in TD passes, and there’s a good chance he passes Brees and Ryan for 4th all-time in 4th quarter comebacks.

Stafford will definitely have the stats for it when he retires. He’s got a sub .500 record as a starter though. Obviously the Lions were trash most of his career. How many QB’s in the hall with losing records? Can’t be more than a few. He’s currently at 9 games below .500

2 Likes

Stafford might get the Lions discount–great player on bad to mediocre teams.

Calvin played on a lot of those same teams and still made it.

However, Stafford needs to sustain a high level of play for another 3-4 years before he’s a lock. Until then, he’s probably not a first ballot guy.

3 Likes

I think he will eventually make it and then go into the hall as a Ram… Lions fans won’t be happy. :wink: those white teeth say LA.

2 Likes

Yeah, his reception at Ford Field in January probably guaranteed that.

2 Likes

I think Stafford gets into the Hall of Fame already… But with that said, it sure would be ironic if the lions were the ones to keep him out.

2 Likes

I don’t think he has a chance. The HoF is for players who were top 3 or 5 at their position for eight plus years, or players who had extraordinary careers like Kurt Warner. Stafford doesn’t meet the Warner criteria, and he doesn’t meet the other criteria either. As good as he is or was, he’s never been in the same category as Brady, P Manning, Brees, Mahomes and Rodgers. He’ll put up stats, but in the current era those stats mean less than they did when he started out.

Just mentioning Calvin should make it obvious why Stafford shouldn’t make it. Calvin was generational, he did things no other wideouts could do, he stood out for his greatness even on sucky teams. Stafford wasn’t generational, didn’t do anything other QBs couldn’t do, and he didn’t stand out for his greatness on sucky teams. That’s the difference between HoF and HoVG.

2 Likes

Fastest ever to 50000

https://www.therams.com/news/matthew-stafford-reaches-50-000-career-passing-yards

3 Likes

And Goff can break into the top 40 as well this year….

1 Like

Goff stinks… this is a Matty Stafford thread bud. We got several extra first round picks FOR GOFF :joy:

2 Likes

I looked at that list and saw Ryan Tannehill has as many 4QCBs as Joe Montana and now I want to yell at a cloud or two.

3 Likes

Borderline. He needs a league MVP or SB MVP year then it’s a lock

1 Like

3 Likes

He should make it. One way or another. I also think the Rams can still win, and possibly compete.

There’s the argument that too many non-special players make the HOF. Well, there is no QB that has that Stafford arm with the things he can do. Not even Mahomes.

I think whats not appreciated enough is how he took Calvin to another level. Then did the same with CK. Then made Puka the best rookie ever. The guy is a generational QB no doubt.

So, special, and stats should get him in. Thats how Calvin, and Barry got in.

1 Like

I think he makes it. Wins a SB as soon as he leaves Detroit……more stats will help but I think staying healthy is his biggest obstacle now.

Plus he is or he will be the all-time leader in pick-6s……but I’m not sure how much they factor that in for HOF voting

5 Likes

Actually, Stafford took it to another level without Calvin. Indeed, it wasn’t until Calvin retired and he lost his crutch/safety valve/wing it up on a prayer WR and learned how to be a better QB.

4 Likes

Then why is Eli Manning considered a lock? He was never top 5.

1 Like

Calvin would have been a HOF player on any team. Dude was a beast. A freak of nature

If ‘making’ a player the best rookie ever was a consideration then Goff with LaPorta or even Amon is a lock

But that’s not really a thing. At the end of his career Goff will have the wins, TDs yardage and Pro Bowls. But unless he wins a Superrbowl(s), leads the league in yardage, gets a league or SB MVP it’s not enough either

That will go a long way with the voters.

1 Like