Malik Willis had a good showing

He needs to sit this year for sure… maybe come in on spot reps or something but otherwise just get with the nfl program…

1 Like

Yep, you can definitely see the talent. You can also clearly see he needs time to develop. If he does though it’s a home run pick for the Titans.

3 Likes

Some type of Randle El career would be his best bet IMO.

I think you’re shooting low, but not that far off.

Zero surprises to anyone, at this point in his development. Literally everyone knew he’s a project.

That’s why you don’t take a project at two overall. Would have been a disaster

3 Likes

Willis went where he should have in the draft. Not 2OA. Now he’ll get the time to learn the NFL game. Enhance his skill set. Things he would have never gotten to do if taken 2OA.

He went to a team with an established starter and a good staff. They have a plan. They’re communicating it to him. He understands it. Everyone understands it’s not about this year. There’s zero pressure to get him out there this year. I’m happy for Willis.

Coming here at 2OA would have been a disaster for for everyone.

4 Likes

what-huh

1 Like

As I put in another thread, I am a fellow Liberty football alum, so I hope Malik does find his place in the league. Tannehill the man there now, but Malik has an insane work ethic and if he is given time, he can be very good in this league I can promise you. I have watched him play tons of times(Met him once when I went back to Lynchburg for Homecoming) and deserves to shine.

We shall see.

3 Likes

I’m with you, man. Everyone everywhere knew this dude was not going to start for a year or 2. The NFL has spoken, and 32 teams of scouts’n’GMs thought he was a 3rd rounder. Shows the tolerance for “get him on the field now” factor.

I think he’s in a good spot and will eventually succeed there.

4 Likes

There were some who advocated here to take him 2OA. Some who suggested changing the offense to a single read offense to get him on the field to take advantage of what he can do. Some were lambasted here for saying he wasn’t ready and needed time to learn.

2 Likes

Nice.

Did I see you play on 10/14/89 at EMU?

2 Likes

Truthfully, I would have been okay with it if Brad had done that (because I trust Brad).
Where I see a MAJOR discrepancy in my thinking and what NFL GMs are thinking is this → I have more of a tolerance for a learning curve, whereas they are more like “■■■■ that shit, this dude’s not even gonna play for 1 or 2 years.”

My idea is that if this dude is the next Josh Allen, it’s worth it.
…where dichotomy of thought comes in → QB is a crap shoot. Doesn’t matter where they are drafted. Ryan Leaf? Sanchez? tons’n’tons more of 'em too.

I get it.
Also, in terms of risk/reward, the Titans did a fantastic job for themselves.

1 Like

I understand and can see the point. Could you argue with someone taking Brady 1OA if his career turned out the same way?

At the same time, you can’t over draft someone by such a tremendous margin that you lose other guys that would help you as well. Overdraft Willis, you don’t get Hutch. Rush Willis, you could get Sanchez.

1 Like

Too bad his 2021 team didn’t have the talent of the 2020 team, I started a thread about that team half way thru the season because they were killing it. They could work him in like a Taysom Hill player sooner than later. I’m not sure he’ll ever be a starting NFL QB but as a backup and as a gadget player I think he could contribute.

For sure! Agreed. I’m thankful we have Hutch. Funny to say, but I think he’s showing signs of outperforming what I thought he’d do, at least as a rook.

1 Like

I watched the Giants last night. Was not impressed with Thibs. He ran very basic rushes. Almost to the point of wondering if he’s holding back until it counts. No film until it matters.

3 Likes

Yup - I question his “why”.
WTF are you doing out here? .
…representing yourself as a man?
… Building the brand?
…Working your guts out because your identity is tied to your job (football)?
…Having fun and deeply grateful because you get to do what you love?
…some combination of these?
The all important question…
Which of these energies is leading the way?
Thibz → building the brand
Hutch → working his MF’n ass off to get better every day…cuz that’s who he IS…not just what he does

1 Like

I think when you take someone at 2OA and committing that much cap. It has to be an NFL ready player.

Doesnt matter if they eventually be great. You can’t pay a 20 million bonus on a 36 million contract counting 7 million against the cap year one to sit and hopefully develop into a starter a few years

3 Likes

He also sprained his ACL and will be out for at least a month

3 Likes