Malik Willis visiting tomorrow

when Goff got here, he couldn’t possibly know he would have very few Wide Receivers , he couldn’t possibly know how good/bad the defense was going to be, he couldn’t possibly know that there would-be a play caller change during the season , and he couldn’t have known about what injuries this team would-have HIS FIRST TIME HERE , not the depth and level of it. BUT Goff was sent in to play with what we had/WHO we had, I don’t buy the “Goff simply isn’t good.” shit here , neither are we as a NFL team… we have lost our asses for 40 to 60 YEARS ! including a brutal outage The Patricia season (s) . The Detroit Lions never have their stuff together, they are ALWAYS half-assed ! That’s what Goff had to play with, but DAMN GOFF for NOT looking like Rogers or Brady in 2021. WE HOPE , it will not be-more of the same in 2022.

I’m not sure what one has to do with the other. Other than suggesting it’s a perfect match of ineptitude.

He’s a bottom third quarterback the last three years.

Any team that has had a QB in the bottom third of the league in terms of production would be looking to make a change at the position. This is not a controversial suggestion, it’s common sense.

I’m merely using logic. This isn’t an appeal to emotion. He’s objectively not a good quarterback. Does that mean he won’t improve? Not necessarily. It just means it’s unlikely. Which means it’s incumbent upon the organization and fans to demand better.

4 Likes

Watch this…

Apparently, being “Elite” is easily dismissed.
Seriously, is there a passer in this draft better over a 9 year period?
Refusal to acknowledge the shit show he had around him last season doesn’t change history, and I’m sorry, but, I don’t accept Sean McVays god status.
This guy, isn’t good enough, and, Malik Willis will be an upgrade?
Okay.
Question, what if Stafford doesn’t win another Super Bowl?

4 Likes

He’s visiting the Steelers after he leaves Detroit. And the Steelers have shown a ton of interest in the kid. What would it take to trade from 2 to 20?

20, their second rounder, as well as next years first and third? Maybe the Lions want to bring him in and talk him up so Pittsburgh thinks if they want him, they need to call us

Let’s say we play to the Vegas line, the Rams win the SB again and Pittsburgh picks around 15. We would have hypothetically number 7, 15, and 32 in a draft where pundits are guessing five top QBs will be drafted in the first round. That’s a lot of options

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not like McVay can win a Superbowl with out Goff. :thinking:

And History shows the Rams couldn’t win the Superbowl with Goff but won it pretty fast without him. :man_shrugging:

All true, man. :muscle: :sunglasses:

I don’t see this. I think you are misinterpreting. Just because Goff is good does not mean we shouldn’t want to do better.

I disagree with this too. I think we are a very nice up and coming team.

IMO, this has nothing to do with our current team, owners, players, coaches, etc. We get to let go of the past…cuz it’s the past…it’s literally gone.

All the stuff about the past is irrelevant now. Goff is approximately a top 15 QB. Some of us would be cool with keeping him, comparing our 10 win team to past Lions teams…just being thankful to have a 10 win team for the next 5+ years, while others want us to upgrade. Having gone through what you guys have with the Lions, I can see both sides of it, but I’m damn sure in the camp of let’s go for it…all in…SB is the goal!

Some think Goff can do it…I have my doubts.

I do want Willis, but I just don’t see it. I don’t think they’re going to move off of Goff until he gives them a reason to.

1 Like

ok , he won’t improve if we don’t get real help on this team…I desperately want this to SEE WTF GOFF does this season, so we can see if he does something worth keeping OR if he’s gone in 2023 anyway. The Lions have to start being Lions and not bottomfeeding doormats. I am getting fed up with weak , sorry teams we have.

Takeaways from the first vid → Play action and picking on a weak link in the D afforded Goff a fantastic game against a subpar defense.
Goff makes great passes as it pertains to the play, and staying within the bounds of a play.
:point_up: :point_up_2: I agree with that.
My issues with Goff is the form of toughness you’ve heard me mention lots of times.>>which leads to turnovers. Also, Goff is not good at improvising. He IS smart. He CAN run a complex offense and hit people in tight windows. He IS accurate on short to mid range routes. He has to be well set and step into deep throws. He fumbles every time someone gives him a dirty look. He gives up on plays…even on 4th down (that’s a turnover…same as a pick or a fumble).

Biggest truth for me (through my lens and reality) is that I want to upgrade the energy of the QB position. It’s not as much about his production/lack of production as it is HOW he does/doesn’t produce. I want that Stafford energy, where the team feels like thier big brother has their back. Goff is clearly little brother back there.

2nd video proved nothing to me. Those passes didn’t look that great, and one of them even looked like it could have been picked. Felt like you just googled “Goff Elite” then posted it. Really not that impressive, especially if it was meant to be “hi lights.” Just my opinion.

3rd video → nothing I saw didn’t teach me/convince me of anything I didn’t already expect from Goff. When he’s protected and has an amazing run game, he can be very accurate. I have never, in any conversation contested that. That’s not what I want to upgrade or why. I want a tough QB that is an energetic leader of the offense.

I can’t say for sure, but I think he has a great chance to be. Also, he IS an upgrade in the WAY I want an upgrade → I can give a definitive yes to that.

He’s 1 out of 1 in the SB? What are you looking for here? Has nothing to do with this conversation, IMO. I think the chances are far more likely than not that Matt does NOT win another SB.

Not sure what you are getting at.

Yeah, cause there are no other variables.

He was hired by the Rams when he was 31 years old. He’s still the youngest coach in the NFL.

The year prior to hiring him, the Rams had one of the worst offenses in NFL history. They ranked 32nd in points (224) and yards. After hiring McVay, they scored 478 points, leading the league.

In five years with the Rams, they have gone 55-26 in the regular season and 7-3 in the playoffs, appearing in two Super Bowls, winning one.

He’s still the youngest coach in the league.

1 Like

It is a ton of options, as well as a lot of variables and things falling into lucky spaces for those options to come to fruition.

Best case scenario for Lions…Goff works out and we don’t need to spend draft capital. My prognostication → 25% chance could happen
2nd best scenario for Lions…Take a QB this year, he works out, and we dont’ have to spend any more draft capital on a QB (trade Goff and get even better positioning) → 50% chance that could happen
3rd best scenario… Dominos fall the right way and we are positioned to trade up for a QB next offseason → Chances that could happen 50%

Worst case scenario → Goff takes us to QB purgatory, and we experience ground hog day and 2in 9-10 games every year, possibly making the playoffs more often than not, and winning a playoff game about 1 of every 3 years.
Improvement? YUP!
Good enough? Not for me…

Let’s get a QB and hedge against the worst case scenario

Y’all realize Matt sucked for 12 years, right?:rofl:
Sure, let’s reach. I’m down for another rebuild.

1 Like

Jared Goff career QB rating 91.5.
Matthew Stafford career QB rating 91.1.

Jared Goff career playoff QB rating 79.9.
Matthew Stafford career playoff QB rating 99.0.

1 Like

See, I don’t want “a” QB.
I want “the” QB…and I don’t want to waste picks that could be used to improve this years team.
Matt Stafford was a consensus #1oa pick.
Jared Goff was a consensus #1oa pick.
There are zero consensus #2oa picks this year.

1 Like

What about trading up and wasting picks to improve the team next year?

3 Likes

Who says we will have to?
You’d take a chance on a guy with no consensus.
I’d rather take a chance waiting for the right QB, and if we have to trade up to get him, then, it will be worth it. He’ll be the “right” QB.

That makes 2 of us…that’s why I want to look so seriously at upgrading form Goff. :wink:
“The Guy” not “a guy”. YES!!!

…and that means nothing → completely unrelated. Oceans of difference in the talent gap between Matt and Goff. I feel like that makes my point.
Lots of consensus #1 guys flop like a MF’r…more flop than don’t, actually.
If we’re looking to the past, you could use the same type of “facts” to describe Allen, Mahommes, Herbert, and more…

I disagree. There were many, many people who did not buy into either of those picks at the time they occurred. When Stafford was drafted there were just as many people on the Aaron Curry bandwagon. Hell even when Peyton Manning was drafted there were just as many people saying Ryan Leaf may have been the better prospect. Point being is I don’t think there will ever be 100% of people on board, or in agreement on a pick.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, next years top 2 QB will need to be traded up for, hence costing us both our firsts plus others possibly. I don’t see us being the worst in the league next year, maybe 5 or 6 wins which doesn’t get us a top QB. Willis costs us 1 pick. Yes, I know drafting any QB in the first round is sketchy in regards to hitting percentage wise on them. That’s my point, we need to take a chance until it hits. What’s to say next years QB is a sure fire top 5 QB. Lions need to go with their gut feeling and we need to trust their evaluation skills. If not Willis, I’d love the Cincinnati QB at 32/34.