Mark Brunell for OC?

Wondering how we feel about Brunell these days? Is he a potential OC candidate?

Looking at his career stats, he had some good runs but never had a season close to as good as the top 3 of Goff. Mark Brunell Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

You don’t have to be an elite player to be an elite coach, but relevant experience helps.

The offense has been clicking. How much has Brunell contributed? Is he key in game planning? Does he work with the offense outside of the QBs?

Did he do any play calling? Did he call his own plays as a player?

His TD to INT ratio was fairly poor, especially for a 3x probowler. Wondering if there were limitations with his arm or something that caused that and yet Goff had an unbelievable streak this year. Does that play a role at all?

Would you consider him for OC if Ben Johnson should move on?

3 Likes

To be honest his name is the first one I think of whenever I consider the Lions looking to replace Johnson after he is gone. Of course that might be related to the fact that he is the only other Offensive coach that I know on the team off the top of my head.

I have no clue if he could or should be an OC, but if MCDC offers him the job then I will have high expectations for his work.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned Brunell in other threads. 17 years as an NFL QB and 2 years working with Goff. He’s gotta be doing something right when Goff doesn’t throw a int for 9 straight games. The Lions have several guys that could potentially be OC. Tanner is the passing game coordinator. Brunell the QB coach. Randel El? Can Duce call plays? Campbell himself called plays last year and Goff looked much better. We got options. Fraley does a real good job with the O-line.

5 Likes

Duce seems like he would be first in line IF he wanted it… Doesn’t seem like he does for whatever reason?

I’d think Randle El is another if he wants to.

I was pretty hard on Randle early last season as the WRs were running into each other and didn’t know what the heck they were doing. Turns out it was more Lynn’s fault and guys like kalif are now playing above their weight. He would be an interesting idea as well.

2 Likes

I refuse to believe Ben is leaving!!

8 Likes

I think that would be a step down for the Duce since he is currently the Assistant Head Coach and most teams do not give that title to one of the coordinators. That is a lot of responsibility to try and put on one person.

While El might be able to do it, I thought and I might be wrong that he only has a few years as a coach in the NFL. I would prefer someone who has been coaching at this level for a longer period, like say 5 years minimum, before handing them a coordinator job.

John Morton is another guy on staff who has been an OC before in the nfl and at USC.

As a coach:

4 Likes

I think he and Todd Wash have both flown a bit under the radar with regards to their experience.

2 Likes

Vince Lombardi’s grandson is available for Part Deux. Don’t shoot the messenger lol.

1 Like

GIF by SundanceTV

4 Likes

You have to remember to correct for the time that he played in. When Brunell threw for 4,367 yards in 1996 it was the 13th highest total in the history of planet earth, and led the league that year.

3 Likes

The biggest problem with Brunell is he throws the ball wrong handed.

1 Like

But I read he eats his own boogers.

Best Caddyshack Spaulding GIFs | Gfycat

I can’t imagine Duce Staley is a candidate or that he would be any good. If Ben Johnson gets a HC job that’s crazy. Doesn’t take much if that’s the case. I don’t think I would be too thrilled if my team hired a guy who was a coordinator for one season.

It would be like hiring a coach with a minimal of interim head coaching experience.

“runs…”

Yeah, you better run!
Dan was also Asst HC under Sean Payton.:laughing:

1 Like

Teams often fall in love with the new shiny toy though! All it takes is one. I think it’s 50/50 BJ is gone. Hopefully he gets his feet wet interviewing and just misses out. Which would motivate him to do even better with the Lions next year.

1 Like

If Ben leaves, push hard for Frank Reich. May only be a one year hire, but I think he would not miss a beat. I wonder if Dan has any kind of relationship with him?

2 Likes

Does this somehow change the fact that I wouldn’t be thrilled with a Ben Johnson hire if I were a fan of the team hiring?

Let’s fail to mention that all coaches above came from the coaching trees of BB, Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Tony Dungy…I mean just some of the best coaches in NFL history. Zac Taylor is the only coach that didn’t come from the guys above (McVay).

Love DC but this list is about as misleading as it gets. It’s not comparable to Ben Johnson at all.