Mathieu Betts--a dose of reality

Reminder: he’s 29 years old. His margin for error is very slim.

He’s a Canadian 29 though so like 25. :wink:

19 Likes

Betts landed in a great situation, if like these guys point out, he can get snaps.

Hutch-Reader-McNeil-X

A solid, possibly top 5 secondary to give him that extra second to get home.

I think he sticks as Houston insurance. But he’s going to have to earn it in preseason. Hope he gets reps vs. the 1s.

2 Likes

Give Betts 10 live training camp reps vs Sewell. 5 pass pro and 5 running plays. If Betts is still alive, he makes the team. Even if he can’t walk… if you find a pulse, roster him.

3 Likes

Episode 5 Midwife GIF by PBS

6 Likes

What part of solid possibly top 5 is so hard to swallow?

Solid being the floor.

1 Like

Both of the guys in the video played in the CFL, so they know how hard it is, particularly, when NFL teams really don’t have much of an investment in the CFL player.

Cold facts (tip o the hat to Sixto Rodriguez).

Working is his favor is that the Villain loves his bargain shopping. Betts will get a shot, it remains to be seen if he can beat guys like Decker in practice. Big if. I assume he’ll get a shot at that. That will tell the tale if he can make the roster.

2 Likes

Cool anytime you can get a Sixto reference in.

1 Like

Injuries can short circuit any defense of course, but our defense could conceivably take a massive leap into the top 5, not just the CBs. LB experience, Reader, and perhaps Terrell William’s guidance will ease the demands on our DBs. I’ll start judging after 4 games because 3 new CBs in the starting lineup will need time to gel with this team.

Beyond that our offense will enhance our defensive standing because they are already geared for long, time-consuming drives.

3 Likes

Bad matchup for Betts… luckily he wouldn’t have to go against Sewell in the regular season.

He could be a game changer against big old OTs or green rookies.

1 Like

Sewell is a bad matchup for everyone. :laughing:

Seriously why haven’t we cloned the guy yet? The time is now.

2 Likes

Totally but I think Betts is best against OTs that have slow feet and worst against those with power. Sewell is practically the best at both. Hutch can’t even really handle Sewell and he has a lot more power and burst.

1 Like

Those Hutch vs Sewell training camp matchups gotta be fun to watch. Would love to see them battle it out.

3 Likes

If we clone ragnow too do we get a group rate? Lol

2 Likes

The thing that Betts has going for him is that Holmes and Campbell run as close to a meritocracy as you will find in the NFL.
Also, the expanded Practice Squad gives him a place to land.
I don’t think Betts makes the 53 man roster without injury to someone else.
He would have to beat out James Houston to make the 53. If Houston is even close to Betts they keep Houston because he is younger and has had some success in the League. They wouldn’t be able to sneak him onto the Practice Squad like the would be able to do with Betts.

Betts has already made an impression in OTA’s and minicamp with expanded reps because Houston was hurt again.
He has to take advantage of evry rep and he is likely to make the PS.

3 Likes

4 new CB’s. Davis, Robertson, Arnold, Rakestraw.

3 Likes

Buy 1 get 1 free cloning is risky. But we need a new toe for Rags. Worth the risk IMO :laughing:

If only it were that easy to replace body parts. I’d be writing an entire new list that Santa has never seen before. Lol

2 Likes

Santa’s been delivering little blue pills for decades now. No worries.

1 Like