Maybe it needed to happen this way

I’ve been wrestling with last night’s loss all day today.

I think about it, and I get frustrated. Even angry. But then I realize that it’s a game, and these guys return home millionaires, and there’s wars everywhere, and ultimately, it shouldn’t be interfering with my emotional health.

But this evening, I had a moment when I was watching the scores float across my watch. When a team goes on a heater, there’s usually a moment they point back to. Something that unites them as a family. For this Lions team, which is quite young, they already have each other’s back. But they also tasted success very, very early just last week.

Last night? Well, last night may have been the exact moment they needed.

While the defense surprised all of us with how well they played, the Lions scored just 3 points in the first half against a Dallas defense that was among the worst in the league since week 12. That last drive? That last drive was against the softest prevent defense I’ve ever seen. Inexcusably soft. Credit to Goff for taking advantage.

But ultimately? Well, the Lions didn’t play great. The playcalling was weird. Gibbs and LaPorta made multiple, out-of-character mistakes. Goff threw wobblers most of the night. Cam Sutton, who we spent a shit ton of money on, gave up a historic performance to Lamb.

I get that this is going to seem like a desperate attempt to find a silver lining, and maybe it is. But unlike several years ago, this didn’t wreak of malice. It was incompetence. And unlike several years ago, it didn’t end our season, where it would be raged about but ultimately forgotten a month or so later when players move on. Instead, the Lions have two weeks to recoup before a post-season journey begins, and that this team—already bonded, but now with the biggest possible, shared chip—will have the opportunity and motivation to express to the world exactly who the hell they are.

8 Likes

Overload me with chip on the shoulder. Add an extra dash of crazy coming back off IR and then our agent of chaos. Have a motivator of a coach get them going and watch out.

We might not make the Super Bowl but I guarantee you we’re a tough out.

5 Likes

I’m not expecting a Super Bowl.

But I’ll say this: if the Lions respond to this the way any rational team would, I’d argue they may have a better chance to reach the Super Bowl than they did before the Dallas game.

I’ve always felt this team lacked a bit of a mean streak.

Well, it’s now or never.

2 Likes

You need to think harder, then, bro.
It’s a show. Really piss poor “entertainment”.
That was the NFL’s argument in court.
We would all like to believe in the integrity of the “game”, but, at some point, you have to look at the evidence objectively.

Can the defense play like that? We were minus one play dominant. They were averaging 40 at home.

Is this improvement real? That’s the million dollar question:

Iffy is a revelation. Over the last three weeks he’s one of the league’s best DBs. Batshit crazy turn of events.

3 Likes

And we get three of our six or seven best defensive players back soon.

I’ve never seen Dan Campbell that mad. Never. This guy motivates his team well without being angry. I can’t even imagine how much more motivated he’s going to have them now.

4 Likes

That’s why we’re not resting starters

1 Like

Go ahead… knock it off.

1 Like

If it “needed to happen that way,” it speaks to the idea that the Lions might make a historic run. And if it was meant to be, we might have needed the NFL to kick us in the nuts publicly one last time before the postseason. Maybe it influences how they call our games in the postseason, since they already stole one from us and everyone knows it.

Most likely we just got screwed like I said from the day the game was announced. We were set up to be a Non Playable Character late in the season for the Cowboys.

2 Likes

The SOL the coach would have that SOL lòok. Not MCDC, he was mad as ****, and said will see them in a couple weeks.

1 Like

It is kind of setting up to be crazy storylines. Stafford return and Dallas revenge is ridiculous from a storyline point of view.

3 Likes

What’s the best storyline for a theoretical Lions Super Bowl run?

Stafford coming back to Detroit
Revenge in Dallas
Matt Patricia comes back to Detroit? (Eagles winning in SF)
Browns in Super Bowl (Duh)

4 Likes

This is a team of destiny.

Whether they do it this year or next, or the year after, this team is going to win a SB.

This is like the Wings and Pistons teams that scratched their way to the top.

We are finally seeing it in our beloved Lions.

Book It Conor Mckenna GIF by FoilArmsandHog

To me, I think this year is where we get our version of the Chiefs loss to the Patriots in the AFC Championship in OT. Teams that typically win big have a learning experience loss the year before.

February 2025 is ring season.

2 Likes

Any word on Jamo?

1 Like

Yup, the NFL wants a Stafford return to Detroit…bad.

PERFECT!!!

Love and agree with it all @Nate

I think it was @CuriousHusker that said “Detroit vs everybody is back”.

Well Shep said so first

1 Like

Hahahahah!!! Who evuh do you mean?

Yes sir!!!