Mazi Smith has a felony gun charge pending

The prosecutor said these things usually take time. I’m not in that line of work so I can’t say yay or nay to that. The kid obviously made a very stupid mistake but was also doing things the right way. If they suspended him for this game I wouldn’t argue it but I’m not going to get upset that they didn’t given what we know about this situation. Had he not gone through the process of purchasing the gun legally and applying for the proper licenses it would be a completely different story.

Isn’t the prosecutor a die hard uofm fan? I mean malcom jones got suspended and did nothing wrong.

You sound like the rcbm conspiracy theorists.

In what way? I asked a question. Is he or isnt he a die hard uofm fan?

To what end,what are you implying?

I don’t know. I haven’t looked into it very deeply. If the prosecutor is that die hard of a Michigan fan though why didn’t he choose not to prosecute him at all? I’m sure there’s precedent to let him off if that’s the case. It would have actually been better for mazi and Michigan for him to be suspended a month ago for a game or two than charge him now at the most important time of the season.

2 Likes

well lawyers and courts can take a long while to get their ducks in a row before a trial, and then trials ‘can’ be moved to later dates to…hell we waited at least 3 months to hear wtf they were going to TRY and hang on my daughter-when all she was doing was walking down a road until the police forceably made her get in their car , so they had someone to run to jail…now she has a record because she wanted to just keep walking and resisted getting into their car , they never read her -her- rights, two male cops frisked her without calling a female officer to do so , and all kinds of BS.

1 Like

I agree one game. Nothing more or less.

So the story I read said it was in an open case in the trunk (so not readily available)

My question is does Michigan law require anyone carrying a gun in their car (trunk) to have a CCW? Even hunters?

1 Like

guns are supposed to be in gun cases and locked so they are not “easily” gotten to or used in a motor vehicle/ stowed away and secured and registered in your name. when we were kids? you could have 'Gun racks ’ in your rear window of your truck, just the guns -and you could have four of them on that gun rack completely ready to use , just grab them and your armed. NOT anymore ‘here’ anyway.

1 Like

Ask Duke LaCrosse (a Championship level team mind you) who lost their entire Senior season and had their HC pushed out over a completely false accusation. Like… uhhh yeah… sorry dudes. Our bad.

5 Likes

Ok. Thanks.

So he met all of that criteria except apparently the case wasn’t locked.

But what about the CCW.? Does every hunter transporting his gun to a hunt site have to have a CCW to carry that gun in their motor vehicle?

Im trying to look it up and will find the answer eventually, but figured someone on here might readily know.

From what I’ve read so far it references CPLs and CCWs. Why are their 2 different designations. Do CCW laws not also cover pistols (hand guns)?

1 Like

" Within the first six months of 2022, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has confiscated over 3,000 firearms from passengers who were boarding planes."

“TSA may impose civil penalties of up to $14,950 per violation per person.”

Sure, it wasn’t the airport but I posted this to show just how common this is in our society AND that we don’t look to destroy peoples lives over this type of mistake, just their bank account.

2 Likes

I watched that 30 for 30. The number 1 team in the country had their season canceled and those kids were crucified on campus all because of a false accusation and a DA that wanted to use it to kick start his political career. He even charged a player that had proof he was across town when the alleged incident occurred.

2 Likes

He got pulled over for traffic violation. The officer asked if he had a weapon. He said yes.

He is essentially being punished for being honest. If he would have lied and the officer didn’t have an probable cause for a search, he would have likely just gotten the traffic violation and would have never heard about this.

It would be interesting to see his CCW application timeline. His lawyer says he has it now and it usually takes some time after you apply before you actually get it. Before the application he would have had to complete the training.

My guess he was either in training when this happened or had completed his training and already applied for his CCW.

2 Likes

The even stranger part is MI is a open carry state. He could have open carried loaded on his person and didn’t. Mi really needs to go Constitutional Carry, there are some really ignorant laws in MI. The one i recall vividly is/was that if someone broke in my house, and my wife used a weapon registered in my name to defend herself, it was a criminal act. I actually had to take one of my pistols to the Sheriff office and register it in her name and that was the weapon she had to use. I traveled a lot in those days for work. I couldn’t believe she couldn’t use her husbands weapon in self defense inside our own home.

5 Likes

If you’re traveling with your weapon (let’s say to the gun range to train for your CPL), the weapon must be unloaded and stowed out of reach (in other words, in the trunk in a closed case).

Since there’s a citation of some sort, we have to conclude that it was NOT in the trunk or that it WAS loaded, no? Or, if it IS unloaded AND in the trunk, then the only possible issue could be that they determined the carrying case was inadequate? Perhaps it was in a gym bag of some sort instead of a lockable case?

no offense, but police here are awkward, no telling what they will try to do here in Michigan.

1 Like

They had a reason to detain her. To detain her doesn’t mean she was guilty of anything. She could have matched the description of someone. Once detained and she resisted, that is grounds for arrest. As to the frisk, they have to when placing her under arrest. There were 2 officers present, with body cams. That is also used to protect them from false allegations. You normally call for a female officer if one is available. If not the 2nd officer and body cams cover you. You have to frisk, if weapons or paraphernalia make it into the jail, a misdemeanor becomes a felony. I’ll guarantee that was explained, and will be on the body cams.

2 Likes

Hang on just a damn minute!
It sounds like there’s a whole bunch of infringement going on here.
He didn’t even have the gun in his hands.
What happened to the 2nd Amendment?
I have a stage t-dhirt that fits.
“I’m not questioning your authority.
I’m denying it’s existence!”
Total bullshit!

2 Likes