McAfee on the Lions Offense - New Record Set

And it did do that. But they gonna say it was the only way we could get our draft pics signed. Witch is also true, the real bad move was bringing Goff here in the first place. The only way it wouldn’t have turned to shit was if Goff turned things around but he didn’t so this is were we are.

1 Like

wrong… again.
Like… not even close.

Before the restructure we could have walked away with out much of a cap hit from my understanding. I mean that’s what everyone talk about when he was trade for and that was mentioned in video.

They also could have done other things besides restructure Goff to sign picks.

We’re is deadstroke we need you bro, if we didn’t restructure Goff what would the dead money be if he was cut in 2022 ?

There is zero difference in what Goff will count against the Lions cap based on that restructure.

The only difference is what year it hits the cap.

The $20 million that was restructured was fully guaranteed salary due in 2021. Barring a trade… the Lions were obligated to pay it.

The Lions needed cap space in 2021… so they pushed $15 million of it into future years because they didn’t have enough cap space to sign draft picks. They didn’t have a choice.

Regardless of the restructure… Goff has an ADDITIONAL $15.5 million roster bonus in 2022 that is guaranteed… which would have been the dead cap charge if he was NOT restructured.

wrong… again.

this is a common theme.

So if they didn’t restructure his hit 2021 would have been what ?

It would be 15 million.

But lions would save 30 million on cap

Now if we cut him…it is a 31 million dead cap.hit thanks. To the restructure

Read it on free press and other sites

If you look at the transactions.
The Rams signed Goff to that huge contract in Sept. 2019, in April 20 they converted some of his contract into signing bonus (restructure).
I dont think we were walking-away from his contract 1 or 2 years after all that.

No… his 2021 cap hit was $25.625 million before the restructure.

After… it was reduced by $15 million to $10.625 million.

The $15 million saved in 2021 will hit the 2022, 2023, and 2024 caps in $5 million increments unless he is released or traded.

Ahh…misread it

So if no restructure we could have dumped him without dead money hit in 2022

So…

Wow this move looks more awful

1 Like

Seem what I read was that before the restructure we would have owed Goff 25 million in 21 but could be done with him after that, after the restructure will now pushed 15 million to futrue years. Basically meaning the money is the same it just changed witch year you could let him go . Isn’t that basically what was said ?

I believe so. Im doing the best I can…I have inner ear infection…im all dizzy and uncoordinated. Ha.

“I know a lot of people talk about the picks, but a lot of it was Jared,” Holmes said at Goff’s introductory news conference last week. “That’s the part that sometimes gets kind of, I don’t want to say lost, but it’s like, OK, we can — third-round pick and two ones, but to have Jared? And again, it’s like I said earlier, his resume speaks for itself, he’s a proven winner, so for him to compete for the starting quarterback position and winning the starting quarterback position, I definitely expect him to reclaim that status.”

YOUR CURRENT GENERAL MANAGER OF THE DETROIT LIONS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Can’t wait to see what other evaluations he’s got. Between this and the gold he found in his first free agent class, the Lions should be a contender in no time

no!

Prior to the restructure… Goff would have counted $25.625 million against the 2021 cap, and cutting Goff after this season would have been an additional $15.5 million dead cap hit.

After the restructure… Goff had a $10.625 million cap hit in 2021… and cutting him after season would count $30.5 million in dead money.

No matter how you slice it… or what year the cap hits land… Goff was going to cost $41.125 million at a minimum.

STOP complaining about the restructure… it made ZERO difference. The money was ALL guaranteed.
It was going to be paid no matter what. It is a zero sum game.

2 Likes

Then he traded for Brockers and extended him too.

Holmes doesnt have the best free agency track record thus far

But he has made some good draft choices and found some gems like parker, Jacob’s, Evan Brown, Tommy Kraemer, Jamaal Williams (although most lions fans wanted him badly so this was a layup choice), brock Wright seems like a solid blocker…

But the big stuff is where Holmes has failed. Goff, brockers.

Hopefully we get corral, Willis, or Howell (whichever Dorsey likes best), MCDC hires a new OC and keeps his hands off the offense, and we sign a WR like Chark, then get Cephus back, and Reynolds maybe sticks, and we draft a WR…

Take BPA at 1 overall…

Next season likely will be rough. Probably over/under 4 wins. But when the new qb takes over…that’s when we all expect a big jump in wins.

I don’t know what it will take but we need someone other than Goff and the group of QBs we have because I dont think Holmes and MCDC will keep the fan base pitchforks at bay much longer we have to watch this passing game again next season. It will quickly turn to a call.for firings.

What year the cap hits lands matter though.

why?

So…with a restructure the dead cap is 30 million in 2022

Without it…it is 15 million

Much easier to eat 15 million than 30

And it extended Goff sticking around another season

But the Freep article states:

" Had the Lions left Goff’s contract unchanged, they would have had no cap charge for 2022 if they traded him before his guaranteed $15.5 million roster bonus is due next March"

But releasing and trading has the same impact on dead money…so if they would have released him after 2021…they would have had no cap charge for 2022…