McVay supports players that aren't ready to play on Sunday

yepp

(I hope not but…)

1 Like

What a bunch of girly men.

1 Like

Great gesture by McVay!!! If I saw trauma (say someone was shot) like that with my current job, my company would allow us to gather ourselves, get counseling etc. prior to returning to work. Some companies won’t though.

1 Like

It happens at factories and construction sites all across America. Just the other day an airline employee got sucked into an engine. Shit happens.

Looking at the timing and some of the stories that have come out since then, it was the CPR that shook the guys. Hamlin being laid out wasn’t unusual for them, and Damar has made hits that have laid guys out as well. The CPR added an element that they weren’t ready for.

The better comparison for the Rams in your scenario would if you saw a video of someone in a similar occupation suffer a serious health condition how long would your work give you off?

Hamlin wasn’t shot. No one else was in danger. The Rams players weren’t there. I get that it is tragic but people are going too far now.

And I understand ending the game, even giving his team mates time to go see him and a few days off. But this was a medical situation in a physical sport. Get back to work like the rest of the world has to do on a daily basis.

5 Likes

Yeah isn’t Buffalo playing this weekend?

I’ll leave it at that

3 Likes

I feel you but the video of the trauma happened where you worked and you could potentially be a victim. That’s the scary part. Not sure I can relate to the mental aspect of it.

1 Like

We are all at risk of suffering heart attacks, strokes, and countless other ailments. Countless people have them at work. Janitors to lawyers to mechanics to doctors have had severe medical emergencies. What happened to this poor kid is a tragedy, however, this should be about him and his recovery. His family. And that is between him, his family and his medical team. Others are simply exploiting it.

I don’t know what you are doing for a living but I’d venture that someone in your profession suffered a heart attack this week.

1 Like

Software engineer Volvo

Such a complete lack of empathy and understanding in this thread that it’s astounding.

It’s no wonder males are the leading sufferers of depression and suicide in a society that looks down on them when they need to work through their emotions or feelings.

If they’re not ready to play for whatever reason, they shouldn’t play. It’s a job. No job is worth your mental health. Additionally, it’s an unnecessary job that literally only serves as entertainment for others. It’s the lowest of the low of priority in terms of necessity, so if these guys need to step away for their mental, they should.

People who think these guys need to suit up regardless are absolutely maddening. Who cares? It’s a game. I couldn’t give two shits less if the entire Rams roster sat out, they lost, and it cost the Lions a playoff spot.

These players are people. Actual humans with feelings and concerns. Most of them extremely young men who haven’t even learned how to deal with the things life throws at them, let alone watching and mentally/emotionally digesting something happening to own of their one that could just as easily been them.

1 Like

I guess it really sucks for those of us who may attend a code… see the person die… and then have to work harder to make sure our crash cart is ready for the next potential patient.

2 Likes

When I was in highschool one guy got dropped on his head in practice and they needed to take him to the hospital on a board.

He wound up being okay, but the reality of the situation had everyone spooked in a way I’ve not seen before or since.

It’s a good idea not to play football if you’ve just had a dose of perspective. It’s a recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Sorry but I don’t see how that makes sense. Everyone is a human being. People have heart attacks every single day in every profession. What makes NFL players special? If another architect has a heart attack somewhere today due to stresses of the job I still have to work Monday morning. If a chef or a farmer has a stroke tomorrow, restaurants are still going to open.

The idea that people need time off simply because someone in a similar job had a medical event so I can’t work for weeks so I can process makes no sense. Where does it end? What if a guy my age somewhere if Texas has a heart attack? Or a guy I went to high school with?

Literally everyone in every aspect of life deals with tragedy and is expected to function in their day to day lives. These guys should not be different just because they are athletes.

2 Likes

There is a slight difference between some overweight, heavy drinking, no exercise or eating McDonalds ever day for lunch lawyer who drops dead of a heart attack from arteriosclerosis, and an elite conditioned athlete doing his job, albeit a physically punishing job that has only had a half dozen life threatening on-the-filed injuries over the last 30 years. Hopefully people can see the difference.

A more fair comparison is that you’re a forest ranger, and your fellow forest ranger that you’re out hiking trails with is mauled by a grizzly. Sure, you knew there was a risk, but it has only happened a handful of times through the years, so the likelihood was low. However, after seeing it happen, you might need a bit of time before you head back out on the trail. Even if you feel ok about going back out soon after, you’re going to be looking over your shoulder a little more and thinking about what you saw happen on a routine assignment. Now as a forest ranger that’s a good thing, but as a football player it could actually get you injured from not doing things the way you were taught and instead trying to avoid making contact in a certain way. These are young kids, who for many, saw a peer technically die doing their job, and it was probably their first real experience with their own mortality. They can take a few days, if needed.

1 Like

This is a false equivalency that you keep presenting. Damar Hamlin didn’t just have a heart attack for no reason. It appears to be a direct result from something that happened on the football field. This isn’t a ‘oh, that’s life’ type event. It’s a ‘Oh shit, we can get seriously hurt doing this’ type of event. Again, the average age of an NFL player is 26 years old. The male brain doesn’t even fully develop until like what, 25? These are kids who don’t know how to process things like this.

To me, your take comes across as uncaring, unnuanced, and screams ‘what about me’. You have to go to work after something bad happens, so everyone else should. It’s ridiculous. Every person is different. A lot of these guys have probably never experienced a loss close to them or had something like this happen to them at the age of 25. Yet you have no problem thinking they should handle this like it’s an every day part of their lives? Come on.

We have all seen car crashes. We still drive.

1 Like

This is football, not golf. You might want to rethink who is on the field.

What in the actual ■■■■ does that have to do with anything?

What does your words have to do with your words? Holy fudge this is comical at this point.

Go ahead and preach brother.

1 Like

preach GIF by Shalita Grant