McVay will take time to contemplate future

Should he stay or should go?

1 Like

Win today then don’t care.

4 Likes

The Rams are a disaster waiting to happen. No cap space and no top draft picks.

6 Likes

Amazing how quickly “F them picks” and “run it back” became “oh shit, we have no draft picks or money and now we’re f’d so i better retire, make a boat load of money being a talking head and then maybe come back when there’s an easier, less challenging coaching situation situation available”.

I wonder how #9 is feeling about all of this. :eyes:

I respect the rams approach bc it worked, but if that defensive back on Tampa makes that INT in the playoffs last year, oof… what a massive failure the rams debacle would have been labeled as.

6 Likes

#9 has had an awesome career and got his ring. No matter what happens with McVay and the Rams Stafford goes out a winner. Honestly with his age and the beatings he took in Detroit it all worked out for him.

3 Likes

When the going gets tough, the tough get going… NOT!

1 Like

It would be smart for him to walk away. He had some cool concepts that he brought to the Rams, but the rest of the league has caught up with him. He should bail now while its a desireable job and his legacy is still intact. He’s got the QB excuse this year. He has a TON of money waiting for him on the other side of football.

We joke about hansomeness but McVay is hansome despite the hair. LA is the kind of place where they need to replace McVay with another hansome fellow. Thats why it needs to be Demeco Ryans.

I don’t understand all this McVay might retire talk. He just signed an extension through 2026 that pays him 14 million a year. I mean, with his endorsements I’m sure he can afford to walk away from football but why? Just because he had one bad season?
McVay doesn’t come across as someone who would be content living on what he’s made to date.

Real life has hit McVay…. and his wife even more.
He has talked about wanting to have kids… and be available to to them as a dad… and then the Ukraine war appears to be a new factor….

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/07/25/sean-mcvay-discusses-russia-ukraine-conflict-and-impact-on-wife-veronika

He’s young. He could leave the league for 10 years, return and he’d still only be 46 years old. The older I get, the more I get why people step away some times.

1 Like

Mcvay… the new gruden

2 Likes

While I understand that, we are living in new times. He could easily earn $5M - $15M per year as an analyst and other similar work. It would come without the same time committment and a shit ton more family time.

1 Like

Many of Head Coaches have had kids while being a coach. Pump-out some kids, soak-up that 14 million per year and in 4 years you walk away if you wish.
Sportscriber has his net worth only 7 million right now.
In 4 years he could gross another 64 million…and you could retire before the kids are in elementary.

Sports analyst would be a good gig but you’re gone almost every week flying all over the country too.

Either way, I couldn’t care less.

McVay looked like a genius last year and this year he looks like a HC that might get fired in another year or two anyways. Him and Snead sold their souls to get that Superbowl and now they’re going to feel the repercussions.

1 Like

Poor Stafford. The guy just can’t catch a break.
Well, at least they got their ring.

1 Like

Having kids…. and being an active parent… 2 different things.

Joe Thomas discussed a coaches lifestyle when he criticized the hiring of Jeff Saturday by Irsay. He mentioned how little time coaches have for their family as the reason he will never coach.

I can’t remember which coach was discussed…
but the coach saw his kids Friday afternoons…. for ice cream…
and then briefly on Sundays before the home games when they were brought to the stadium…. and that was pretty much it for the entire season.

Yeah, I think it was Mooch who said a NFL coaches job is a 16 hour a day job and he’d often sleep in his office.

I do wonder what takes more time and commitment, a NFL Head Coach or a college Head Coach. At least a NFL HC doesn’t have to fly all over the country trying to recruit players.

Even more motivation for the Rams to win if it’s his last game with them. …I think, hope, wish

1 Like

He lives where they film alot of the shows. He doesn’t have to be a traveling analyst.

1 Like

No kidding. If you had seen the e-mails that Sean has sent me you’d know how spot on that comparison is.

2 Likes