McVay's Passionate Speech to Trade for Stafford

If true, it confirms that McVay believes he could continue to win a lot of regular season and playoff games with Goff. He didn’t think they could win the big one.

If true, it says that the Lions should be able to win playoff games with Goff if the rest around him is as good as what the Rams have.

I can’t tell how good the Lions are yet. It seems like the offense is really clicking. Maybe capable of top 15 or top 10. The defense is still figuring out the new scheme. It should get better but is it top 25? top 20? top 15? I can’t tell.

[theramswire.usatoday.com] Sean McVay gave an insanely passionate speech to Rams brass before Matthew Stafford trade

Cameron DaSilva
August 9, 2022 7:34 am PT

The Rams bet big on Matthew Stafford last offseason by trading Jared Goff, two first-round picks and a third-rounder to the Lions for the veteran quarterback. It was a trade that came somewhat out of left field, considering the Rams had just signed Goff to a contract extension the year before.

It was also a deal that Sean McVay absolutely pounded the table for. As much as he caped for Goff in his first three seasons, McVay desperately wanted the Rams to acquire Stafford after it became publicly known he requested a trade from the Lions.

In a wide-ranging, excellent interview with ESPN’s Seth Wickersham, McVay revealed the insanely passionate speech he gave Rams brass over FaceTime while in Cabo last offseason – where Stafford was also vacationing.

They met for drinks poolside, talking football. A bond forged over sun and booze. McVay returned to his hotel and, “a few tequilas in,” he says now, hopped on a FaceTime with Rams brass, unleashing a plea that’s now legendary around the team’s office. “Here’s the f—ing deal, OK? We can sit here and exist, and be OK winning nine to 11 games, and losing in the f—ing divisional round and feel like, ‘Oh, everything’s OK.’ Or, we could let our motherf—ing nuts hang, and go trade for this f—ing quarterback, and give ourselves a chance to go win a f—ing world championship. You ready to f—ing do this or what?”

Think he wanted the Rams to make a move for Stafford? Think he was content with being just a decent team with Goff at quarterback?

That’s the speech of a man on a mission to win a championship, not win a division title. Goff helped lead the Rams to the Super Bowl in 2018, but he regressed considerably in 2019 and 2020, to the point where his relationship with McVay became fractured.

Part of what makes the Rams such a strong franchise is the connection McVay has to the front office, specifically to GM Les Snead and COO Kevin Demoff. He even has the trust of owner Stan Kroenke, who McVay called when the Rams were considering a deal for Stafford. With a coach and front office that works in unison like the Rams’ do, it’s no wonder they’re in contention almost every year.

3 Likes

And they won the Super Bowl.

I get there’s still pain around this.

My son is an Eagles fan, so he’s separated enough from the Lions, while aware of what they’ve put us all through. He said, “That team had a target on their back before any of them stepped on a field together. When has that ever happened before? And they actually pulled it off.”

For that, you have to respect the Rams.

McNay nutted up and did that thing.

11 Likes

The most butthurt people are Stafford fans. Its weird.

3 Likes

I’m one that hates that we traded Matt but I wouldn’t say there’s pain. It is what it is and after we squandered him away we handled it right when he requested a trade. At least it settled the Stafford debate lol!

This article makes me like McVay more. Rams front office sounds like a bunch of dudes that set egos aside to win. Pretty awesome

2 Likes

No, there was pain. It was painful to watch a talent like that squandered. I get why it happened, but it really sucked.

I am really excited about this team again though, so maybe it will all work out.

4 Likes

I guess I posted this more to show that McVay didn’t think Goff sucks, but felt he needed a bit more to win it all. Stafford is a bit more.

He felt he could win a lot with Goff and did year after year, but couldn’t win it all without luck.

As someone that has watched Goff for 10 years, I’m in the boat as well.

Winning it all takes a bit of luck and and overall strong team in all facets.

You can bring in a guy off the couch in an emergency. The rams did it twice in their super bowl runs in CJ Anderson and Eric Weddle to offset a late major injury. They even got Sonny Michell, Von Miller, and OJB as mid season mercs to offset injuries.

That said, it takes a deep and committed team in addition to a top QB. Is Goff good enough to overcome? I truly can’t say. He can make WRs better as evidenced by Reynolds, Ra, and Raymond. Can he overcome an injured OL? A missing RB? TE? He becomes way less effective.

I’m hoping the Lions go on a magical run this year. I truly think the Playoffs are possible. The NFC is ripe for the taking. The Packers may lose footing this year. The schedule is favorable.

The cards are falling into place for the Lions to exceed expectations. There is my Blue Koolaid and I’ll shut up now.

4 Likes

Yes, they had a guy who could get them close, but they needed someone who could get them farther. Not sure Matt could have got them there early in his career, but now, he and the Rams pulled it off. I think Goff has the ability to improve, that’s what good QB’s do, that’s what Matt did. People who think that Goff is already done, well, that book hasn’t been written.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
You say such things, and I never understand why?
Why would Stafford supporters be butthurt? We were right. He could win a Super Bowl.
Well, you got your response. I’m left to suppose that’s what you were looking for?
I will let you in on another little secret. Goff can, too!
Do you really think he’s worse than Dilfer, or Foles?
There are some butthurt people around here, that is for certain. Much more likely to be those who have been proven wrong from coast to coast, I’d think.

4 Likes

Dilfer and Foles shouldn’t be lumped together. Dilfer was along for the ride. Foles played very well and was a major factor in their Super Bowl run. Nick played better in that postseason than Peyton Manning played in his 2 successful Super Bowl runs. Most of Tom Brady’s rings came in postseason runs where he didn’t play as well as Nick Foles did that year.

1 Like

This-

Brady played equal to Goff in the most boring SB ever… not only did a 24 year old kid take on the GOAT- but he played a top D that allowed 50 less points than the Rams that year.

Stafford got lucky too… he avoided Lambeau, played a flat zona team, and every time a RAM got hurt, they traded for or signed hall off famers…

Very rarely does a team in any sport go all in that blatantly.

Good for them
Good for Matt

They won 3 playoff games by 3 points each, not 20 point blow outs.

It’s not like the Rams crushed teams

5 Likes

What I loved the most was that the moment was never too big for Stafford. I even came away a few times with the feeling that Stafford was a little bigger than the moment.

6 Likes

Is that what stats tell you, that Nick Foles is on par with Peyton Manning and Tim Brady ?

1 Like

Yet they still needed Stafford to pull off the magic at the end of each game, even after blowing out Brady and the Bucs and the team trying to give Brady another comeback, Stafford was lights out, including an incredible no look dime to Kupp, followed by another dime to Kupp deep for the walk off FG

7 Likes

If Trey Burke wins a championship and plays at or above the level of Steph Curry, its not really fair to say “you can win a championship with any dope, even Trey Burke.” The level he played at is important to remember.

Same. It was weird to project Lionization onto a player only to watch them get it done game after game. I waited for Stafford to fail. And it didn’t happen. Last season was bizarre as hell.

2 Likes

I feel like Stafford fans are happy AF. (as a Stafford fan, I can attest that I am).
Also happy for my lions. Shit’s about to get real in Detroit too.

Rams vs Lions in NFC title game next season, anyone?

6 Likes

Winner

1 Like

why “butthurt” ? the man recently won a super bowl and got a ring. I am perfectly happy for Matt…my only wish is he could-have won it in Detroit, but the owners and so-called “leaders” of this franchise couldn’t spell super bowl let alone correctly lead the team to winning because they couldn’t correctly build lines and their playcalling was sad and predictable .

3 Likes

I’m a Stafford fan and I’m far from butthurt. I’m glad he won a SB and I’m glad we got picks to launch our rebuild. What’s to be butthurt over?

4 Likes

These two plays were vintage Stafford:

And what we’d seen from him over and over again.

It was nice to see Stafford finally get the recognition he deserves.

3 Likes