McVay's Passionate Speech to Trade for Stafford

I’m glad for Matt that he was able to celebrate a Superbowl victory with the Rams. Admittedly I was hoping for a Rams crash-n-burn so we’d enjoy a higher draft pick, it just so happens that out GM made the draft-day trade of the decade, so it didn’t matter as much.
Matt’s a good QB, same as he was here but that drive was more about Kupp and the Bucs horrendous defensive play-calling, 35 seconds and you put single coverage on an all-out blitz?!?! Holy hell, the only thing worse is if they decided to not cover Kupp at all. Kudos to Matt for seeing Kupp running behind the Safety and the play before where he juked the defender into falling to the ground.
There’s a reason Kupp was the first non QB to get a vote for MVP of the league in the last 5 years. Not many WR’s you can say a team rode to a Superbowl but Kupp is one of them.

4 Likes

Scott, you aren’t kidding. That was grand larceny.

5 Likes

What McVay traded for was a 10+ year vet. Who’s been through it all at the end of games. Been around enough to be comfortable in his skin. To speak his mind to a coach or coordinator. To have his thoughts on the offense to be taken seriously. To be able to make throws a lot of guys just can’t.

To have already been through the growing pains of learning to be a QB in the NFL.

The things Goff doesn’t yet have. Will he ever remains to be seen. McVay traded for 7 years of experience under harsh conditions. He got what he expected.

1 Like

And now, by all accounts, Goff is tearing it up in camp.
You think I’m butt hurt over Stafford winning a Super Bowl?
Wait till Goff wins one here!
The haters can expect nothing more than :rofl::rofl::rofl: on everything they post.

1 Like

Sorry but Stafford froze the S on the no look pass to give him a tiny window to hit. The deep shot he also threw it early and floated it perfectly to Kupp, Kupp talked about it and what an incredible throw it was. In real time most didnt realize either pass was so good. Those were vintage Stafford and throws very few would make or attempt.

7 Likes

QBs I think lead the Rams to the SB last year besides Stafford: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson.

QBs I think get them close, but a toss up they win. More likely than not they don’t: Allen, Burrow, Herbert. Prescott. Out of all of these, I think Prescott as the best chance to get them over the top.

Goff takes them on a deep playoff run but loses.

What you should read that as… the Rams needed a vet presence that’s been there before. Someone McVay would view as a peer, not student, with the talent and skill set to run his offense. Those close guys - McVay would have a hard time trusting 100% at the start of last year.

I’m sure I’ve left someone out of the list. But you get the idea. McVay needed a certain type of guy at that particular time. He got lucky one of them was on the market and got him.

1 Like

I think that was the superbowl, not the game against the bucs.

1 Like

Was there a no-look pass in the game against the Bucs?

How many times has Aaron Rogers won?
It takes a complete team (like the one Brad and Dan are building) to get over the hump.

3 Likes

Oh, i got ya, no, that was the Bengals

Here is a good question, if you could trade 27 year old Goff back to the Rams along with Iffy and JW and next years first (Rams pick), for 34 year old Stafford and 3rd (trade value we gave for JW) would you make that trade today.

I would not. I am happy where we are and the value we got.

The Lions were not winning SB last year even with Stafford, so you let him play and maybe win another game or two and lose draft placement (costs you Hutch BTW) or you get value. Those are your options.

Lions get -
Stafford
3rd Round pick

Rams get-
Goff
Iffy
JW
1st next year (Rams pick)

5 Likes

That’s kind of the point. This franchise wasted Stafford, like CJ, like Barry. The trade was good for both teams.

Stafford proving some wrong, just icing on the cake

5 Likes

Definitely not.

3 Likes

Aaron Rodgers had Devante Adams. Tom Brady has had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and gronk. Does that mean they rode those players diminishing the play of their QBs? No. No it does not. It’s a team game. It’s always been. But cooper kupp being great doesn’t diminish Stafford’s accomplishment. No more than joe Montana throwing to rice, or Brady to gronk, or manning to Harrison. If you think “all Stafford had to do is throw to cupp” then you are just looking to detract from the QB for other reasons.

2 Likes

You can’t make a judgement on this. Iffy has barely played. JWill hasn’t even practiced. If you had to make a call right now… there’s no way you can go with what we got for Stafford. We literally have no evidence we got anything tangible yet.

1 Like

Yep. Any Lions fan saying that it wasn’t at least a little painful watching their former franchise QB who never won a playoff game in 12 years here go on to win the entire thing immediately upon departure is probably lying to themselves.
You could be happy for Stafford but also disappointed that it never happened for him here, just to state that for the record.

With that said, what’s done is done. I, personally, moved on from the Stafford era (him winning the SB was closure for me) and am now fully committed to the new chapter of Lions football.

4 Likes

Of course not. It was a trade that fit both teams timeline perfectly. The Rams got their SB while the Lions got a bridge QB (or possibly more) and a wealth of beans to fuel the rebuild.

2 Likes

I agree with what you are saying, and I suspect many felt that way. I didn’t. I Was just happy.

Lions will get theirs…SOON.

When ppl talk about “butthurt,” they are usually trying to insight conflict… which comes from their own “butt-hurted-ness.” Some of the Stafford haters think you have to love Goff to somehow “prove” something. Some of the Stafford haters can’t see a possible way that a person could simultaneously root for Stafford and Goff.

Super-common thing that ppl do → try to shove their own ideas and limited views onto other humans.

Go get that shit Stafford! Proud of you, man!
Go get that shit Goff! Elevate the Lions, Holmes!

3 Likes

John Matthew Stafford was never THEE problem here in Detroit. Yes the man made mistakes , he messed up , he wasn’t elite -here- , he threw Int’s , had a few bone-headed moments, but he was no different than any of the rest of our players, coaches, GM’s, or owners. IF our staff actually had their chit together and knew what they were actually doing…Stafford would-have reached a bowl or two here in 12 years…yet reality was this team was always sniffing the gutters under OUR ownership & leadership.

I always placed more blame at the feet of our owners and leaders over, any mistakes Stafford-himself made , because Matt Stafford did not sink the ship…not even close -by himself.

4 Likes