McVay's Passionate Speech to Trade for Stafford

Well said and I believe roughly accurate for most here

4 Likes

Unless its a pure blowout, most SB winners need luck on their side, no?

Word.
Same trade happens with pick 22, 26, 29, or 32. Thank you Kweze!

Hopefully we have an ascending Goff rather than a declining Staff. Love Staff, but it was time. And good for him.

No way. We tore it down, and it wasn’t fair to Matt to make him wait until we are ready. He might be 36. Look at his shoulder. Great point.

Well said, buddy. Pretty much how I feel. Actually, the first round draft day trade of the decade was closure for me!

1 Like

Still, the no-look pass was pretty great…but different game.

Having the awareness and being able to see that Kupp was going to run by the Safety on a play that wasn’t even designed to go to Kupp was great by Matt.
The game was in crunch-time and Matt only threw to Kupp that last drive, even on a play that Kupp was supposed to be a decoy…can’t knock Matt for knowing who to go to when he needed a play…and yes, Matt threw great passes to him.

The part that I don’t get about peoples reasoning for the Rams almost giving the game away is that they name-off all the screw-ups the Rams players did…and yeah, that’s basically the Bucs first half and the reason they were behind. It’s a team sport, right!!!
Either way, Matt played great and it was a great game. I still don’t know what the Bucs DC was thinking at the end of the game. Blitzing Matt is just dumb. Matt will make some bone-headed plays but it seems like they are rarely at the end of the game with the game on the line.

1 Like

Was Devante voted for MVP of the league? What about the entire Bucs WR’s?
Yeah, not the same.
But the point is somewhat the same, well at least for Davante, not the Bucs.
Aaron knows who is going to get open and gets him the ball, Matt did the same.

Matt did great feeding Kupp the ball but without Kupp last year, I think Matt is on another 6-8 win team.

1 Like

There is a graphic going around that compares Mike Evans to Davante Adams. Until I saw it I never realized Adams only has (3) 1,000 yard seasons.

Over a year ago nobody even put kupp in the top 5. Maybe, just maybe, Stafford contributed to his success.

3 Likes

The difference is Davante got better as the years went on where Evans came-in to the league better but stayed a 70-80 reception a year guy.

Career stats

Year Team REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS TD
2021 Packers 123 1,553 12.6 59 11 0 0 0
2020 Packers 115 1,374 11.9 56 18 0 0 0
2019 Packers 83 997 12.0 58 5 0 0 0
2018 Packers 111 1,386 12.5 57 13 0 0 0
2017 Packers 74 885 12.0 55 10 0 0 0
2016 Packers 75 997 13.3 66 12 0 0 0
2015 Packers 50 483 9.7 40 1 0 0 0
2014 Packers 38 446 11.7 45 3 0 0 0
Career 669 8,121 12.1 66 73 0 0 0

Career stats

Year Team REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG
2021 Buccaneers 74 1,035 14.0 46 14 1 10 10.0
2020 Buccaneers 70 1,006 14.4 50 13 0 0 -
2019 Buccaneers 67 1,157 17.3 67 8 0 0 -
2018 Buccaneers 86 1,524 17.7 72 8 0 0 -
2017 Buccaneers 71 1,001 14.1 42 5 0 0 -
2016 Buccaneers 96 1,321 13.8 45 12 0 0 -
2015 Buccaneers 74 1,206 16.3 68 3 0 0 -
2014 Buccaneers 68 1,051 15.5 56 12 0 0 -
Career 606 9,301 15.3 72 75 1 10 10.0

Different playing styles and usage. Mike Evans worst yards per catch of his entire career is better than Adams best yards per catch in his entire career. And Evans worst YPC corresponding to the most receptions…aka being used a little different.

The bottom line for me is the 1k yard mark. Regardless of how a guy is used if they are as highly regarded as Adams the 1k mark should happen every year. So it was news to me that he has only crossed it 3 times in an 8 year career.

There were several factors in Kupp’s success last year, one of them being Matt.

Not hard to get. We (pro-Stafford fans) knew we had a QB that was special and very capable of going all the way if we could give him an effing team. We couldn’t. We eventually sucked his soul dry and then let him lead another team to the ring. We knew how long we waited for a guy like that and feel the specter of taking another few high first round QB swings and coming up empty over the next decade. So yeah… not in the least bit weird to feel pain around the Stafford trade. Now I’m not mad at Matt. He gave more than most would have. Sucks but is what it is.

1 Like

He was short by 3 yards two separate years but he’s never started every game in a season and he’s only played in every game in a season once.

Yay another stafford thread… its simple the rams needed a closer. Stafford is one of the best closers in football. Out of all the qbs how many do you want with the ball in their hands short a score with under 2 mins left to win? Theres maybe 5-7 max of those guys and only 1 was available last season to trade… that was matt friggin stafford.

Well to answer the tried to give the game away part, 4 turnovers by the rams vs 2 by the bucs. The rams up 27-3, Kupp fumbles giving a short field, Akers fumbles giving another short field, and 2 other fumbles is why the game ended the way it did. If even 1 fumble doesnt occur, I don’t think it’s ever in doubt. 2 short fields saved a lot of time

The rams dominated. The Bucs were shut down. Brady 10-22, 112 tds 1 int. Fournette 6 carries for 28 yds, in the 1st half.

The rams became only the 11th team to win a road playoff game while turning it over 4 times. The Bucs were +2 in TO ratio, which allowed them to make a game out of it.

It’s also what allowed Stafford to shine in the biggest moment of the game. He outplayed Brady and if memory serves, he’s 3-1 against Brady, believe it or not. Well upon looking he’s 3-2 against Brady, but one loss he only played 1 series, so 3-1, lol

2 Likes

I think McVay was feeling the heat around the league that teams had figured his offense out. I think he knew they had a limited window and that Goff needed more time than they had.

26 Year Old Stafford wasn’t ready either. That’s partly why the Lions failed in 2014 when they assembled a pretty good team and got robbed by the refs in Dallas. The team didn’t have the experience to pull that win out after some bad calls that shook the team.

McVay also had a strained relationship with Goff. I think that played heavily into it. McVay later admitted he didn’t handle that situation well.

5 Likes

When ppl pre-suppose someone is their opposition…then pre-suppose that their “opposition” is butthurt…it’s usually an indicator that they are…in fact…butthurt. It’s called projection.
Amazing book talks about the principle of “you spot it, you got it.” This is a classic example. Projection…it’s something humans do when they are triggered (butthurt).

The difference between a judgenemt and an observation is the energy being the words. If you ever want to know if you can trust yourself or others around you, it’s ENERGY…read the energy. it is muuuuuch harder to read energy in text than hearing (especially seeing) it. Look more for strong and/or dramatic languaging.

Dramatic languaging (like butthurt) has a judgmental tone, and clues you in that it cold likely be projection…though not always…some ppl can use dramatic language from a place of extreme peace, but it is usually not the case

Yes- as an example: The no look pass to Kupp late in the Super bowl. There is a small number of QB’s that can make that throw and an even smaller number who would attempt the throw. Most QB’s would have just looked for a different option. I actually thought Matt should have been a co MVP at a minimum. Kupp does not even get the opportunity to catch some of those passes with another QB.

1 Like

Stafford is WAY better than he gets credit for by most in here. Listening to NFL players and coaches speak is far more telling then listening to fans that have sour grapes.

3 Likes

Detroit also playing very conservative heavily contributed to that Dallas playoff loss.

1 Like

Stafford was and is a very good QB. We were unable build around him do to management. I love seeing the culture change we have begged for since the Caldwell years. Unlike the Caldwell era we also have a very good GM.

I hope that the Ford’'s see the difference and how special this staff is they have put together. It scares me a little to hear Dan talking about the idea he would be run out of time for losing the first 3 games in his 2nd year. I like the focus on winning but I sure as hell don’t want to tear it apart and start over after just 2 years when the upward swing is so evident.

Players WANT to play for MCDC, they are resigning here to stay in this culture. We have not had to overpay a single player to compensate for them playing for Detroit. Football is fun to watch again and I don’t wanna lose that or feel the need to adopt another team.

1 Like

Can you be more specific?