Micah Parsons Draft Evaluation -- in play at 7?

Don’t have any facts but have heard there may be some other stuff in Parson’s back ground that could be significant. Again, was just an analyst speculating so who knows.

Agree Air! and this team desperately needs some identity- especially on D given their pitiful performance last yr. I am just nervous Miami views Parsons the same…

1 Like

I think if you view his interview he seems to show or express the fact that he has matured. As he mentioned if teams are going to hold him accountable to accusations or things he may have done at 17 or 18 then he doesn’t want to play for them. We have all made dumb mistakes in our youth. From his interview it seems he has grown and matured past that point and its not like he has done anything in the past yr or 2. Just my opinion I dont think his character concerns are all they are cracked up to be…if the Lions do their due diligence and take him @7 I would have no problem.

2 Likes

Parsons is going to be a stud in the NFL. I lived in York County PA and saw him play at Dauphin and Harrisburg High and then Penn State. I am not worried one bit about what he did as a teenager, Harrisburg is a rough area and if he made it through that and to Penn State he has my vote for 7OA.

3 Likes

With WR looking deep I am fine drafting Parsons. In fact now is the perfect time to draft Parsons as we have Collins meaning we have a solid veteran for Parsons to lean on.

Parsons, Collins, Alex Anzalibe, Julian Okwara with Tavai, JRM and Dion Hamilton would be a really good of LBers for 2021. The competition would be excellent with a number of guys fighting for a contract in 2022. Parsons takes over the middle in 2022.

So did you not mean what you wrote?

In his final two games against Texas Von Miller had 5.5 sacks. In 26 total games Parsons had 6.5 sacks. I get that they we’re used differently and that Parsons does have the tool box to be a quality pass rusher, I just think picking one of the great speed rushers of all time as the comparison is a bit much. That’s all.

1 Like

Hope you are right. I would hope after all the shit Penn State covered up in the past that wouldn’t happen now. If the Lions take him at 7 I’m good with it…even better if they drop a few spots and still grab him.

I agree with you on the interview. Definite improvement compared to his rep at the time, recognition of its importance right now and not on Reuben Foster’s level like I was worried about.

Context is important too. The things said in the interview are clearly marketing snippets which were strategically aligned with his workout. He was undoubtedly coached for it by his agent and their PR team. So while positive, the interview doesn’t move the needle for me in terms of selecting nor do I think it will for the lions. That’ll come down to all the stuff they’ve learned which we speculate about. I don’t think we’ll learn much more much until the true litmus test occurs on draft night.

I meant exactly what I wrote and meant to not do exactly what you did. Compare stats and numbers… I was simply stating that a team that drafts Parsons could have the ability to let him loose and rush the passer in a Von Miller like role. Who knows if Penn State decided to play him in th role of Von Miller maybe he would have had 5.5 sacks in his final 2 games… point is I was not intending to do what you did and compare the two. Sacks are an over rated stat IMO there is much more then just sacking the QB. I happen to think Parsons has quite the opportunity with coaching and experience to be a pretty damn good player

Then why did you bring up Von Miller as a comparison. Why not Devin White or someone along those lines?

I do not think Parsons will put up the sack numbers of Von Miller because he won’t be used the way Miller is.

Parsons is a more complete LBer and won’t be given the same opportunities that Miller had rushing the passer. Parson can line up at any LBer spot. He can rush the passer and drop in coverage without a drop off in play. That’s why Parson will be drafted high. The team that gets him will get a stud that can do it all… however Parsons will have some growing pains as he’s still a little raw but I think he’s no more raw than Devin White, LVE and Simmons were coming out.

1 Like

That statement doesn’t sound all that mature to me. In fact, it sounds very immature.

1 Like

My view is, if they draft him, fine. It’s certainly a pressing need and if the Lions did their due diligence, and believe he’s “not a turd,” the so be it.

By the same token, if they pass, I’d understand that too.

I agree with all of that. I just felt that Devin White’s pass rush skills were a better comp than Miller who is possibly a top 5-7 speed rusher of all time.

I have brought up others such as Luke Keuchley, Khalil Mack, and Devon White that I have felt Parsons has similar traits to in other posts. The point I was trying to make was to accentuate the fact that he has above average pass rush skills at this point in his career… in an effort to raise that point who better to bring up than Von Miller, a legend in that particular area of skill set. I am not comparing him to anyone in particular - Parsons is going to be Parsons and I think him in a Lions uniform can become a valuable piece to this franchise given the state of what the Lions are going through at the moment

That’s all fine. I agree with your general premise. I just thought that was an unfair expectation for any player but especially one that has never been featured that way. It’s no big deal really. Exciting time to be a Lions fan (finally) and that’s all that matters. Lane

With all due respect I think it is absolutely a mature statement. If you were a highly touted brain surgeon and numerous hospitals were coveting for your services would you go work for one whom you thought or knew had a grudge against you. Who in their right mind would want to start a relationship off without a clean slate…Hanging something over someones head or at least having that notion as a professional is not a great way to begin a relationship… Heck read the post here about Goff and his comments on McVay gf… who knows if that is reality or hearsay… point is he wants to go to a team that will give him a fresh start and clean slate no judgments so he can become the best he can with no distractions. He cannot control where he goes and if I were in his shoes I would hope the team that drafted me and trusted me with Millions of dollars would give me that respect.

Nope.

The mature thing would have been to admit his past mistakes. State that he’s learned from them, and that he hopes he gets a chance to prove himself to “whatever” NFL team might draft him.

He has said all of that.

Exactly…he said he made mistakes and that he moved on. I have no problem if the lions do not decide to take Parsons. I just do not think given the patheticness of their defense they can afford to pass on a prospect of his talent given where this franchise is. They need some nastiness and an attempt to put some sort of fear into an opponent. I can understand and have no problem if Sewell or Chase is there. Smith or Waddle while not bad prospects just don’t do it for me…given where the lions are at. For the record I’m fine with Sewell, Chase, Waddle or Smith in that order but Parsons just has something about him that I think can give this franchise a desperate spark it needs.