Micah Parsons Takes Top Rookie

I think it’s extraordinarily unlikely that the Lions would’ve taken two position players if the Carolina deal would’ve been taken. The QB position had to be addressed, and that isn’t accomplished with Teddy B.

2 Likes

If we did trade Staff to the Panthers I would’ve strongly preferred Sewell and Fields. I’m a Fields believer though.

3 Likes

I do think Holmes was legit excited about getting Goff

2 Likes

Agreed. I think Jared Goff is part of plans A, B, and C here.

1 Like

I think so too, guys

1 Like

I had Parsons at the top of my wish list in part because I assumed we wouldn’t get a chance at Sewell. I also thought he could be redundant (I love me some sour grapes), but it didn’t really matter because he was way too good to fall that far. There was no way that the Bengals and Dolphins would both be stupid enough to pass up a generational talent at LT, right? Certainly not when they have young QBs who spent last season getting pounded behind subpar offensive lines.

Their loss is our gain. Tua is already hurt again, and Burrow has been sacked 10 times in 2 games.

1 Like

I was huge on Parsons. I thought he was the best defensive player in the draft.

1 Like

My response would have been… sorry dude. Could have been Parsons or Fields and Sewell plus Bridgewater as the bridge QB. I loved Stafford but the guy didn’t walk on water. We got a great deal, I get it, but future picks are a reduction in value so it’s like we got a 2nd and 3rd for 2022 and 2023 picks vs the extra first rounder right now.

1 Like

I just threw up.

1 Like

We just need a body dude. IMHO neither Goff nor fill in the blank like Bridgewater will be the ones leading us to hardware 3-5 years from now. It will take us executing the next two drafts and evaluating guys like Parsons and Fields who we could have had in addition to Sewell to see if we made the right move or not. We’ll see.

1 Like

We weren’t going be led to the hardware by Stafford either.

Teddy is a complete waste of time. Like giving Patricia a 3rd season. No thanks.

2 Likes

I didn’t think either Fields or Sewell would be available at 7 & 8.

Parsons? Nice player but folks on here are IMO vastly overstating his impact.

1 Like

Lol. Dude has played 3 NFL games in 2 different positions and roles asked of him and crushed it. Kids a beast. Wanted him only behind Sewell so I’m not upset however this kid is gonna be a stud.

1 Like

I didn’t say otherwise. What I said is that folks are overstating his impact. He’s LaVarr Arrington with better pass rushing chops but a bit less gifted in space. That’s a really good player. But he’s not Ray Lewis. He’s not a sublime QB of a defense that just elevates everyone around him to a whole different level. Our defense would only be marginally better if we had Micah Parsons on it.

I am unconvinced that three years from now Iffy plus two first round defenders if we go that route won’t have a more profound impact on our defense and that doesn’t even factor in Goff (whom I’m higher on than most).

3 Likes

Two games and he didn’t really crush it against TB. He was up and down. I didn’t watch the San Diego game. 1 sack, Two QB hurries, 2 tackles … seems like he had a fine game but folks are making it sound like it was DT haunting Dave Krieg kind of stuff.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s used exclusively to rush the passer and becomes T.J. Watt. I’m still not sure that fixes the defense but :man_shrugging:

I’m thinking we did the right thing in taking Sewell. Happy for Parsons that he’s a great player and all of his hard work is paying off.
That said, Sewell is a monster who will have massive impact on the team as well.

Short yardage situations, just drive the nail into the wood - may as well just try not to get hurt. (this is why I was hoping we would run it on that 4th down play, last week…identity development). Just put J-will in and don’t even try to trick anyone. Run their ass over and hurt their feelings in the process.

Sewell was the right pick for us.

Honestly we don’t know what he is…I know he was the chess piece that had the ability to plug him in at certain spots at certain situations and take over. As far as being a qb of a defense give him time. Remember he is only been at lb for 2 years. This kid could be Ray Lewis type and more… his versatility is the whole reason why I and many others were drooling over him on top of his obvious God given athletic ability. He’s just scratching the surface. And yes he will elevate everyone around him once teams start to scheme around him which will be difficult given his versatility. Thats elevation. And FYI Sewell was the only other prospect in the draft I wanted over Parsons. Sewell will be lock down stud as well but a nasty D is just fkn nice to watch. And detroit has not had one since Suh and Co. Left

There is nothing that suggests that type of leadership abilities. There is evidence to the contrary however.

I can understand arguments for either Fields or Jones or perhaps even Slater. For me Fields is the only guy that I’d really consider over Sewell but I do agree that we made the right pick. Outland trophy winner in a season he mostly played at 18. Just think of how bat shot crazy that is. Or ministration

1 Like