Mike Valenti Proposes Trade for Lions to Land Matthew Judon

I don’t think we’re doing any more trades until we see what we have, and more importantly… who gets injured.

I wouldn’t be opposed to acquiring Judon….

especially if the Pats retain a good chunk of his salary.

That would up the draft pick comp though…
which may not be as easy since the Lions already traded away the 3rd rounder in 2025.

1 Like

I have a hard time wanting to trade draft capital for an old player coming off an injury who wants to get paid. That is 4 strikes against the idea.

14 Likes

I’d include an edge in the deal–Commish, Betts, or Agude–with less draft compensation.

Alternatively, I’d offer James Houston straight up for Judon.

2 Likes

Nailed it!!!

Happy Gilmore Win GIF

5 Likes

The thing about Mike Valenti is that he’s not really that good. I could see the station trading him for a copy of Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors on 8-track.

3 Likes

I’d rather win a Super Bowl than the 2025 draft.

Judon is coming off a biceps injury…,
not exactly a tough one to recover from in the NFL.

He has 32 sacks in his past 38 games.
Less than 120 players have EVER sacked a QB more than Judon.

Yes…. that is correct…. 32 sacks!!!

Almost every top pass rusher has played into his mid-30s.
Judon will be 32yo this year.

And……

in true Belichick fashion…

it is often good to acquire a player in a contract year….
because the player wants to earn a payday….
and he could result in a comp pick if he leaves.

1 Like

Id rather not blow our wad on one shot. I like Judon. Not enought to pay him (when i would 10000000000% rather pay alim, Hutch, decker, and iffy next year than pay that money to him), trade picks for him (when we have Brad Holmes), or take the risk on his age/injury.

Plus i want no part of any player who wants out of his current team over money. Doesn’t fit our team or culture.

We are building something special. Trust Brad’s plan.

3 Likes

I love that patience might just be our management’s super power.

I like our Edge situation. Plenty enough shots on goal for me to feel optimistic about a positive outcome.

1 Like

I did mention that that Pats could eat some of his salary…
which isn’t even that high at $6.5 million in 2024.

… and the Pats may be more motivated than Judon to move on…
so not sure why that is a concern at all.

Judon has been a class act his entire career.
He certainly fits the culture of any winning team.

Stay the course. We should and we will.

2 Likes

Why would that matter when he wants a huge contract. The numbers being discussed by major names was a 2yr/48 mil extension. That is the main reason i dont want him. That would definitely cost us some of our own guys resigning next year.

Then add in age and draft capitol lost. We lose our young guys AND future young guys for an old hurt guy who wants $$$$$$.

Would you rather trade capitol for judon for 3 years and lose mcneil next season or keep mcneil and roll the cap space this year? Basically you would have both for 1 season with the trade then short draft picks in 2025.

1 Like

What if its 2025 5th and 2026 6th they eat 50 percent. We one injury away from Hutchinson to not having a great pass rusher . Could be worth a shot

There’s no trade without a new deal, that’s the whole problem in NE and why there are trade rumors. Whoever trades for Judon will give him a new deal on top of whatever is traded for him… Since he’ll get a new contract, compensation should be lower, like a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Don’t think he’s a culture fit.

Lions fans “stay the course, we dont need Judon!”

(Brad signs Judon)

Same Lions fans “What a great move, Brad is a genius!!”

:laughing:

3 Likes

He wants a new deal.

New England doesn’t want to pay him.

A trade partner doesn’t have to pay him either.

He is going to be 32yo…. is he gonna sit out the year coming off an injury???

He has little leverage.

1 Like

Exactly. The 49ers traded for young last year and he did next to nothing for them. Even though he was in a contract year. I’d rather just keep building through the draft.

I have yet to see a trade proposal that mentions the most important quality to being a Lion – character.

2 Likes