MLB: Jim Bowden 1 ST standout player: Blue Jays & Tigers

Toronto Blue JaysAlejandro Kirk, C

Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 5-8 Weight: 245

Kirk was an All-Star and a Silver Slugger winner in 2022 when he slashed .285/.372/.415 with 19 doubles, 14 home runs and 63 RBIs. He wasn’t able to replicate those results last year as he hit .250/.334/.358 with 16 doubles, eight home runs and 43 RBIs. However, he appears to be in much better shape this spring and has hit two home runs in his first five games. After losing Matt Chapman in free agency and not adding much offense this offseason outside of Justin Turner, the Blue Jays need Kirk to have a bounce-back year; there are positive early signs he’s on a path to do that.

Ross Atkins, GM: “Alejandro has looked very strong thus far. His focus, work and routines have put him in position to be successful in every aspect of his game.”

1 Like

Detroit TigersAndy Ibañez, INF

Bats: R Throws: R
Height: 5-10 Weight: 205

It’s so important to have a 10th player on your roster as injury insurance who can step in at multiple positions if needed. That’s what Ibañez provides the Tigers. Last year he hit .264 with 11 home runs and a 102 OPS+ over 356 at-bats. He was worth 2.0 WAR. He’s having such a strong spring that some scouts believe he could be an everyday player. In the meantime, he’ll serve as a key replacement when rookie second baseman Colt Keith or veteran third baseman Gio Urshela needs a day off or face a bad pitching matchup.

Jeff Greenberg, GM: “Ibañez has had a strong camp. As we saw last year, he can help us in many ways. He brings a good approach to every at-bat and makes plenty of hard contact. He gives us versatility in several spots in the field. He is very routine-oriented, continues to put in quality work on his defense, and is prepared to contribute every day, whether he’s starting or coming off the bench.”

No doubt Ibanez is having a good ST, yet, to this point in ST, I like what Parker Meadows is showing with the bat.

If he can show some type of avg offense then add in his plus defense in CF and I will be thrilled.

The two turds that harris signed better pitch better then what they did yesterday. Still don’t trust this team getting to next level

from Imgflip Meme Generator

1 Like

I love Kirky… had a rough 2023 but in 2022 dude was killing it.

He’s more like five foot five…250 pounds. Runs slower than a turtle… but he can catch and hit.

If there was an award for a pro athlete that doesn’t look like one… Kirk is nominated for sure.

Hitting Regular Season GIF by MLB

He looks like every beer league softball catcher I’ve ever played with

And he’s barely 25… his physical peak. Lol

Also @Weaselpuppy

Coming home to Canada for a victory lap maybe

I called that one 4 months ago…Votto signed with the Jays today. Desperation mode activated. Lol

The Jays signed a 39 year old Turner and 40 year old Votto. :joy:

1 Like

Guessing he isn’t making the standout list, or he’s making the wrong standout list…hell of a throw. @stephenboyd57

https://x.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1770165255055790198?s=20

Here’s a better highlight for you…

https://x.com/KeeganMatheson/status/1770163175851225492?s=20

1 Like

We traded for Varsho last offseason. He had a rough season. But he’s got an elite glove and tons of power. Sure hope he sorts it out. Been having a strong spring if that means anything who knows.

That kid from Baltimore…Holliday is a complete stud. He homered as well. Baltimore might be the best team in baseball. Just one young stud after another. They won 100 games last year and added more talent

Agree on Baltimore.

1 Like