Mlive: Meineke's final mock draft has the Lions taking QB Justin Fields

Yeah, but the Lions don’t ask us for our opinion.

Also, it isn’t prison.

MCDC should use this for a motivational banner in the locker room.

1 Like

Sounds like Stafford at the same age.

3 Likes

It’s called illogical.

These are PROFESSIONAL football players. These are grown men that a coach/GM have looked in the eye and told them “Goff is our guy”. They’ve told Goff this. They’ve told FA’s this. They’ve told coaches this.

Professionals understand if they aren’t performing they are likely to get replaced by someone young/better/cheaper. That wouldn’t be the case here. This would be a new coach/GM openly lying to their new team. They would be done in Detroit before they ever got started, all in the hopes that the 4th or even 5th QB taken will somehow be worth destroying your new relationship with your new team.

How do you know that?

What are they supposed to do? Trade for a quarterback and say “man this guy sucks!”? “Yeah we only took him because we had to take his contract to facilitate the trade.”

People still believe having Goff means we won’t take a QB? Goff is a stopgap. We took him in because he was better than anyone else we could get via free agency or trade, and it allows us some flexibility in finding the future QB. I’m glad he’s here, because he’s a pretty damn good insurance policy. If he works out then great, but I doubt his presence means that our new staff feels the QB situation is settled indefinitely.

1 Like

You’re arguing for the 3rd best QB in this draft and someone who would be taken behind Goff if they came-out in the same year. Ohio State had one of the most loaded teams in the nation and what did Fields do in their bowl games? What has he won?
Hard to beat a team like Clemson when your QB throws 2 interceptions, wouldn’t you agree?
Or completes 51.5% against Alabama?

I know you love you some Justin Fields but to me the kid is a choke-artist…and we just got rid of one QB who couldn’t win big games.

Sorry my man, Fields has flop written all over him to me. He’s literally like the one player I don’t want the Lions to draft.

I’m pretty sure this has been discussed A LOT. Even the Rams fans came here and said that McVay is looking desperate and is blaming his coaching woes on Goff. Not to mention that we were one of the only teams that could take-on Goff’s contract. Let me ask you this, if Goff sucks so badly, then why did McVay tell the Rams to pay him ?
McVay is a weasel (no offense @Weaselpuppy LOL), the Rams are going to flop and it’s going to be a beautiful thing to watch.

2 Likes

A. He beat Clemson. By 21. With broken ribs he sustained that night.

Second, how many of Ohio State’s true junior class in 2018, so the guys that are just now draft eligible, declared for the draft? I’ll help you out…

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Season/2018-Football/Commits/

The answer would be 1, Tommy Togiai, who was supposed to have gone back to college.

You’ve also probably only heard of Chris Olave in that class of the other guys too.

Also, Alabama is probably going to have 6 1st rounders this year. Ohio State will have 1.

Yes, Ohio State is much better than 95% of CFB teams. So is Clemson, and so is Alabama.

And here’s this for reference…

But you call Goff a “winner”? Goff scored 3 points in the biggest game of his career. “Oh but he won playoff games!!” So did Fields.

Don’t even get me started on this. They should’ve won that game. You know it, I know it, everyone except Clemson fans knows it.

And it’s really easy to beat Clemson when your QB throws 6 touchdowns. Wouldn’t you agree?

Because he was good enough to facilitate the team and be carried by Aaron Donald to Super Bowls. And also, again, they traded him and 2 1st round picks to get another QB. Why do you think that is? Maybe he got worse since then? Same coach, by the way. Same FO too.

With like 3 broken ribs. In college. Also there’s the totally plausible reasoning that Alabama was a better team than Ohio State, and since teams win games, not quarterbacks, Alabama won the game.

It’s more about believing its stupid to have taken on Goff and his contract if we were going to draft a QB. But we are the Lions, so doing stupid chit is the norm.

If that’s what it takes to get the guy who is better than Goff, then I’m all for it.

Yes, Aaron Donald and his vaunted 20th ranked defense. Thankfully they had a chance to play the Cardinals twice back when the Cards were an all time bad offense…or it would have been worse. When Kirk Cousins dropped 400 yards and 31 points on them, Jared was sipping on tea thanking God he didn’t have to do anything but ride his defense. :rofl:

4 Likes

Seems smart to not get too far into the offseason with zero options at QB imo. Having Goff means we can have conversations about trading down. It also means we don’t have to take a QB this year if we aren’t fully in love with the prospect, because we aren’t desperate. But if a QB falls that they believe is the next elite franchise QB, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we pulled the trigger.

2 Likes

Boy Wonder: The Play

Act one: “I love my quarterback. He’s incredibly good. Let’s give him a boatload of money.”

Act two: “I hate my quarterback. I give him the finest micromanaging available in the NFL, yet all he does is win a playoff game with a dislocated finger on his passing hand. Dump him in the alley.“

Act 3: “ I love Matt Stafford, my quarterback.“

Epilogue: “ Goddamnit. No one could have seen this coming, not even me. “

2 Likes

You are still saying stuff like “wouldn’t surprise me.” We are talking about our personal opinions on the matter. And yes it would be dumb to trade for a $25M QB, double down on it by restructuring his contract, then on a team with a need at 14 starting positions…we draft a backup QB.

3 Likes

The reason there is a real possibility the Lions draft a QB in the first round is simple - If you hit on that player at that position there is no better outcome you can get out of a draft pick. Would you trade Goff for Mahomes? Lamar? Russ? Watson? If you think you can get that guy and not have to pay him $50 million a season for a few years than you do it.

1 Like

Yes, I phrased that intentionally because I know I’m posting opinion. You are speaking definitively while using normative terms like “dumb,” and seem to think you’re speaking in empirical facts.

1 Like

Here, I’ll fix it for you…

Act 2: “I hate my quarterback. I give him the finest micromanaging available in the NFL, yet all he does is win a playoff game with a dislocated finger on his passing hand. Dump him in the alley."

Act 3: Let’s trade that guy and two 1st round picks for another guy who hasn’t won any playoff games, let alone with a dislocated finger.

Act 4: “I love Matt Stafford, my quarterback.”

You’re really trying to tell me that the guy the football community and national media believes to be the wonder boy would knowingly make a downgrade at quarterback and also give up two 1st round picks to do it?

In Detroit Mahomes would be the same idiot we saw running around scoring 9 points with a 52 QB rating in the Super Bowl. He is great as a Chief. That game would be his 16 game reality as a Lion…minus the weapons.

1 Like

Dumb is an opinion. And yes it would be dumb.:rofl:

And yes that means it’s right up our alley.

1 Like

So what is Goff going to be here?

2 Likes