Mlive: Meineke's final mock draft has the Lions taking QB Justin Fields

Who couldn’t Fields beat-out at Georgia again and had to transfer?

Sorry, I forgot to add that I’d take Mac Jones before Fields as well…possibly even Trey Lance if he had more tape but it’s a kind-of a toss-up at this point.
So we’re really talking about hoping to get the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft is supposed to take us to the promise land?!?!

2 Likes

When was the last time 4 QBs represented 4 of DJs top 8 players in the draft?

Serious question. Can anyone name a draft where half the top 10 were QBs?

Not where they were drafted, rather where their grade ranked in the field that year.

2 Likes

That would be like Belichick putting in Garoppolo after Tom Brady just took them to the Super Bowl.

Yes, I know he actually wanted to do this. You get my point. Kind of hard to beat out an incumbent starter that just took your school to the playoffs for the 1st time.

That’s entirely subjective. I’ve provided my reasoning as to why I think Fields is at least QB2.

I dunno, man. Still seems smart to go into the draft with options, all of which are on the table because we ate that contract and added Goff to the roster. And it also seems like a smart, non-SOL move to proactively find our future franchise QB before desperation makes the choice for us.

@Snags I’ve got another question for you. What did Goff win at Cal? The Holiday Bowl maybe? Didn’t even win the conference.

1 Like

There is no planet in which I’m taking Jones or Lance over Fields. Fields is my 2nd ranked QB in this draft. Wilson is my 3rd. I have no interest in taking Jones or Lance high in the draft.

2 Likes

Yes, that Wonder What Happened Boy. The one who freely endorsed giving him a huge contract extension before discovering that he was trash. In his defense, he only had a front row seat for 2 years to figure it out.

“I know I told you to drive north for the last two hours, but we’ve got to turn around and go south. Forget what I said before. I know what I’m doing…”

1 Like

$25M is serious money and the #7 overall pick is a serious pick. I can’t engage in a flippant conversation about either of them as if using either or both is “just keeping our options open.”

2 Likes

Nothing Meinke said is wrong.

The Lions need a QB (Let’s hope Goff is the future, but assuming he is the future —or that the Lions even view him in that light—still makes me chuckle). I just don’t buy the Fields hype or using that early of a pick on a QB, especially with multiple first rounders the next few seasons.

2 Likes

Cal had like the 41st ranked recruiting class in 2013 when Goff went there, not sure even Lawrence would have won much there…but here’s what Goff did in his last game, their bowl game.

Goff fell one touchdown short of tying the record for most passing touchdowns in a bowl game, and broke multiple records in the process.

1 Like

HSVLion is taking some hard punches here, IMO…But he’s returning some real shots, too…Good to see… :rofl:

But Goff is the reason the Rams won all those games, and not the overall team? Right? You did call Goff a winner…

Don’t see how you, or anyone else for that matter, can claim Cal didn’t win because of the lack of talent around Goff, and also that Goff was the reason all of the talent on the Rams roster won, and that it wasn’t that they were just a better team than the teams they played.

Goff was the no. 1 pick in his class after all. That would mean he was pretty good in college. So he wasn’t the problem at Cal, and if quarterbacks are what causes wins and losses, then they should’ve at least won the conference.

Differences of opinions makes the world go around. Like I said, I think Fields will flop in the NFL. Maybe he can eventually go to Buffalo and finally beat-out Fromm.

1 Like

He’s returning fire but he’s resorted to making intellectually dishonest arguments. So there’s that.

2 Likes

Wes -It would be Ali-Frazier, You & Me, you’d be real tough in the clinches with your reasoning, in some arguments, but IMO, I would just continue to Jab, from distance, and take occasional shots to the head/body. I’m very aware of your punching (argument) power, which I greatly respect…You’ve got a wicked uppercut…I’d have to bob-and weave and get on my horse around the squared circle in football logic. It would go the Distance !!!.. :rofl: - GOALPOST

Does Goff really have more turnovers than anyone else in the last two years? Surprising stat!

Fair enough, those are serious things. But my reasoning was not just keeping options open, although that’s a big part of it. When taking our entire situation into consideration, getting Goff as an insurance policy while dealing Stafford was smart imo. It’s the most important position and going into the offseason desperate for a QB rarely yields great results. Looking beyond the next year or so and finding the future franchise QB also makes sense to me, regardless of Goff and his contract. We know this is a rebuilding year. We knew our dead cap hit was massive and we weren’t making big FA splashes, so I don’t consider eating Goff’s contract a make or break thing. We also know that Goff might not be here in a year or so, and there’s no way of knowing when we’ll be in the position to draft a franchise QB again. If we believe one of the QB’s that fall to us is our guy, then I think we have to pull the trigger regardless of who is currently on the roster. If we don’t have faith, then having Goff allows us to trade down or take any other stud who is sitting there.

I just don’t see any of that as dumb. The team put themselves in a position to let the draft come to them.

This is how I feel. The only reason I would take Fields if he fell is I think he has hall of fame potential. I really do think he had that level of talent. A lot more then just talent goes into that kind of career of course.

1 Like

Second most after Patricia. Though he only had Apple Turnovers.

2 Likes

I didn’t think he was that selective; there’s cherry, blueberry, peach, etc.