Nah... they should probably draft a qb

Sure Hooker in rd 3 but he’s going to go much higher than he should IMO.

That age tho is an issue I think

Such a long ways to go before the draft. We will see how it all plays out… I just want to see the young guys keep playing and improving… I don’t care about wins and loses right now. Lets hopefully get some clarity at the end of the year on who is going to be the future of the team and who is not. We are seeing some of it now. Hutch is growing, Swift cant stay healthy, Goff is showing what he can and cant do. But still so many questions How will Barns and Rodriguez finish the year?. Be nice to see J Williams get out there for a few games, see what we got in him. Can Okudah finish the season strong? Goff will right his own destiny in these last few weeks… If the Lions think one of these rookie Qbs is worth taking a shot at. Im all for it. You still got Goff for another year if you want and you still got enough draft capital to work on the defense

This is the funny part…. We have a QB who might win us 6 games with a banged up OL, arexeiving corps and TE room full of UDFA, and a RB that gave us our #1 RB for exactly one full week…

Goff is on pace for 4300 yards… 64% completions… 28.5 TDs and 13 ints…. In 2021 that wod
Have put him 9th in yards… 9th in TDs and 14th in ints-

• then consider

Swift- 28%
Chark- 22%
Jamo- 0%
ASB- 62%
Hock- 67%

So our top five WEAPUNZ- have averaged 35% snap counts….

By comparison

Singletary- 71%
G Davis- 83%
S Diggs- 78%
I McKenzie- 42%
D Knox- 72%

• their top 5 in Buffalo have played 70% on average- or more than ANY ONE of our guys

Or…

D Cook- 73%
Theilen- 94%
J Jefferson- 98%
Osborn 76%
Irv Smith- 41%

• on average that’s 77%, but add in Hocks 22% since they traded high draft capital to fortify their cast for Cousins. So technically our numbers are even worse since our starting TE is now worse and even the his snap count is lower on the year. Hock was one of our most reliable healthy options. Yet we are 2-0 w/o him

Or

-Miami-
Mostert- 57%
T Hill- 77%
Waddle- 77%
Scherfield- 57%
Gesecki- 51%

• 63% but again they traded to bolster their RB room and thus Jeff Wilson has 70 snaps in 2 games replacing Mosterts, not that they lost him to injury and needed to play a backup

M Sanders- 61%
D Smith- 91%
AJ Brown- 82%
Q Watkins- 57%
Goedert- 88%

• Philly at 76% but they just lost Goedert, lets we what impact that has going forward.

CEH- 36%
Kelce- 79%
MVS- 74%
JuJu- 70%
Hardman- 48%

• even the Chiefs who mix
    And match personnel more than anyone in the league, not really due to injury- they- even at 62%

• what would our record be with Swift playing 75% of the snaps, Jamo at 98% and Saint at 94%? I am pretty damn sure we’d have beat the Vikings, Seahawks and Dolphins….

• Draft a QB? Who? When?

So when draft day rolls around and all these prospects have been picked apart- what happens when they all fall outside of Stroud and maybe Young….

Young- way to small, huge drop off in play once he didn’t have a massive talent advantage around him…. Slightly above average arm.

Levis- I’m still intrigued. Not wanting to spend a first on him, but if a coach could put it together… at least he has Mahomes size, speed (more) and comparable arm “strength- obviously not talent.”

• it’s funny posters will pick apart a game or two of his, but nobody talks about how bad Josh Allen was at Wyoming… 16 tds passing against nobody’s? Levis is a traits and tools pick… like J Allen, Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford…. Guys who never had Heisman Stats nor championship team around them, but could spin the rock

Hooker- like Young where there simply aren’t instances of successful 5’10 190 pound QBs, there aren’t many 25 year old rookies that succeed at QB either….

A Richardson- his ypa, comp %, and eating are all decreasing significantly. So are his yards per rushing attempt… he shows zero ability to read a defense, throws everything at 65 MPH, and will finish a college career without ever throwing 20 td passes. No thanks.

3 Likes

If the Lions aren’t in love with the QB that falls to them it would be stupid to take him unless its in the 4th round or beyond. Too many other huge needs and we have a top 12 QB now with mash unit of WR’s. Wonder what Goffs stats would look like if he had a full compliment of NFL Wr’s this year. I would assume much higher then where he is now. Unless Goff just totally shits the bed the rest of the year QB early is not on the Lions Radar unless a QB god falls to them.

1 Like

Agree 100%

Cedric Tillman and Hyatt will both go in the top 45-60 picks after they run…. He’s got talent around him-

Imagine Jared Goff playing with THOSE two receivers in college at 24 years of age!

Instead at age 24 J Goff was a top 5 candidate in the “NFL MVP race” and then took his team to the the SB…. Yes he struggled against Bill B and TB12… at “age 24… in the freaking SB”.

When you consider Goff threw 43 TDs to literal nobody’s in college at age 21…. Then made 2 nfl pro bowls, had 2 playoff runs, had 2 seasons with 100 plus rating by the time he was Levis or Hookers age- I will pass!

Penix if there in round 5, or Bo Nix, or even KJ Jefferson in round 5 are my choices…

Penix throws darts… and will have 4500 yards and 32-34 tds with low ints against decent competition, and while he doesn’t run, he can. Even just the 2 rushing TDs consistently each year show some ability.

• Stroud, Penix, Nix and Jefferson are guys I’m watching. Seeing Stroud use his legs the last 2 weeks has gotten my attention. Let’s see if he can show up against MI, and if so, can he function against Georgia- if so I’d be interested for sure because I think he has better touch and accuracy than Fields….
2 Likes

To early to tell, a lot of process left if they like Hooker that much maybe. I’m not big on trading up. Looking for a mid Rd guy like Nix would be fine if your guy isn’t there. We got 2 pics in the first giving up 1 for a future QB I’m ok with and seems like the perfect opertunily to do so. But they need to love that guy and not reach. Im not sure they will be a guy they like that much high. But if they love a guy get him in here and sit him behind Goff for a year.

2 Likes

A) Many see the Vikings, 49ers, Titans, Cowboys, and say…… I don’t want to get to the playoffs just to get knocked out.

B) Many see the Eagles, Jets, Dolphins, and Giants and think “see a rookie QB contract…”

C) many see Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow and say “we need to find our guy like that!”

The reality is that history gives the A) group a pretty decent chance at winning this years SB-

The reality is that the 2nd group had insane talent around those rookie QBs (outside of Gmen who none of us believe are a threat, and nobody would be shocked if they went 7-10 in 2024) and pretty good defenses too…. Also group B) doesn’t have a playoff win in years… HURTS, TUA, and JONES are all gonna have hands out this offseason. Tua and Hurts should get their 45M per year plus deals…. Jones will be in limbo- as will the Giants QB spot- pay a middling guy? Trade 2 years of drafts to move up to #10 and take the #3 QB? Holmes will gladly oblige!!!

• so group C… yes we all want Allen, Burrow, or Mahomes…. So do the 28 other teams they don’t play for.

Pat Mahomes started this…. He was the 50 TDs and multiple SB appearances on his rookie deal guy….

Show me that 6’3” 230 QB in this class with a cannon arm (62 mph) and solid speed (19mph to rushing speed with ball)…. Beyond that it’s the athletic creativity with him. The ball fake, flips, knowing when to fake going OB and cut back in for first down. He’s playing chess!

Show me the 6’5” 240 pound monster who runs over linebackers and leaps over safeties with a top 2-3 arm in the last 20 years.

Show me the swag filled leader who embarrassed Clemson, Bama, Georgia, and Oklahoma by a combined 80 points while throwing “60 tds” in the sec. Also 6’3” and 220 plus with decent speed

1 Like

Agreed, there are enough defensive impact players in this draft that we can add several key pieces. Much more team-changing than reaching for a QB prospect.

1 Like

I wonder what it would look like if he didn’t panic under pressure, or used his pocket correctly.

Once again you guys are complaining about Goffs weapons in one breath. Then in the next you try to say we need to draft defense the offense is fine. Lol

1 Like

This is what holds me back some in him. Hate system QBs there almost impossible to gage in there transformation to the NFL.

They aren’t saying everything is fine on offense. They are saying we have the worst defense in NFL history. So…you know…maybe we should upgrade?

Whether it is Jarod Goff or any QB for that matter they will not have a full compliment of weapons through out a full season. Injuries happen and always will. Same with building a defense. Chances are if you got a loaded top ten D. With the Cap the way it is your probably going to have to be playing rookies and some low cost guys on the offense
Your QB really needs to be a play maker, either with his Arm, legs or both. We can argue that Jarod Goff is a play making QB or not, thats totally fine. Im giving him till the end of the year to show the world what he is about. Right now after a season and a half, I see a good QB that you can win games with but not a guy that makes plays and gives defenses nightmares. I think you can win a Superbowl with Goff. But you are going to need at least a top 15 defense, a above average offense line. A top 10 running game. Speedy wide receivers with good to great hands and a clutch tight end or slot receiver to make it happen. All along with staying healthy . At his current cap hit, thats a mighty tall order.

1 Like

What ? you only hear what you want, plenty of talk about our top 10 offense we need to go all defense Lol .

1 Like

Are you really suggesting that if you draft a QB you can’t upgrade the defense ?

1 Like

Everyone is. The gaslighting Is incredible. We literally have an EXTRA first round pick

1 Like

With cap room for likely 2 new starters and 3 draft pick starters with another time share player from FA and the draft on top, there is room to do whatever they want.

What they need is both FA starters on D, so they can gel the young talent with vets that draw a lot of attention. They really don’t need a FA starter on O as long as they re-sign Brown to play OG. They have committed to going cheap at TE and should give the current group a season of runway, maybe with a vet like we did with Daniel Fells coming in to cap the downside if it all goes to hell. Could they bring a vet at WR? Sure, they need a body guy like Cephus that can actually play.

That really leaves room for one of those firsts to be a QB. I don’t think that’s how it will go, but it is very possible.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to reality vs abstract

Abstract: With one of our first round picks we need to get the next Patrick Mahomes

Reality: Unless the Rams lose out, maybe Levis is within reach in the first and he looked awful Saturday against Vanderbilt - After that who is there? Hooker? Do we try and trade up for Young or Stroud and spend both firsts and probably next years second on one of these rookie QBs?

Wouldn’t it be better to draft a later round tools QB and spend the early draft capital on DE/DT/LB/CB?

1 Like

The more I see this years QB’s … the more obvious it becomes that nobody other than Young is an upgrade.

Sucks, because this should have been the year to get our next franchise guy.

I also don’t see any good QB FA’s that are worth really going after. I mean, maybe someone like Mills can be an upgrade from Sudfeld at backup, if the Texans move in a different direction.

Brad has his work cutout for him … but we need a hulk or two at DT, a real LB’er or two (probably two), and then fill in everywhere else with players than aren’t recovering from ACL’s or Achilles.

3 Likes

I agree with most of this…

1. Brady
  2. Mahomes- he’s done more with less around him than many others on this less early on…
  3. Montana- he sure had teams around him, but he definitely did his part
  4. P Manning- SB’s rings with 2 different teams, and was coach on the field
  5. A Rodgers- I hate him, but his team always failed to give him the supporting cast for some reason?

After that group it’s a bunch of guys like Brees, Kelly, Rivers, Big Ben, Eli, Brett Favre, Aikman, Marino, Josh Allen, Elway etc…

• Bottom line the NFL has had no more than 8-10 “ACTUAL FRANCHISE QBs” in 40 years… When 2-3 more years go by, and Allen- nor Burrow- nor Herbert have a ring… what do we consider them?
  1. First round talent
  2. Pro Bowl level play at times in NFL
  3. Playoff wins
  4. Super Bowl Appearance
  • that’s a TALL TALL TALL order for any of these kids to measure up to, and we literally already have that guy… Now if Stafford was in LA overcoming the injuries and sitting at 7-2… We may have a reason to start discussing Goff…

• I ask you guys to look at the start of 2019 Rams D… The Rams RB room… and the Rams OL- not much different than the 2022 Rams who are on pace to win 6 games… ONLY THEN- Goff had 20 TDs and 16 ints… and went 9-7… Facing similar challenges right now- Stafford is staring at 6-11 and is on pace for 15 Tds and 15 ints…

• We all agree our OL is banged up… Our WRs and TEs throughout this year so far haven’t been NFL level… and nobody would have called Jamal Williams a legit starting RB 5 months ago…

1 Like