Nakobe Dean vs Malcolm Rodriguez Opinions Wanted

I’ll readily admit that I haven’t been studying linebackers in this draft as much as I probably ought to be, but in seeing Nakobe Dean mocked to us in so many mock drafts, it seems fair to question what the discernable difference is between these two in particular. Both have similar measurements, both have similar numbers.

Rodriguez is mocked in the 6th round on average, with his size being the biggest knock against him, and yet the same size concerns don’t seem to impact Dean being considered a 1st round target.

I’d really like some feedback on this. Is Dean being overhyped? Is Rodriguez flying under the radar like Zach Thomas? Is the truth somewhere in the middle? Is there a significant athletic difference between the two?

1 Like

In his NFL.com profile, an NFC scout said Dean was Jessie Tuggle. That’s good enough for me.

(Rodriguez is a weird case. Everyone talks about his wrestling background but a knock was missed tackles, so not sure what to make of him)

Being that he had 129 combined tackles last year, I’d have to question where his teammates were vacationing during the games last year :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

I am sure @Thats2 will get around to giving his 2 cents here… since he seems to like Malcolm a lil bit… but I figured I would help grease the wheels while we wait for him to see this thread….

3 Likes

He will miss a tackle now and again due to his lack of length and I would say that’s probably the biggest concern with him. But he’s much better taking on blocks than his size would indicate due to the wrestling background and if he gets his hands on you, you’re going down. He also covers a lot of ground sideline to sideline and is excellent in coverage.

I love both he and and Dean and they are in fact similar prospects. I still have Dean higher because he’s 1) a lot younger, 2) a better blitzer (though Rodriguez is no slouch), and 3) longer, which matters at LB. He will likely make more tackles in the league because he’ll get his hands on more guys. But they’re both highly instinctive and great leaders, captain of the D type dudes.

3 Likes

4 Likes

According to the combine measurements, they are the same height, Dean’s arms are 1 3/4" longer, but Rodriguez has larger hands and a 39.5" vertical. Seems a lot closer than four rounds of mock draft position difference would seem to indicate.

Oh I think Rodriguez is every bet the athlete Dean is, maybe not as fast in a straight line but maybe even more explosive. But length at LB matters to keep blockers at bay while hunting the ball and to reach RBs as they try to blow by. Rodriguez is great wrestling with blockers but when he struggles, it’s usually because of his length. He’s got a ton of tackles but he might lead college in almost-tackles as well. Two inches can be the difference between getting a hand on a guy and grabbing him. He mitigates for this with savvy and a really strong grip, but it will show up from time to time.

1 Like

I can’t speak for Rodriguez but I highly value Dean for his mind. I think he has a lot of physical attributes as well but i think he’s the right guy to make sure our defense is in it’s proper places with understood assignments as much as is humanly possible.

1 Like

I’m beginning to formulate the opinion that Dean is being graded properly and Rodriguez is being undervalued. Thoughts?

I’ve included a link to Zach Thomas’s combine numbers from 96. I think it’s relevant. Keep in mind looking at this that Rodriguez ran a 4.52, has a 39.5" vertical, and pumped out 36 reps on the bench press.

I just didn’t watch Rodriguez enough to say. @thats2 is an alum so he would know. Though the glasses might be orange and black tinted.

I kind of want Domann as a second LBer. Durability is rightfully a major concern but his coverage ability at LB is obscene. Butler for his instinct in zone coverage and Domann’s ability to man up all sorts of guys would both be excellent day 3 options IMO. We should probably get a more dependable backer first though.

I’ve heard good things about Aaron Hansford as well. I think there’s a lot of kids out there that can help beef up the LB unit and special teams coverage. I think this might be a good year to have a small trade down, at some point for a couple later picks, and pick up some of these bodies.

Heh, I try not to go too overboard with love for my Cowboys. Maybe overly so, to be honest, so I can’t be accused of nepotism. I certainly never saw Chris Carson coming.

But I do like Rodriguez a lot, he just got better and better and better every year. He might be my favorite OSU prospect since Dez. I liked Teven Jenkins and Wallace well enough last year and I liked Kendall Hunter back in the day, but they weren’t draft crushes or anything. And I saw the Justin Gilbert bust coming from a mile away.

1 Like

Also, Zierlein over at NFL.com has Rodriguez rated higher than Muma, Troy Anderson, Chenal and Asamoah, so it’s not like he’s being completely ignored.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was looking at Muma last night. Not seeing “it”. Looks stiff and doesn’t look quick as you’d expect on film. He looks like he plays slower than he times.

Dean reminds me of Ernie Sims. He’s a hard charger, that hurts himself.
If he plays like that in the NFL, his availability will be limited (due to injury).
If he doesn’t play like that, he will be ineffective.
I don’t know enough about Rodriguez to have an opinion.

I think he’s much more instinctive than Sims. Similarly built and probably pretty similar athletes (at least it looks that way on tape), but Ernie never saw a tackle he couldn’t miss. The guy played too out-of-control whereas Dean is the opposite. Once he diagnoses a play he’s all systems go, but he plays within himself to get to that point.

2 Likes

Ernie Sims couldn’t cover anybody. Dean definitely has coverage chops.

2 Likes

I get that. My point is more about availability.
Injured “great player’s” don’t do much for a team.