Nate Sudfeld?

Here are the “good” highlights:

And I don’t see anything particularly remarkable about this guy.

Head scratcher of a signing.

2 Likes

Our waiver wire spot and “new” philosophy gave me hope. Man, I feel stupid lol. We grabbed about the least inspiring guy outside Nate Peterman.

2 Likes

Ha, they picked up the Eagles 2021 tank commander.
I like Holmes well enough but his QB evaluation skills…uh… …leaves something to be desired.

They might as well have just kept the guy who knew the system in Blough if this is the best they could come up with.

3 Likes

100%. They may have found ind a way to get worse at back up. At least Blough could move.

1 Like

I was expecting Streveler - Chris Streveler Jets Preseason Highlights - YouTube - But Instead we get Dudfeld.

3 Likes

maybe we just want him to play Eagles QB in week 1 practices? that’s the best i can come up with.

1 Like

I’m ok with it.

He’s got more experience (+3 years) than Blough and Boyle and the coaches like him more than either of those guys.

I don’t quite understand what lions fans are expecting at the backup QB spot at this juncture.

This guy is Mason Rudolph except 1) the lions didn’t have to give anything up to get him and 2) he won’t F with the team culture. I’m sure some guys believe Garrett and wouldn’t want him around.

Having said that, Brad Holmes needs to address the backup QB spot in a more significant way next year.

11 Likes

Nah. Knock on wood Goff stays healthy cause this guy isn’t even serviceable. Those are gonna be some ugly games if we have to go the back up route.

Great signing he will take the lions to the Superbowl

Risdon’s harsh, but accurate assessment^^

1 Like

I’m also okay with it. Steady hand who’s been around the league for a bit. I’m sure that Duce had some input on how fast this guy could pick up the playbook, which is kind of important at this juncture.

I like the combo of cheap steady vet + cheap younger dude with some upside. I think Blough is going to have to make some real strides next year, because you can’t be a developmental guy that doesn’t develop. Sudfeld is fine, but could also likely be upgraded. It just has to be done early, so you’ve got guys who know the offense.

Not at all in favor wasting draft resources on backup. Those guys are a dime a dozen, as we’ve just seen during cuts.

2 Likes

Spot on mang :beers:

1 Like

Not sure what everyone expected. He’s a backup for a reason. He isn’t starter material. Any of the backup options on the market couldn’t make their teams for a reason. They suck. Your picking from the bottom of the junk pile just trying to get through this year to draft a QB next year.

The real issue is why wasn’t this taken care of in the past when more options were possibly available. They saw both the B brothers last year n they were brutal. Guess maybe they thought they’d develop, who knows. What we do know is a QB will be drafted next year…please

2 Likes

I also so reality here

• MCDC and Holmes hoped our backup would get better. They didn’t….
  • as soon as they decided they were not what they wanted, they are gone!
  • and at that moment, who was available? Maybe the simple idea of fresh meat is what the want right now….

I love that the only two real complaints are back up QB and our 4th RB….

6 Likes

His senior year at Indiana was really good, he averaged almost 300 yards passing per game. 27 td’s to 7 int’s, QB rating of 151. Jordan Howard was also on that team. Not who I would have taken but an upgrade over our rejects.

1 Like

I think it’s genius. they’ve always wanted sudfeld but if they had him earlier he would’ve played in a preseason game and the fans would’ve booed him out of the building. now we never see him play and the coaching staff gets the perfect clipboard holder.

Perhaps that’s the plan: Goff goes down, we get as bad as possible.

Also, maybe Suckfield just isn’t a West Coast Offense QB. Being in Philly’s and the 49ers systems that require more mobility just wasn’t a match. :man_shrugging:t5:

Here’s to hope.

1 Like

The guy was a backup on a team in the NFC Championship last year… he was brought back on a 1 year 2M fully guaranteed contract with upside to 3M for this year….

Only when the 49ers saw Lance struggling a bit, and not effective way to move Jimmy G, did they decide to move on from Nate… mostly because they felt Purdy wouldn’t clear waivers and liked the 4 years of cheap team control he offered vs paying 2-3M a year for Nate

Shanahan and lynch saw enough last year in practice to justify a 2M all guaranteed contract and the intention of his being the #2 behind unproven and injury prone Lance….

He was drafted- many backups are undrafted.

He’s continuously been in the league for all 6 years.

He’s got experience wit Duce, and 2 separate teams making deep playoff runs.

An elite GM/HC chose to make him a relatively highly paid QB2 on a team intent on another playoff run…

THE ONLY REASON HES NOT A QB2 IN SF RIGHT NOW WAS THAT NOBODY WANTED TO SEND A 3-4th ROUNDER TO SF AND PAY JIMMY BIG MONEY…

I will trust 6 years of nfl service (5 on good teams) and playoff teams offering him fully guaranteed contracts over preseason 2nd half stats…Blough was a 89 rating QB last preseason btw

11 Likes

good grief—we just picked up a charlie brown for a back up QB—is lucy avaiable

1 Like