Nate Sudfeld?

Looks like we saved the 49ers some money…

1 Like

He can’t be worse then what we had, can he?

3 Likes

Not impressed, not freaking out.

They need a developmental guy, but they seem to only want to carry 2 qb on the 53.

Is Blough the PS developmental guy…a guy no one is likely to take but you can keep working with?

Meh. That strategy only seems in play if you dont have and arent looking to draft a young guy anytime soon.

Goff, unless he wets the bed, looks like a long term Lion

3 Likes

He has zero upside, there were some guys out there with upside. We had the right to pick from the top of the trash heap, and we picked from the bottom.

The clock’s run out, time’s up, over Blough! Snap back to reality, Brad brings in Sudfeld.

2 Likes

Let’s hope Sudfeld never plays a down for the Lions except to kneel down at the end of a blowout win.

1 Like

Looks like a description of Tim Boyle.

I think the concern is Holmes questionable QB talent evaluating.

I agree that Lions fans make too big a deal of the backup QB situation but his ability to shore up that position, or lack thereof in this case, could be a precursor to his ability to find a good starter if Goff doesn’t pan out. Sticking with arguably the two worst backups in the league last season (and carrying 3 QBs for some reason) was a bit odd but then sticking with them again throughout preseason this offseason and then bringing in a guy who likely isn’t better than either of them makes you wonder if Holmes has a blind spot when it comes to QB talent evaluation. It’s a lesser scale because it’s a backup but raises potential concern going forward when he might have to make much bigger QB decisions.

2 Likes

Man, this is such a good perspective.

If names were removed, and you just said that we nabbed the guy who Kyle Shannahan was comfortable having as his #2 (and for whom Duce also likely vouched), most people would be ecstatic.

1 Like

I agree w/this. Thinking they re putting all their eggs in one Goff!

Carson Strong, Anthony Brown, Kellen Mond. I didn’t scout any of these guys but just a cursory look tells me they have more upside than Sudfeld. Might as well have picked up Jake Rudock and thrown us Michigan guys a bone if we’re going to pick up poop.

Oh, and I still like Paxton Lynch. One of my great misses. They need to pick him up and turn him into something to make me feel better. If not anything else, it would be a whole lot more entertaining.

2 Likes

Am I the only one that thinks they were just trying to get a dude named @Nate , as to honor The Godfather?

2 Likes

That doesn’t make sense to me. Even if Goff craps his britches (unlikely), it seems like having a tenured vet like Sudfeld as the backup would be how you would proceed.

I just read about this. Had no idea. I don’t have a TV sports package for news.
So, if Garoppolo had not reworked his contract, Sudfeld would still be on Niners most likely?

San Francisco 49ers

Biggest move: The 49ers’ most significant move is the one they did not make: keeping quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo after he agreed to a massive pay cut. The reworked one-year deal lowered his 2022 salary cap number by roughly $18 million. Keeping Garoppolo at a reduced salary gives the Niners their best-case scenario for a backup to unproven Trey Lance and though it raises questions about how it will all play out, it’s a worthwhile move for a team that has Super Bowl aspirations. For Garoppolo, it provides a level of comfort that should help him rehabilitate his value – whether he plays or not – heading into free agency in 2023. – Nick Wagoner

1 Like

I 100% agree. Most fans don’t necessarily know what they want. The want Pro-Bowl backup QBs. They don’t need a developmental guy. That’s what next year’s first round QB will be. He will have a year behind Goff and take over.

This is a long-term rebuild. No quick answers. Just development with a veteran presence sprinkled in here and there.

2 Likes

I’d sign one of those guys to be the third string.

The fact that he has 6 years of experience is just evidence that he has no upside. He’s the new Dan Orlovsky. A team like the Lions with a severe lack of talent at the QB position can swing for guys with potential.

And what is up with Carson Strong? Highest guaranteed money ever for UDFA QB and then doesn’t barely play a snap? Are the Eagles stupid? Or do they want to hide him on their practice squad rather than have to carry a developmental QB on their roster? Yeah, we should have got him.

2 Likes

I have no clue, and am truly just asking → experience w/clipboard? In game help for Goff? He is not a downgrade, for sure…but what is his upside? I truly have no idea, nor do I care. If I were drafting Malik would be our backup, so I’m already full of shit coming into this conversation. LOL

2 Likes

I only remember Sudfeld from college, in fact it looks like he has barely played in the NFL with his 6 seasons of experience, yeah he has a very limited upside IMO. It’s like Tommy Boy said, “If I wanted a kiss, I would have called your mother.”

LOL. Nice
I just started talking to a woman who has a 9 year old. I found this shirt that says, “To do list.” It has one item on the list that says “Your mom”…and “Your mom” is crossed off. I told her I was gonna wear that shirt when I meet him

TOTALLY joking, of course, but she laughed SO HARD! (A sign that she’s a good one)
Only playing in a few games most likely means the starters stayed healthy, IMO.

2 Likes

He can have upside over what the Lions had on the team at the QB spots. Maybe little upside over Garapolo who the Niners paid a ton of cash and traded picks for. It’s would be very hard to dislodge that while on the Niners.

3 Likes