Nate Sudfeld?

Maybe the Lions wanted someone they felt could learn the system asap.

1 Like

.001%? Come on man. Get real. It’s a much better chance than that.

Blough has no upside by the way. They thought Boyle did because he has a few tools, but clearly he doesn’t.

I would have kept Blough over Sudfeld probably. Maybe a little less “talent” but he has a spirit that I’ve never seen from Sudfeld.

1 Like

I’m really talking about not keeping 3 on the active roster, though TBH if they want a vet or a vet-like substance at QB like Sudfeld, then is having a 3rd QB on the 53 to develop any different than having him on the PS?

My answer is yes, because a 3rd guy who is your developmental guy who actually can play AND win in the NFL at some point would get poached off the PS. So, they have Blough as a developmental loser, which to me makes no sense.

This is why I’m going to continue to say the NFL needs to expand rosters to 55 given the high injury incidence the last few years, as a main but not only reason.

1 Like

I hope they sign Strong to the PS. So far Nate has made around $150,000 per NFL throw, still not even close to ex-Lion Chase Daniel.

Lions fans complain about the backup QB because we’ve seen so many lose so many games. Shaun Hill was the exception and he showed us what a value a good backup is.

If Goff goes down, Sudfeld or Blough are Losing Games for us by their play. That’s their track record.

If this year is supposed to be a launch year, then they should have a QB injury contingency.

If they believe they will just tank if Goff goes down for a long stretch, then that means a rookie QB in 2023, which means that year is shit. NOw they’ve gone 3 years and sucked the whole way.

Fans aren’t going to put up with 3 suck years. They best have a better Plan B than a guy who can’t play more that a coupe games in 6 years.

3 Likes

The last good one the Lions had.

Do guys have to leave the practice squad of a team if offered to the 53 of another?

If the Lions signed Strong, could Strong decide to stay with the Lions if he wanted to?

There are levels and layers to this. I promise you, through Dan’s lens, and how he see’s “leaderships spirit,” Blough is a much softer man…through Dan’s lens.

Leading a group of badasses (our team is that). Usually the leader is the badass among the badasses. Tom Brady → yeah, there’s only one of those, but he is a hyperbolic example of what I’m talking about.

I don’t view Blough as a tough guy in that way.

JaMoss is one bad MF’r.
Rodrigo is ONE BAD MF’r.
There are varying degrees of it, and Blough doesn’t have enough of “it” to lead a badass team, IMO. In terms of intensity, to me, he is a very low-level role player, in terms of energy.

I am aware that he’s the backup.
I am aware that the guys like him.
I am aware that the guys will “take up for him.”
BIG difference between “we’d stick up for you,” and “we will follow you into battle.”

You guys already know I want a warrior QB. It’s just my take, and agains…if I were making the call, we’d probably have Willis on teh roster instead of Paschal, if I am to be honest.

Lions have had a few good backups…

1. The already mentioned Shaun Hill. He’s your prototypical high end backup.
  2. Dave Krieg. The veteran backup who might still be better than your starter.
  3. Erik Kramer. The why the hell isn’t this guy the starter backup.
  4. Jeff Garcia. The this guy is infinitely better than our starter why the hell did he have to get injured this year backup.
1 Like

Sudfield does actually have a pretty good arm.

2 Likes

I was happy with Stanton - had a fair mouth of wheels, was happy and would stay as a decent back-up.

I like a guy that presents a totally new set of problems (speed/mobility) that the D hasn’t prepped for, if he needs to come in.

Stanton was the fan favorite who is actually not very good type to me.

Not a great QB, for sure. Reasonably good with wheels. Good for the team/culture. Had guts and fought. I liked him for those reasons. I’m not a MSU fan either. LOL

I believe the same about Stanton, though his record as a starter was 11-6. He’s in the middle for me. I think he showed he wasn’t a clear cut starter but when called on, managed the games well enough to be 11-6, albeit 2-2 with the Lions. He would be a big upgrade on Sudfeld or Blough

2 Likes

Someone with upside……?!

This one dude was a UDFA who was picked up by GreenBay and then kicked off the team…. As no one saw upside in him

Went to USFL for three years as he couldn’t hack it in the NFL: no one saw upside in him

So he basically left college and was not in an NFL roster for four years as no saw upside to him

Then he came in and won the SB…

We love to frame people by thier past and our own perception of them….

I am hoping he works out period: he’s now on the team and someone here sees upside to him or they wouldn’t have grabbed him

1 Like

That’s pretty incredible with how terrible his numbers are. More picks than TDs. 52% completion. 6.2 ypa. Outside that team record everything is a horror show. I still wouldn’t want him.

2 Likes

Stanton just found a way to win. It was ugly but he was a perfect backup qb. Wins games but doesn’t threaten the starters job.

1 Like

It’s clear to me that Holmes is looking for a similar type to Goff. Good arm. Good accuracy. Mobility not required.

Everyone wants a QB with Vick like running ability. You have to build your offense differently. You need bigger blocking WRs instead of field stretchers.

The lions have a rock solid OL that can create a pocket for a pocket passer. There are a combination of precision route runners (St. Brown) and field stretchers (Jamo and Chark).
They are looking for another guy that can play like Goff should Goff go down for a few games like last season.

1 Like

I hear you. I work in engineering though and statistics and these outliers always concern me, they have a way of coming back to the norm over time. Happens almost every time. Almost.

1 Like

Well shit,