NBA & China

James Harden just apologized to China because Rockets GM Daryl Morey supported democracy. Let me repeat this, one of the NBA’s top stars just apologized to a brutal communist dictatorship because an American said he supports democracy. The NBA is a disgrace.

— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) October 7, 2019
1 Like

"The NBA disgraced itself kowtowing to Beijing after the general manager of the Houston Rockets, Daryl Morey, tweeted his support for Hong Kong protesters. The words he associated himself with — “Fight for Freedom. Stand with Hong Kong” — would seem uncontroversial. Who doesn’t hope for the best for plucky demonstrators trying to advance democracy against an overweening imperial dictatorship?

Morey, though, failed to adequately account for the feelings of the dictatorship. “I was merely voicing one thought,” he said, in a groveling tweet after deleting his original offending one, “based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives.”

The “other perspectives” are those of people supporting a regime that is determined to crush Hong Kong underfoot, maintain a one-party state that stifles all internal dissent, brutally repress Uighur Muslims, grab the South China Sea, build up its military with an eye to a future confrontation with United States and rewrite the rules of the international order to its liking.

But who’s to judge?"

I fully support any business protecting its bottom line, and saying what they have to in order to do it. When it comes to the NBA, they have a cash cow in China so it makes alot of sense to tread softly with them. Its basketball. Sure the NBA has a platform, but its not nearly powerful enough to get regime change in China. In that light, I also can back Harden even though he might have done it for different reasons.

I was just reading that South Park got a total ban from China recently. I guess it doesn’t air normally, but you can catch it bootleg on the internet. When South Park created an episode where everything China didn’t like was getting banned, China banned South Park for it. LOL

1 Like

So points being made, NBA teams won’t visit the White House but go to bat for China who are committing crimes all around the globe.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-accused-harvesting-organs-uighurs-170323189.html

Sounds like Trump is running the NBA.

3 Likes

NBA needs to do a little more reading.

http://deceivingthesky.com/

That’s some classic shit, right there!

NBA cowardice, NFL & CFB reactions, Georgia-UT game, Titan futility https://t.co/pEta5SyWVH

— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) October 7, 2019

So if the White House agrees to stay quiet on Hong Kong for a “trade deal” is that not a greater act of cowardice than the NBA trying also to protect their bottom line? I’m confused as to why sports leagues are the bigger threat to freedom these days.

It’s not just the NBA, it’s high tech, auto companies, and all kinds of sectors staying quiet.

And the White House staying quiet? Isn’t that the bigger problem?

2 Likes

I am not sure if they are staying totally quiet. I have not read enough about it. And quite frankly, what Pompeo is stating to the Chinese, probably 95% of it is not recorded or reported.

Some things are more important than money. This is what happens when you do business with unsavory countries. China really needs to change.

1 Like

It was their newest episode… I give it up to Trey Parker and Matt Stone, they’re both liberals, but keep the show’s comedy pretty even keiled… They call out the bullshit when they see it. The whole episode is how every company has Chinese oversight over everything they say and do and everyone complies to get “Chinese dollars”. Business is not democratic, it’s authoritarian, so they’re fine with selling their souls for profit… Nature of the beast.

That’s not enough for me. They can negotiate in private but support in public.

There not the only one. Billion dollar gaming companies follow suit. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2019/10/8/20904433/blizzard-hong-kong-hearthstone-blitzchung

I think what people do not understand is that China’s economy is fragile. Trump is applying pressure and China can’t afford to give. They plan to wait him out. Hoping the next president won’t apply the same pressure or they can buy him off like they have other presidents. If the next president continues to pressure then China expects an economic recession. China has huge debt and so does the average Chinese citizen. If their economy slows it could have huge ramifications on China as a global power. America has been blind towards China for years. China has put the screws on the USA for far too long. We have to stand up and apply pressure back. It’s a must.

I have great interest and a lot of thoughts on that topic, but it’s not really what I’m getting at in this post.

1 Like

I was waiting for you to focus on Trump, who is not involved in the story, at all.
Not that you have TDS or anything.

I thought it was about Hong Kong. No?

It’s raining…Trump’s fault. It’s Tuesday…Trump’s fault.

1 Like