New PFF Mock is interesting…

Yeah it seems like overkill but they definitely do need another interior defensive lineman to play next to Vea. On the Bucs site they just did their own mock and took Travis Jones, and I think that’s probably more likely. He’s great against the run as well and offers more going forward. But man, nobody would be able to run a yard on the Bucs with Davis and Vea.

1 Like

That’s one of the main reasons I posted it. The mocks start to get way too chalky around this time and then the real draft happens and we’re all like, wtf? And yet we tend to berate anyone who puts out a mock that’s not chalk.

1 Like

My things that make you hmm pick is us taking McBride at 34. Not my preference of course.

That’s interesting, I don’t know what they think of Barnes, his rookie season leaves a lot to be desired, but there’s potential. With Davis being the devil we know here on a 1 year deal, I can definitely see Chanel getting a look at 32/34 if he’s there. But I definitely don’t see him as a bad fit for our defense, but also agree he’s a good fit for NE.

I do like McBride, he’s my pretty clear #1 in this class. I just don’t think he’s that much better than everyone else to warrant such a high pick.

That mock seems pretty far out there.
A few things stood out to me…

Stingley at 3
Two corners in the top 5
Dean at 7
Ridder the first QB taken at 8
Walker at 30

There’s always surprises in the draft but those 4 would shock me. Maybe Stingley the least of the 4 just because of his pedigree.

1 Like

Dean at 7 would be the most surprising one to me given the way the NFL generally doesn’t like guys his size, but then Bush and Roquan were top ten picks, so who knows? I like Dean better than both those guys personally.

2 Likes

And Ridder is gaining a lot of momentum because everyone’s hearing that the league really likes him a lot. He’s the best combo of pro-readiness and upside.

I’m not for such a move. I just expect that giving Jared everything he needs is likely the number 1 priority in the draft. We add a high end WR and a very strong TE2 and provided good health there really aren’t any remaining excuses.

2 Likes

If this happens, I start campaigning for Holmes dismissal, immediately.

1 Like

Geez - for once we get a linebacker, (yea!), but it was the wrong one. We need a cover LB please.

If you draft chenal do you make him a mike and move Barnes outside? Or do you go back to using a 3-4 primarily and have them both inside?

1 Like

Dude, I just made the big mistake of watching nfl replay. They showed the bears vs Vikings in 07. Damn do I want a linebacker tandem of urlacher and Briggs. It reinforced just how bad our linebackers were and the difference a great crew can make.

2 Likes

I think this approach makes all the sense in the world.

My feeling is that Goff is going to look a lot more like 2nd half 2021 / Pro Bowl Goff than he is 1st half 2021 Goff, which will likely lead to an extension.

If I’m wrong and he stinks up the joint, the team is a year ahead on everything else and can clearly justify trading up to get whomever they want. And, with any luck, they’d be plugging him into a pretty decent team - I think an underrated aspect of any young quarterback’s success.

Yeah, that was pretty pathetic. These guys would do better simply asking some average fans of the teams they are picking for what they would do.

That’s an interesting point for me.

On the surface… Ridder has the size, arm strength, athleticism, production, character, and a track record of winning.

Seems like he should be at the top of the list for all the QBs.

However… I just don’t see it with him.

I’ll be the 1st to admit this weird… because I see the tools with Willis and I can envision him developing into a crazy good NFL QB.

There were just some subtle differences that made me think Ridder will be the guy that just doesn’t put all the pieces together.

But I think @that2’s point is that such an approach can be executed without having to splurge on McBride given the depth at TE.

1 Like

Yeah I think it would have to be one of those two, probably alternating between both of them. But I’d be surprised if we opted for that over a smaller LB better in coverage.

Well I don’t really like any of them so I agree to an extent on Ridder, but I also think Willis is fast becoming the Peter Griffin mystery box.

3 Likes

I’ve been a Corral guy since October of 2020. He’s small and Kiffin’s system creates some uncertainty as to how he adapts to the NFL game. As far as I can tell those are the warts which is pretty good relative to this class. On the flip side you’ve got plus athleticism, plus accuracy, plus-ish arm strength, creativity on extended plays, off platform throw ability, a quick release and moxie for days.

I used to worry about leadership bc he had a reputation for being a jerk in HS but everyone in Oxford swears by the guy. :man_shrugging:

1 Like