New playoff OT rule

Based on the new rule of each team guaranteed a possession, why did the 49ers choose to receive after winning coin toss?

Isn’t it similar to college OT where it’s clearly better to defer because you will know what your offence need to accomplish?

I thought choosing to receive in OT was actually a newbie coaching mistake by Shanahan

3 Likes

A touchdown ends the game. You always take the ball in the NFL because you can win on your first possession.

1 Like

No it doesn’t! That’s the new rule!

7 Likes

Because they’re dumb.

2 Likes

I believe no matter what both teams get a chance to score no matter what

1 Like

No in OT both teams get chance to possess now.

3 Likes

I think their thought is if tied after KC gets it, they get first chance to end it

2 Likes

Ok I thought about it more. If it’s exactly like college than deferring the clearly better, because each team is guaranteed X possessions like a shootout.

But in the new NFL playoffs, if first 2 possessions are TD TD or FG FG or Punt Punt, then it’s clearly better to have next possession since next score wins.

So yeah, it is still better to receive even with new playoff rules!

4 Likes

Absolutely it was a mistake. San Francisco should have let KC have the ball first.

1 Like

Yep, I change my stance. I didn’t think it through like you did, but you are correct.

Good post

2 Likes

I don’t know about that rule. If you can’t stop the other team from getting into the endzone with everything on the line, then that’s on you.

Soooooo much better

One of the announcers mentioned that SF’s defense just got off the field and maybe needed a rest.

1 Like

Thing is they gave Mahomes 4 down cus he knew he had to score at least a FG That was early in the drive. Wouldn’t it be better to know what you need?

1 Like

That’s pretty debatable. I’d rather have the extra down like the Chiefs had. They also almost won on a interception. It’s debatable though, the NFL really nailed this since I don’t know what the stats will favor ultimately.

2 Likes

I agree with this. Also they will have option to go for 2 if first team got TD.

1 Like

I’d choose to kick, if I understand the rules correctly, but I can see how that could backfire. It’s interesting rules, they’re not exactly equal rules, but there are advantages in both cases. It may even depend on your roster and if you go for it on 4th down anyway, cough, Lions, cough.

That’s a good point, along with Mahomes knowing he was in four-down territory in OT.
If the Lions are in that spot, Dan is going for it!

1 Like

There’s one additional caveat to the rule that was explained by the referee before the OT coin toss, that a Defensive TD on the first possession ends the game.

It’s obvious, but I wanted to point that out for a full scope of understanding .

1 Like

I think OT rules are dumb. I would just change them to ‘each team gets a possession’ and if one has a lead after that they win, else it’s sudden death. and a turnover counts as a possession.

I get not wanting to play another full quarter because they’re whiny bitches :slight_smile: but I don’t think scoring a td on the first possession should win the game.