NFC North notes: Jonah Jackson

That isn’t bad.

Believe it or not… Lions have already drafted 2 of the top paid OGs.

And I think we will see another OG drafted this year.

3 Likes

The Motorcade?

2 Likes

I don’t want to pay any guard big money. I think we need to draft one with one of our 2nd or 3rd rd picks.

1 Like

You want to just let Jonah walk?

1 Like

Ummm he made the probowl in 2021. He is a probowl OG. He’s far from average.

I liked Jackson coming out of college. I correctly picked him in my Lions Draft contest…. He’s a very solid player and Deckers game drastically improved when Jackson was drafted. You’re way under selling how good Jackson is.

With that said there’s a very good reason we will pay him and should pay him.

Goff is very much like Drew Brees …in the fact that he is most successful when he has a nice clean pocket to step into. The saints always invested heavily on their interior OL… the Lions will too.

I highly expect him to get a contract extension.

By the way there’s a rumor Graham Glasgow could be a cap casualty. I’d seriously consider bringing him back if Brown is lost to FA. Which I highly doubt we would.

I do expect the Lions to draft a C/OG if we lose Brown.

9 Likes

I agree. Drafting a starter at RG makes a ton of sense from a roster construct POV.

4 Likes

Not to nitpick, but he was a second Pro Bowl alternate in 2021 who got to go the probowl after replacing Brandon Scherff. I’m not saying he’s not a solid player, but the narrative that he’s a top end “Pro Bowl” guard that people use trying to label him as one of the best OG in the league is a little overstated around here.

He’s a good player. But I don’t think he’s worth 13m-15m a year. I don’t think he’s a top 10 guard in the league and I don’t think he should be paid like one, which is around where 13-15m AAV would put him.

If you think so, that’s fine, we’re allowed to disagree. In the end, it comes down to what Brad thinks. And like I’ve said before, I’d rather he be in the position on figuring out Jackson than me.

7 Likes

It’s almost a given that Big V will be replaced by a rookie. It just makes too much sense cap wise. The question is will they make that decision this offseason. I think they will.

My guess is Jonah is resigned, Brown is lost to FA. Big V. is a cap casualty and the Lions draft a starting OG in round two.

9 Likes

:100: %, my friend.

So who is that guard. Personally I want movement skills rather than a phone booth guy.

1 Like

If he wants 12+ mill per season, then yes. Appreciate Jonah, but name a team with highly paid guards that kicks ass in the modern nfl!?

It’s a devalued position, like RB, like LB.

1 Like

What if Big V agrees to a substantial pay cut?

I know they are rare…. but with talk of players wanting to be here now… and the fact he is coming off back surgery….

he isn’t getting more than a 1 year prove deal anywhere.

What number would be a good number to have him prove it here?

3 Likes

I’d happily give Jonah 12m per. He’s getting more than that btw.

GG is the 10th paid OG at 11 mil average

Jackson will get north of 8 mil but I don’t think it will take 13 mil a year to resign him.

13+ mil would make him a top 8 paid OG. I do not think he gets that kind of money.

Big V is making 9 mil this year. I expect Jackson to get locked down in the 8-10 mil range.

I could be wrong on that. I was surprised at what GG got but I just don’t think Jackson gets north of 10 mil.

3 Likes

You think so?

Like I said I could be wrong on this but I was thinking he’d be under a 10 mil average.

1 Like

I feel like 8-10m is a heck of a lot more reasonable than the 13-15m range suggested in the OP. That’s a whole other player or two you can add to the roster with that difference.

3 Likes

Oh he will. He’s definitely getting more than Andrus Peat and Graham Glasgow. It’s probably going to be 5/65m and that would be a hometown discount.

On the open market I’m quite confident he’d command more than what Laken Tomlinson got.

4 Likes

Possible but my gut tells me we’re going to be draft a starting caliber OG round two this year.

3 Likes

Vaitai has 25m left cap hit wise. If we can get that down to 2/12m then I’ll take the injury risk. I’d still want to add a developmental OG but then we could wait until the 5th round.

2 Likes

I don’t want to pay him big dollars especially with the investment in our tackles and center. You can’t pay everyone.

1 Like