NFC North notes: Jonah Jackson

From profootballrumors.com

• Unlike Bradbury, Lions offensive guard Jonah Jackson is fully locked into his starting position at left guard heading into his contract year. If he has his way, though, the 25-year-old won’t even sniff free agency. Jackson told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that he is fully open to remaining with the Lions long-term. “I would retire in Detroit,” Jackson said. “I would love to be a Lion forever. I love the city.” Jackson isn’t expected to earn a top guard contract but still may fetch a significant deal worth $13-15MM. He made sure to clarify that if it doesn’t happen, he doesn’t intend to hold out. “If it doesn’t (happen), I’m the same guy, the same 73 who showed up for work every day from COVID Year 1 to now…If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.”
18 Likes

That sure sounds like one of the top guards to me. He’s alot like Decker - very solid, but not spectacular… top 25%. Would like to lock him up so the line stays together…they’re only going to get better.

9 Likes

The one thing with him that he contributes over and above is his ability to be mobile and block. I don’t see a ton of guards that do it so well. That is uniquely needed in this offense.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is ANY chance he makes it to free agency. None. To me Holmes pulls a Ragnow and locks him down now. I can see Holmes saving $ at ROG going with Kraemer and a rookie if necessary.
Jonah ain’t going anywhere.

5 Likes

WTF, I hope all are really appreciative of what’s going on with the Lions!
As a fan all my life, (over 60 years) This is a complete paradigm shift. Us old timers have NEVER heard so many players wanting to stay with the team, even willing to offer a discount to be a Lion.
We fans can be cynical and still have SOL doubts, but players are in the know. They know good things are in store for this franchise for many years to come.
Sheila, Chris, Brad and Dan Thank You from the bottom of my heart! I never thought I’d see the day!

9 Likes

Pay him now! :rofl:

I really hope we can lock him up, maybe draft a RG and make some cuts to save money. Having those 4 guys being a constant on our line makes our offense hum.

4 Likes

Holmes wants to sign at least 2 guys every year to a good solid extension to show that Detroit will pay for the right guys.

I was trying to think of who they may be and Cominsky and Jackson seem like 2 candidates

3 Likes

I’ll be honest I’ve always thought he was a bit overrated as a player, especially when people call him a ‘Pro Bowl’-caliber Guard like probowls mean anything. I think he’s pretty average.

But I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a sucker for guys who are all in and love the city and want to be here. We’ve had so many guys who have bailed on us and wanted out that I almost can’t handle when guys say that they want to retire here.

Now he’s basically a pro bowl guard, imo. :joy:

5 Likes

Jonah’s solid, but do I want to pay him 12-15 mill per year!? Not really. Sounds a lot like a TE we traded to the Vikes to me. People will hate me for that take, but think about it.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s kind of my feeling on him as well. And I don’t think just ANYONE can come in and look good between Ragnow and Decker (because look at how rough it’s been at RG), but it definitely has to make your job easier to be between two studs like that.

But, if I were Mike Illitch and these were the late 90s/early 2000s open checkbook Wings with no cap? Blank check just for actually wanting to be here and saying you want to retire a Lion lol

1 Like

100% agreed, when you start paying guards like tackles, that usually doesn’t end well studying nfl history.

1 Like

Glad it’s not my decision to make! Hard to turn away a decent player who actually wants to be here!

1 Like

The Jackson 5 wouldn’t be a bad nickname for the OL. I still prefer the Motorcade though.

2 Likes

That isn’t bad.

Believe it or not… Lions have already drafted 2 of the top paid OGs.

And I think we will see another OG drafted this year.

3 Likes

The Motorcade?

2 Likes

I don’t want to pay any guard big money. I think we need to draft one with one of our 2nd or 3rd rd picks.

1 Like

You want to just let Jonah walk?

1 Like

Ummm he made the probowl in 2021. He is a probowl OG. He’s far from average.

I liked Jackson coming out of college. I correctly picked him in my Lions Draft contest…. He’s a very solid player and Deckers game drastically improved when Jackson was drafted. You’re way under selling how good Jackson is.

With that said there’s a very good reason we will pay him and should pay him.

Goff is very much like Drew Brees …in the fact that he is most successful when he has a nice clean pocket to step into. The saints always invested heavily on their interior OL… the Lions will too.

I highly expect him to get a contract extension.

By the way there’s a rumor Graham Glasgow could be a cap casualty. I’d seriously consider bringing him back if Brown is lost to FA. Which I highly doubt we would.

I do expect the Lions to draft a C/OG if we lose Brown.

9 Likes

I agree. Drafting a starter at RG makes a ton of sense from a roster construct POV.

4 Likes