NHL playoffs

Anybody watching? Who you pulling for?

Looking forward to the FL/NY series and especially the Calgary/Edmonton series! That’s an old school hockey battle!

I’m pulling for Calgary, and I know people are sick of TB but they play so well, it’s hard for me to dislike them. Rangers are fun but I don’t see them getting too much further.

I’m a sucker for Canadian teams and original six teams!

1 Like

Now that the Maple Laughs blew another series lead, up 3-2 and lost in 7. I guess I’ll cheer for the Mighty Ducks!!

Mighty Ducks Win GIF by Disney+

1 Like

the mighty ducks 90s GIF

1 Like

Never ever root for a California team. Great movie though

2 Likes

Lol I’ve gotten old and less upset about things but I still have a small amount of hate for the sharks… them and the ducks have given their share of pain to the red wings… same with the avalanche. I can’t hate them anymore because the guys I really disliked are all gone now.

2 Likes

You can dislike all you want. Its the beauty of sports.

2 Likes

You know I was playing hockey growing up at the time that movie came out… and I think in practice we actually practiced a Flying V because we wanted to and the coaches said more or less “that shit is stupid and doesn’t work, get over it”

:rofl:

2 Likes

That’s the thing though, I don’t! I really don’t dislike a lot of teams… I used to… and now I just kinda got over it. I dunno it’s hard to explain.

I definitely still dislike the penguins. I still can’t stand the packers and the cowboys and the patriots (can’t wait for the patriots to crash and burn), but outside of that, I guess times change and I just don’t have the same vitriol I used to. That may also have to do with how bad our teams have been… hard to be a hater when everybody is just mopping the floor with you!

If I had to pick I’d say my most hated team in all sports are the patriots and the packers. Everybody else I can mostly tolerate to some degree

3 Likes

Its all good my friend. I get it

2 Likes

But I’m curious, are there teams everyone else hates? Have I become too passive?

That’s an interesting point of conversation… does anyone truly dislike or hate teams in any sports?

Oh yeah I will add I’m sick of the damn lakers but that goes back to the 90s/00s. Fuck the lakers.

1 Like

I was rooting for the movie to win it all!

The Ducks didn’t even make the playoffs, ha ha

2 Likes

Preach brother! Preach!

1 Like

Lol it’s tough out there in Detroit sports fan world these days…

3 Likes

I think as I’ve gotten old I’ve come to realize that my hate for the sharks and ducks isn’t just that they gave us fits at times, it’s that it was so damn late at night when they did.

1 Like

The Ducks i never hated, just remember CUJO standing on his head, and Giguere was even better, Liked him with the Leafs, and he really won a series alone, getting pounded and he still kept the puck out night after night. had a grudging respect. Sharks I disliked, but only hated 1 team the Avs, from Crawford to Roy, Lemeuix to Foote, i hated that team.

Now I still don’t like them, gutteral reaction to the jersey i think, lol.

However, I respect the team they were, i love that we had the most heated rivalry in all of sport with them. The great “fight night at the Joe”, McCartys hat trick, the turtle, the refs scraping up a pool of blood by the boards, the 7-0 shutout in game 7 running Roy off. Whatever i was doing stopped to watch those games, regular season or playoffs. Oh, how could i forget Shannys irish jig, just was that much sweeter vs the avs, lol

I wonder how many more Cups we win if not for them? Id guess 3. Was a shame in a way, the 2 best teams in the league by far, were both in the West.

1 Like

I seem to remember Mary LaPointe giving away a series vs the Kings one year.

Aside from our rivalries vs the Avs, the other 2 west teams that ravaged each other in the 1st round each year were the Stars and Oilers.

If you’re a Sharks fan, though, you gotta realize how close you were if not for those teams (Wings and Avs) that would massively outspend the rest of the league.

1 Like

Yeah it had to be rough, but we also got deals, Hasek, and the cheapest deal ever, Drapes for $1, and he paid it back, lol

Being a team with a legit shot yr after yr, and orginal 6 was the big thing. I dont think spending got crazy until 2002, Hull, Robitaille, Hasek, with a couple great late rookie picks in Z and Datsyuk as well. Id say we had a reputation for finding gold late in the drafts as well.

I should add, a great thank you to the Illitch’s as well, best owners this Detroit sports fan has seen in Detroit. Couldn’t quite win the series, but got us our 1st Cup in 42 yrs, and 4 Cups all together in 6 Cup finals. Was a sad day when Mr. Illitch passed

3 Likes

Yeah the 2002 team was very much bought, or at least bolstered the aging core at the time.

They spent in the 90s for guys like Paul Coffey I want to say… then again they scoffed at paying Fedorov 2 mil a year plus some bonuses, which is crazy to think about by today’s standards.

The sharks were super close many years, especially in the 2000s. Didn’t they eliminate the wings once or twice? 2007 I remember, wings would’ve won that year too…

1 Like

My Leafs are out….so IDGAS

2 Likes

Haha exactly!!

1 Like