Nick Saban’s tears

Of course not! Minor league is great for baseball. I was just referencing the discrepancy between minor league baseball and college football or college sports in general and how the players are getting paid before they are pro

Huge money and boosters for synchronized swimming.

1 Like

Lol! But the NIL extends to all student athletes and I think to the smaller sports it could be a huge benefit to them. The NCAA just washed their hands of things and told universities to deal with it because, well they just suck :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Jokes aside you have to remember the “rich people” scandal that came out a few years ago. Wealthy parents were making donations to universities and getting their kids accepted based on being athletes in sports like swimming, water polo and rowing. They were not actually athletes in those sports, but it was something nobody cared to check or notice. But being an athlete of any kind was enough to bump the kid up to get accepted into a school they otherwise would not have gotten into.

5 Likes

That is a great point and I forgot about that!

That was a huge scandal… so then the question is now with NIL is that not a thing anymore? They obviously circumvented the rules at the time, but now is it just given a pass?

Good call and definitely a situation that needs to be involved in this discussion

1 Like

Saban is mad that teams are able to do what he’s been doing under the table for years…it’s not fair that he can’t buy Championships anymore.

3 Likes

Lol well said… I have zero sympathy for saban! Go retire already!!!

There are plenty of teams that have had top ranked recruiting classes that never won anything. Nick Saban is a great football coach. Period. He turns players pro and that will always have strong appeal.

There just isn’t any leadership in the NCAA. That’s the problem. If Saban going public pushes it then great

1 Like

I do not think that NIL ties into the scandal. The scandal was all about pretending that a regular student was an athlete, to skirt the university entrance requirements. I think pretending Sally is on the swim team when she is not will still be just as big of a scandal with NIL. The parents were contributing to the university legally, just like an NIL would be throwing money around legally. And NIL is actually directing money at the student, not the university. The meat of the scandal would still be in play.

1 Like

Imagine being one of those kids and pretending to be a water polo star and barely knowing how to swim. Such a joke.

2 Likes

There is zero leadership for sure from the NCAA. But saban accusing other teams of buying players is a pot meet kettle situation, isn’t it?

Does this list mean anything to you?

What is that list showing? What is 5 year average?

The top recruiting schools over the last 5 years.

1 Like

Ok so based on that, Oregon Michigan and texas are the top recruiting schools? Or I’m looking at it backwards

Sorry if I’m being obtuse!

EDIT: ok I’m a little slow on the uptake today… been a long day!

But what that is showing is that Georgia and alabama have consistently had the top recruiting classes in the past 5 years, right?

Yeah, top to bottom…Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson. Pretty much the teams that have been winning the Championships for the last 8 years.

2 Likes

“We can’t allow players to get paid! The same schools will get the top recruits every time!” :rofl:

1 Like

LSU recycles through coaches because their success doesn’t match their recruiting classes. I’m not going to take away from great coaches.

I’m glad Saban said it. It’s at least getting the conversation going.

1 Like

Deion is an interesting person and he is very calculated in some of the things he says. Most of it is all about advancing his school and his agenda. He frickin nailed Saban’s comments in terms of looking inwards but also telling it like it is.

1 Like