Nick Saban’s tears

I don’t think so. I think it’s a “this is spiraling into something very ugly” type of situation.

1 Like

I think Deion is great for the sport today. I was shocked to see he never makes recruiting trips. Yet he’s flipped the recruiting table right over. It’s pretty incredible. I’m stunned no major college has latched onto him yet. Florida State? What are you guys thinking down there?

If Deion backs up his mouth, he won’t jump to a normal D1. He will stay at an HBCU and be the tide that raises all boats.

Makes sense that a university in the 2nd biggest state with loads of oil tycoons would have the most money for recruitment. Maybe Saban should switch schools if he thinks he can’t win without a loaded team…

1 Like

I doubt the powers that be didn’t have the foresight to think “this could get out of control.” Anybody could see that coming. The laissez faire leadership approach or lack of leadership is more telling than what they actually do, which is nothing

I think he’s already backed it up. No matter what his future holds I see him still lifting up HBCU

How is NIL going to benefit smaller sports when nobody cares about smaller sports? People in non revenue sports that are getting paid are not getting paid because of their sport, they are getting paid because of their social media standing.

2 Likes

If he quits coaching everything will be okay. But if he leaves an HBCU for a normal D1, he’s doing what he’s telling kids not to do. There is a small movement right now to get the top recruits to flex their power by choosing HBCU’s over mainstream D1 schools. Deion is one of the leaders of that, and he’s doing it with alot more than just throwing money around. His name and his connections are creating a path forward that wasn’t there before.

NIL absolutely sucks

That being said all of these teams that have been winning championships since the BCS playoffs started have been paying players for a long time.

I’m hoping we see some of the schools (teams 10-40) that had not been involved in the past start paying & possibly level out the playing field

1 Like

Schools don’t pay

Eh, seems right…

Technically they don’t. But, I guarantee many of these schools are in bed with the NIL companies and vice versa. Wink, Wink!

You got the gist of my post - schools=teams, boosters bagmen etc

100% correct

1 Like

I don’t know, funneling money through third parties to athletes seems like it might have some tax implications that schools don’t want to touch. A bunch of rich alumni that are in communication with the coaching staff is another matter.

Mostly liability when the 17 year old is given a million dollar NIL deal to play for A&M, then he doesn’t start. He wants to transfer and files a lawsuit over his NIL deal. It’s coming.

1 Like

Absolutely, this is a bad bad path that college sports are headed down

it might not be great for the sport, but the kids don’t care about that. Get your money while you can, it’s the American way.

Right now it’s an experiment as there wasn’t any kind of critical path to follow. I imagine that it will be tweaked for years to come. Just waiting for Southern Methodist to get their alumni geared back up.

I meant benefit the athletes in smaller sports. Like a swimmer who’s gonna be on the Olympic team who swims for Michigan, something along those lines.

Of course I could be very wrong, who knows how this will work out!