No anxiety about this game, but not for the reason you think

What a difference a week makes.

For the first time in a long time, I’m simply excited about Sunday’s game rather than apprehensive or even a tinge of anxiety, unlike most weeks leading to the conclusion of the season.

While that probably says more about me than the team, it’s not because I think we’re playing with house money. Some outside of Detroit may feel that way, but I think it’s because we can play every down against these 49ers.

I like the matchups. I like how we steal souls on the road. I like how Jared Goff is no stranger to SF. I like how we’re, what, 22-7 between last year and this year? And if you include the Cowboys game as a win (which, ■■■■ it, it was), we’re winners of 6 straight and playing as good of football as any team in the league—probably as well as Baltimore.

SF, meanwhile, suddenly looks vulnerable.

Christ, guys … I think we might punch our ticket to the Super Bowl Sunday night. I’m even prepping the site for the bandwidth to handle it.

L.
F.
G.

14 Likes

VERY good chance we are in this year’s superbowl

3 Likes

You guys are going to force me to go get a wet towelette.

HOPE - it’s a beautiful thing!

hope used in three senses:

1. A desire for something good in the future

2. the thing in the future that we desire

3. the basis or reason for thinking that our desire may indeed be fulfilled.

1 Like

I actually think Sunday was the Lions let-down game after the Rams, and they still won. They came out flat in the first half, but did enough in the second half to do what needed to be done. I really think they are going to come out Sunday firing like they did against the Rams, and there is going to be a real shot to go up quick and play with a lead.

5 Likes

I’m with you Nate on this one all the way.
I am anxious for the game to get here but not anxious about the outcome or “How the lions will play”
MC will have them prepared and I can honestly say the players will be ready.
Going to be a tough game on the road, but we have shown to be good road warriors
I think we get to Purdy early and if we do our chances go way up to punch our ticket to Vegas

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting so long to say that.

It all still seems a bit unreal to me. Like I’m in a dream or something.

2 Likes

The 49ers front 4 vs the Lions OL minus Jonah Jackson.

Titan against Titan.

Should be quite the battle.

3 Likes

It sucks because 49ers are due to win the nfc. They’ve been there i think 4 times in past 5 years.

1 Like

We certainly have overachieved. I recall some here thinking 10 wins and 1 playoff win as a 7 seed was the best case scenario after the schedule was released.

Now in the NFC championship, we’d all be ecstatic with a win. Not satisfied. If it’s another outcome, I know I would still be more proud to rep the Lions than ever before. Not bitter or let down.

1 Like

I’ll be twitching on my couch come Sunday.

1 Like

I’m not going to use the term house money because as people have already pointed out, that’s a BS term. What I will say is that when we started this season my goal was to continue to improve. We won our division, we won 12 regular season games, now 14. I was hoping to win a playoff game to get that money off our back. We won two.

So as we go to SF I am strangely calm. I’m sure I’ll be more nervous when game time hits, but this is a game where we can shocked the world. And if we don’t, I’ll feel sad but I’ll still feel proud of what we did.

In my eyes, we already exceeded expectations.

1 Like

I understand most Lions fans never experienced the playoffs before like this. And it’s good to feel confident about winning. But take it from a fan who has watched his team play in 12 NFCCG and three Super Bowls. When the 49ers were favored big to win(2011 NFCCG vs NYG) for example.
Some of you are acting like you already won the game. I’d be careful with that. Because A) the 49ers, despite last weeks performance, didn’t make it to the number one seed and lead the league in many categories by accident.
And B) If you lose when you went into the game thinking you already won it is going to suck ten times more.

Stay humble Lions fans.

5 Likes

I think we’ve stayed humble for decades.

6 Likes

I used to wear the bag on my head… now I just breathe into it. Times sure have changed :laughing:

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

2 Likes

I’ll give you credit for that one. But it needs to continue. Trust me lol. Losing in the title game and or SB sucks bad enough. All I’m saying is don’t go tattooing NFC champs on your arms before the game even starts.

1 Like

I don’t know of a single fan on this forum that has acted like we’ve already won. I know several fans here are confident. Others are not as confident.

Having confidence in your team is a good thing.

Also, creating an account on a competitor’s message board for the sole purpose of telling Lions fans to calm their enthusiasm tells me a lot more about your absurd confidence than our own.

PS — You guys got your ass kicked by PJ Walker

5 Likes

This situation helps to justify the couple times that Dan said “we need this” after losses this year. This team knows that their preparation and energy level is extremely important and I’m confident that the ravens loss is still eating at these guys

That is not what I’m reading. Ok, the PJ Walker Browns beat us.
You better hope you win Sunday or you’ll be the team that lost to a team that PJ Walker beat.

1 Like