Not sure if this is speculation or rumor, but Snacks on the trading block?

I agree that you have a logical thought process on wanting more out of big name FA signing. I personally never expected him to come here and be a double digit sack guy, it’s just not his game. He affects the game in more ways than you realize, there was a post a few weeks ago that showed him chipping WRs before starting his rush, obviously that puts him at a disadvantage for getting to the passer. BUT, it helps the entire defense. I said it when everyone was freaking out about the DL last year and how we had no pass rushers…this defensive scheme gets sacks from everywhere, mostly the LBers. I would like to see more pressure on the QB, but we haven’t been blitzing much, we have the DBs to cover so that’s what they’re doing right now. I do think they’re holding back some wrinkles for the divisional games, hope see some Monday!!

3 Likes

I hope so. (Glad I found where everyone landed!! It’s been miserable without you all!!) I think several of the guys who were injured in the offseason are coming around, but I have watched too many plays where Flowers looked like the second coming of Ziggy at 80%. Lots of initial rush, when stymied turning into patty cake. I was shocked at the lack of effort on quite a few plays. But if schematically it’s read and react, maybe he was just maintaining his position and looking for the ball. I have seen better from him lately, so hopefully he’s just rounding into game shape and we’ll see a lot more from him.

6 Likes

Welcome 3rd. It took a minute to adjust but this is way better than 247. Closer to the feeling of the old den.

2 Likes

Didn’t he just get a new contract?

Allow me to add in my 2 cents on this topic. First off I think that it is too early to be judging a player that was brought in this offseason and then proceeded to sit out practices and PS games to give him time to recover from surgery. Also, as has been mentioned, sometimes pressure is more important of stat then sacks or TFL. As an example if the run play is designed to go the opposite side that Flowers is on, this makes it more diffficult for him to make a play. Also if the QB throws the ball right before Flowers gets there, which happens alot in the NFL, is that his fault or is it just good game planning by the opposing team to get the ball out of the QBs hand as quickly as possible, not to mention what if the receiver just gets open quickly. While I am sure all of us would like to see bigger numbers, at this time I would just be a bit more patient.

1 Like

Felt like I was in the desert on another board that was essentially a 4 man twitter feed. It’s the people that make the board, not the other way around, so really happy I found you guys. I tried this site right when the other went down and was getting an error, so thought it was gone too. I knew everyone had to land somewhere together, but it took a 247 thread that is still active for me to give this another shot and poof… all is well! Yay us!!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard, 3rdRGR.

2 Likes

Thanks man!

2 Likes

Is VLG still going down with the ship?

Glad you returned my prodigal Lion!

2 Likes

Could be like me. I went right to this site when 247 imploded and I was getting errors, so I just went elsewhere and boy did elsewhere suck!! The rug got pulled and many of us I’m sure didn’t know where everyone rallied.

2 Likes

Late for formation again I see!

Nice to have ya here!

2 Likes

Throwing a delay of game flag at you …
Glad you’re here

2 Likes

I remember when Rick explained the meaning of his screen name. For the longest time, I thought he was a 3d grade teacher.

3 Likes

AWESOME!

1 Like

Ha I never looked at it that way. I thought the GR part had something to do with Grand Rapids.

1 Like

i’m more with you on this take. i know people are citing articles about how well this guy is playing. i also know i don’t focus on him enough when i’m watching the games to definitively make a statement one way or the other about his play. but what i can say is that the few times i have focused on him, he has almost universally looked out of place and tired to me.

i recall one play where flowers was so manhandled one on one and pushed so far off the ball and with no juice left in only the 1st or 2nd qtr that the QB ran right past him leaving him to make the most awkward, half-assed and desperate whiff i’ve ever seen in an nfl game. on the same play, snacks was pushed even further off the ball, owned one and one, beaten to the ground on his knees and facing his own endzone! i was like huh! when i do notice snacks, it appears that he’s getting one on one looks and not drawing double teams.

i personally think both those dudes came into camp out of shape. that to me isn’t a great look. in terms of flowers, you have a coach who is supposed to know you well and he put up the bucks for you to come here and you kind of shit on his trust. i personally disliked suh but i never doubted that even though he wouldn’t show up at camp, he would come into game 1 in better shape than anyone that actually attended camp and earn what he was being paid.

no nfl player should come into game one (let alone game 4) with questions about their conditioning. it just shouldn’t happen.

HEY welcome 3RD !! awesome to see you!! happy your here.

2 Likes

Welcome Rick!

It was disappointing to see our vaunted DL playing no better if not worse than they did last year, the run defense has not looked close to what it was since Snacks got here. IMHO, a large part of that is conditioning, too many of these guys were not in NFL game ready shape when the season started. Some of that is injury-related, it’s hard to be in top condition when you’re dealing with health issues of one nature or another.

But this team weathered the storm, the secondary stepped up even without Slay and now it’s time for the DL to step up too. Don’t know when Daniels will be back, but I suspect Hand will play this week or next and Bryant should be coming off the IR next week and playing in November. Just about in time for a 2nd-half push.

1 Like

Looking at it afterward, 3d Ranger (battalion) makes more sense.

2 Likes