Notes: Aidan Hutchinson falls to Detroit Lions in Peter Schrager’s ‘sourced’ mock draft

Everyone is cool when things are going well. Kyler Murray’s energy looks great when things are going well for him. Watch Murray when things start to go sideways…
In this video, his energy much more closely resembles Stafford…correct.
My assumptions are made from watching him crumple under pressure. He doesn’t stand up to it. This video is of him playing against a weak Giants team with a really nice arsenal of weapons. He acts similar to how Matt would → Yes!
I feel like I should paste this as a signature at the bottom of all of my posts because I’m tired of repeating it…

I’m NOT ripping Goff. By my best estimate there are approximately 15 people on planet earth that can do his job better than him…That. Is. Amazing!!!

That said, I want to upgrade from him, if we can. I think Swift is a nice piece, but if we could get the second coming of Barry Sanders, or Bo Jackson, I’d be all over it (hyperbole to make a point). If we can land an Allen, Mahommes, Stafford, Brady, Herbert…or anything in the vicinity of one of those…I want to go for it. I think those teams have a shot every year. Dudes like Burrow and Rodgers will always be sniffing around in a playoff run of some sort.

Goff isn’t that guy.
Goff has good leadership.
Matt has Fantastic Leadership
Brady has UNBELIEVABLE leadership

…see what I mean? It is NOT a light switch, where either you are a leader at level 10, or you are not a leader at level 0. It’s levels and layers. Goff may be a 6 (as compared to elite QBs → interpretive term)

Goff level 6 or 7
Stafford 8.5-9
Brady as off the charts with leadership as Fox is punting

Watch how he looks when pressured…he crumples like a piece of wet tissue paper. That is where my point is made.

2 Likes

Goff prior to last year had won more games (since he entered the league) than all those guys except Brady.

That’s just it…. :man_facepalming:

Anti Stafford fans said the same things about Stafford. He can’t lead, he’s too inconsistent, etc, etc.

Pro Stafford fans kept saying. Give the guy a complete team and watch him win it all.

What did Stafford do. He won it all with a complete team around him.

Goff took the Rams to the Super Bowl. He’s already proven he can do that. He has been a very successful QB in the league. He has a worse roster than Stafford had in almost all of his years in DET…… so what are the fans saying?

Anti Goff fans - He can’t lead. He is too inconsistent.

Pro Goff fans - Let’s put a complete team around him and see what he can do.

Sound familiar?

5 Likes

Goff had a complete team and was determined to be too weak of a link at too key of a position.

His situation and what has been observed is nothing like Stafford’s.

1 Like

He took his team to the Super Bowl. They lost but his stats were better in that Super Bowl loss than some of Brady’s Super Bowl wins.

There were a lot of experts and fans who felt the problem was McVay’s unwillingness to bend and change.

From a fans situation I’d argue they are exactly the same.

From a coaches situation they are not. McVay projected the issue on to Goff. He refused to let Goff play to his strengths. He refused to adjust his offense but oddly when McVay got Stafford he opened up his offense, let Stafford play to his strengths and took out a lot of the things that made their offense predictable.

Personally I think both McVay and Goff learned from that experience.

Is Goff as good a player as Stafford? … no I don’t think he is. Especially right now.

Is he as bad as the Anti Goff crowd claims … no he’s not. But I think he has the tools to be successful. He needs a staff that shows confidence in him and a OC who lets him play to his strengths.

I see Goff very much like how Stafford was when Caldwell had first arrived. He has things to work on. He has areas to improve but he also has the ability to win and be successful.

Give the kid a chance to prove he can or can’t do it. I don’t think that’s happened yet.

6 Likes

They were wrong, though, eh?

I’m just not here with you.

Or maybe not so oddly at all. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve been both a defender of Goff and a critic of Goff. He has some issues… some of which I feel may never be corrected (fumbling, long wind-up, slow feet)… but also has promising traits (excellent accuracy, touch) and is still young enough to improve.

However… there is 1 play in the Super Bowl that I still can’t get over. The Rams had a 3-man route… and 1 was a check down. Cooks ran a post, and Woods ran a deep over. It was a simple read…. just 2 WRs downfield running complimentary routes.
And Goff just froze for some reason.

Cooks gave him the “Moss” signal at the 12 yard line…

![image|690x385]
He was so open….

Did I say that? … I did not…. But I do find it interesting McVay changed his offense and took more chances with Stafford under center. Which is what he took heat for not doing with Goff. Those changes ended with positive results. Clearly you feel it’s because he has Stafford. But if he hog tied Matt like he’d did Goff then they wouldn’t have won. That much I am confident about.

3 Likes

I’m with you on this. If they are all in on Willis I wouldn’t be surprised by it and would be fine with the pick. It’s the most important position on the field. If they feel they can upgrade it, then you upgrade the position and don’t think twice. I’m confident these guys aren’t just winging it so I trust their judgment.

2 Likes

I mean it happens. Reminds me of Stafford not seeing CJ wide open before throwing to Pettigrew in our playoff loss

If we ever get to the point where we are upset our QB not seeing a throw in the Superbowl I will be elated

1 Like

There are times when a QB missing an open WR is understandable…. but when the entire read for a play boils down to 1 specific spot on the field…. it is harder to overlook.

This is how close the Rams WRs were on the play. All he had to do was read the safety.
No other option to look at here.

I shouldn’t have phrased my question that way. Let me say it this way: They were wrong and the 12-year discussion is over.

You insist that McVay held one QB back and not the other.
I insist 1 QB held McVay back and not the other.

1 Like

Or maybe McVey wanted a veteran QB, who has played in several offensive schemes to lead a team that is built ready to win

Can’t blame him. If we were so lucky as to build an elite defense, a solid oline and have the best WR in the league, I hope we would trade for a veteran QB who knows his playing window is closing and needs to win now

1 Like

I tell y’all what, we’ll let Holmes be the judge.
We either replace a bridge on Thursday or we build around Goff.

1 Like

I think McVay held himself and his team back and he learned from that mistake.

That team wasn’t willing to continue to groom a QB. They had an opportunity to upgrade to a veteran so they did and in turn they opened up the playbook.

It’s really that simple. McVay even said it and admitted to it.

3 Likes

I agree with 100% of this.
Also…big assumption (and story you are having trouble letting go of)…
What about Goff fans that want to upgrade the position?
Not one guy here not rooting for Goff. I still wanna upgrade.
I wish I could leave a signature at the bottom of every post so I don’t have to keep repeating it.

I can tell you what I think all day long. I can offer you my truth to people all day long. At the end of the day, people are gonna twist it however they want, even to the point of telling me what I believe, even though I have repeatedly told them the inverse of what they want to think.

Love goff as a man.
Think we can have very solid success with him here.
Want to get a better QB.
If that sounds anti-Goff to you…I don’t know what else I can do here.

I think that’s the gist of it right there.

The Rams were at a point where they didn’t want to wait until Goff was ready. They were ready to win now and saw a chance to upgrade so they did.

Fans that want to upgrade now aren’t willing to wait and see what Goff can do with a better team around him.

Some are more in the wait and see mode while other are more in the can’t wait mode.

The problem I see is that there’s not a QB in this draft that’s a clear cut upgrade. If that guy were in the draft we would be forced to trade up to 1OA to get him. If that guy were in the draft then more people would get behind the idea.

2 Likes

He entered the league in 2016 and went 0-7 his first year in the league. This is not a true fact Air.

1 Like

What about 2017-2020? I actually don’t know his record, but I’m assuming Air was including those years in total.

1 Like

This is what some of us said about Stafford for years. Especially in years 6-7 when he really struggled. Mentioning any kind of competition or upgrade at QB was met with rage

I’m all about upgrading from Goff if we need to, and I’ve been consistent with my views of regularly drafting mid round QBs to keep a talent churn and push whomever the starter is

But currently, just like Holmes and Campbell said, Goff ended the season well and gets the opportunity to be the man.

1 Like