Now We Know Why Dan Campbell Hasn’t Been A Coordinator

I’m a DC fan, however this coaching staff directly lost us 2 games. Playing prevent against baltimore and minnesota when all it would take is a FG to win.

Then I’d say the chicago game because we didn’t pressure fields until the game was out of hand.

Pittsburg…eh the weather sucked and pitt didn’t want to win it either.

Today. 3rd and 14 and by not passing the ball you’re saying you don’t trust ANYONE in your offense to make a play.

so in my mind we should have 2 wins if not for the coaching staff.

I’m not really sure how this related to the thread? I certainly don’t blindly follow analytics, and clearly Dan doesn’t either since his decisions are all over the map. Was this just sorta a personal rant about analytics in general?

Quit being sensitive. You were talking about NFL coaches and so was I.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. How can I be sensitive when I don’t understand the point you’re making. I think you’re projecting my man. Are you trying to say that by making a decision that the analytics showed hurt the Lions, that it’s somehow justified by some blanket theory about “context?” That’s the best I can figure. The context is that the Lions had 77 yards passing, with a back up QB, and probably weren’t going to get another shot at scoring again. Which they didn’t. 4th and 1 you run it behind Sewell, bleed the clock, score, and make Baker Mayfield beat you through the air.

It’s not a defendable decision either statistically or in context.

I agree… because the “analytics” are NOT based on an undrafted backup QB playing.

Even IF the Lions went for it on 4th down… what percentage do the analytics give that backup QB to actually score the TD???

I just ran my own analytics… and it is overwhelmingly MORE likely that the Lions best chance to win the game was to kick the FG there… get a stop (hopefully a TO to get a short field)… and kick another FG to force OT.

Prove me wrong. Nobody can… because they don’t have enough data on a backup UDFA QBs taking over with a week of reps with team lacking the top 2 WRs to start the season… on the road… in the rain.

2 Likes

Minus Stafford, Jones, Golliday, etc, etc?
Every one of our best guys left…and were replaced with______.

Agree to disagree. By going for it you only need 1 yard to keep the drive going, which is the strength of your offense. You keep grinding the run game, bleed the clock, try and score a TD which is only 25 yards for Boyle to navigate. Then you put pressure on Baker Mayfield to beat you through the air.

With your example you’re saying you want the Lions 30th ranked run defense to stop the Browns rushing attack while being gassed. Then get the ball back to Boyle, and watch him lead a long drive back into scoring position (yea right). Then our brand new kicker has to make a high pressure field goal in the rain. Then, you need to get the ball in OT and have your offense match down the field and score again to get the W.

Again, I’ll take going for it… both in context and with analytics. Just me tho.

I agree brother, I’ve been saying this all offseason lol. I literally said the same thing on repeat for months all offseason. I think where we differ is process vs results. I predicted a 2 win season. This roster is embarrassing. However the results and the process are independent of each other in my mind. Bad coaching with crappy players isn’t excused because of bad players. The process in Detroit is broken. A couple good FA signings and some draft hits aren’t going to fix some of the terrible coaching.

I respect your optimism tho. Hopefully you’re right!

You are SO much smarter than me. I thought w/defensive upgrades in strategy and philosophy, an OL, run game, and an OK-to-Good QB in Goff, we’d be at 6-8 wins. I overshoot every single year without exception. I am being honest with myself too, I’m just a horrible football prognosticator.

YUP - have some dudes who are gonna be depth guys, some good role players, but almost no difference makers. I like Swift better than most of you guys do, as well as Hoch. I’m pretty sure I like Fox more than anyone else. LOL

For sure. I think the OC is a pain in the ass, in the doghouse, not only for piss poor coaching , but for other reasons. Dan is NOT an OC, nor does he claim to be one. He has to protect the shield a little, so he can’t say, “I’m forced to do this, because this Moronic dickhead doesn’t do his own job.” …That sorta thing.

I agree w/this too. I think the OC gets canned and upgraded. I think the DC is good, and ST is solid.
We need an OC in the worst possible way.

I think Dan is almost a pure leader of humans. Not an X’s and O’s guy. Dude needs help, and I hope we can get a good one.

Thanks, man. If my track record is any sort of indicator, don’t go calling Vegas based on my predictions. LOL. I’m looking for 8 or so wins, next year. D will be massively improved, and we’ll have more cap room…in conjunction with a shiny new pair of WRs. Mix Ragnow back in, and some of the injured defensive players, and we could easily be .500-ish, next year. QB is the real riddle we need to solve here.

There is no better pictoral representation of being a Lions Fan than this

2 Likes

Staley has never called an offense either and is excellent at what he actually does - coaching the RBs to see holes and hit them.

BTW, its no accident that ALL our backs can do this at a pro level (even converted safety Godwin Igebwuike). Staley invented a vision and footwork drill that’s so good that it has become part of the NFL scouting combine (called The Duce Staley Drill). See here under running backs: The NFL Combine’s new drills, explained: 16 workouts added, 10 taken away for 2020 | Sporting News

Besides, Lynn is still feeding Campbell plays and reads. DC just gets to decide whether he agrees or want to call his own play to the QB. He literally took over play “calling” duties, not the OC role. I think they’ve been running more because of him and because Goff got injured in Q1 last week.

1 Like

He did have 21 TD’s and 8 Int’s his senior year of high school.

I also don’t think Jamal looked right which takes away a major threat on 4th and 1.

2 Likes

Thank you.

We know, that’s why we are trying to help you.

2 Likes

Your statement was “The analytics don’t support his coaching decisions today.”

The point of this discussion is that you can take those “analytics”… and toss them out window of the bus on the way to the stadium today.

Prior to kicking the FG on 4th and 1… the Lions defense had held the Browns to 41 yards on 17 plays in the 4 possesions of the 2nd half… and forced an INT.

The Lions defense was the only reason they were in the game… so he relied on the defense.

2 Likes

In fairness Staley was brought to Detroit to be the Assistant Head Coach. Campbell has been vocal about trying to mentor Duce on how to be a HC. So he’s doing way more than coaching RBs….

1 Like

But you had to score regardless of your defense? Your point would only be valid in a tie game. You can’t rely on your defense to score points. The point here is that the Lions needed to score to win. What gives you the best chance to do that? Going for it on 4th and goal near the red zone? Or hoping your defense gets a stop and Boyle taking them down the field? No one is debating the defense played well, but you don’t get points for stopping them on defense. That’s the point I’m bringing up, and what the analytics were pointing to.

Could you be less of a condescending dbag sometimes? It seems to be especially strong when someone challenges your standing as the resident “know it all” who’s always right (what a way to spend your life btw)

1 Like

With a lack of WRs… and a UDFA QB starting his 1st game… on the road… in the rain… would the odds of scoring a TD in the red zone with a condensed field… be better than kicking 2 FGs?

Reminder… The Lions ranked 30th in the NFL in redzone TD%… with the starting QB playing.

And then the offense would get to overtime where they’d have to go score AGAIN. So to answer your question… yes. A TD from 20 yards out is far more statistically likely than 3 consecutive field goal drives. Especially since the kicking conditions sucked and the Lions just signed a brand new kicker off the street.

Just my 2 cents. I see your perspective but I clearly agree with the analytics on this one.