O'CYRUS TORRENCE

100%, bro. Trenches first, man!

1 Like

No I’m not worried about Decker in 2 years or Ragnow in 2027….

I’m worried JJackson will want 13M plus per year, and I’m not paying that…. If we are going to pay him, then they should do it now…. Glasgow got 11M APY three years ago… Big V was like a partial 1 year starter he got 9M APY, and Scherff just got north of 16M APY over 30 years of age….

Last time we were in the spot we kind of knew Suh was gonna want to break the bank, and Fairley wasn’t getting a long term deal… Suh basically said he was leaving, and a month before the draft we chose not to pickup Fairley’s 5th year option.

Right now we’ve got a solid OG on a 1 year and a 30,yr old RG coming off back surgery, and he’s missed 25 of his last 50 games.

• does that sound all set at OG?
1 Like

They shouldn’t pay him IMO. Both Tackles and Ragnow get the money on the OLine. The guards have to be rinse and repeat as long as those three are here. The line will always be good as long as those three play at a high level. I don’t think it’s smart to pour another big contract into that unit.

A TON of big contracts coming down the pipe in the next couple years. Can’t keep all our good players if we want to keep our franchise guys.

Hutch, Sewell, ARSB…that’s 60m AAV right there minimum. Gotta let guys like Jonah go.

Quenton Nelson No GIF by Indianapolis Colts

Then why you keep bring it up? I never said set at OG We will need a ROG this season if its a healthy Big V fine on a reduced cap hit. If not the draft or sign a top end OG.
We have Jackson this year an worry about resigning him later.

One season at a time sound quality moves if its resigning or UFAs or draft

Lol over 3000 snaps and only one time they touch his QB. I think the arm chair scouting is a little lacking on this one. He is very comparable Hali witch most of you don’t like but the staff really does. I think he is who they been looking at in Florida.

“Torrence is the only four-year starter we have ever scouted that has never surrendered a single sack during his entire career. What makes this even more special is the fact he has played over 3000 snaps!”

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Torrence is a ridiculous guard prospect, he’s a man mountain with off-the-scale power as a drive blocker and well-developed skills as a pass protector. We assumed that once he transferred to Florida he’d be unable to reproduce his play at the next level, we were seriously wrong as he continued to dominate as a run blocker while not allowing a single sack in pass protection.

Torrence is an outstanding pro prospect who will quickly make an impact in the pro game and ultimately we see him as showing pro-bowl potential. It’s a shame he wasn’t played at tackle in college (given his measurables) as he’d likely be viewed as a top-five selection. As a guard we still expect him to be an easy first-round selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Im all for building the trenches.offense and defense

2 Likes

I get the thinking behind this and wouldn’t be totally pissed if they took him, BUT…
Out offense goes from what 5 to 3 and scores another point per game? We need help on defense at some point and pick 18 is where we get it rather than an OG that we can get in the 2nd round

Now the reason I say I wouldn’t be totally pissed is because this would be a long term pick and not a win in 2023 pick. Yes we would be better but you would know Holmes is going to build for a consistent winner by stock piling the trenches

Talent & Depth
I think snagging an OG in the first 4 picks is a fantastic idea that is far more valuable than a 2 slot fall/rise in offensive ranking.

If we can snag one there, I completely trust Bradley with that.
I’m just pissed that there isn’t a defensive tackle that is likely to be worthy @ that spot.

This is what I was thinking too, man. Guarantee it is a very long term pick. This team is going to be a perennial playoff team & usually contend.

Time of possession and wearing a team down, along with scoring, helps the defense out.

Lets say perhaps the lions sign Delvin Tomlinson and Jamel Dean in free agency. That is your DT and CB help you need. This would allow the freedom to chooseTorrence ay 18. Plug and play him between Sewell and Ragnow and the right side of the line is probably the top unit in football.

Still allows 2 picks in the 2nd round and 1 in tge 3rd to add to the defense. However, how many spots are you going to have.open for starters at that point.

IMO we are at the point where we are drafting roll players and players that will contribute. However, expecting starters from the middle of the 2nd round on, when you’re considered the front runner is not sound

Give me Avila at pick 55. Similar potential at Guard with the ability to play Center which is important if we lose Brown.

4 Likes

His ability to move in space has nothing to do with the QB getting touched though, unless it’s a play-action bootleg to the pull-side, which happens so infrequently I don’t think it’s even worth considering. He’s out in front of the play.

With Ben Johnson as coordinator, our guards were regularly pulled and sent to the second-level. The only time this happens on a passing play is if it’s a quick pass behind the line of scrimmage, or if we’re trying to trick the defense. With the latter we’re generally hoping the defense follows the puller, leaving the QB to come free on the other side after play action. And in both situations, the QB is unaffected by the pulling lineman.

In a phone booth, whether protecting the QB or firing forward, Torrence is fabulous. I love him there. But equating QB-not-getting-touched to good-on-the-move doesn’t work. Torrence is not good on the move. And that’s fine, that’s not his game. A lot of stud NFL guards aren’t good on the move. But at least since Ben has been in charge, we’ve wanted our guards to be good on the move.

1 Like

That’ll work between Ragnow and Sewell!

1 Like

During our hot streak we were running counter play action looks to sell run at least a time or two a game. I get the argument regarding frequency but Torrence has zero shot to make that block.

But you are right, the run game would be where the more frequent stylistic fit issues come up.

2 Likes

And even on that play, it’s not the job of the pulling blocker to keep the QB clean. Ideally he’s heading the other way. Unless it’s a double-counter or something.

It’s a good point about how we have used guards in the running game. The counter to that is pressure in Goff’s face because the right guard was getting beat like a drum was an issue last year in a few games. We basically lost the Bills game because we couldn’t block Ed Oliver for example. Torrence is going help keep Goff clean and possibly extend Goff’s career. We can make tweaks to the run blocking designs up front. Fraley is a really good O-line coach, he knows what he’s doing. Both Sewell and Ragnow are studs in the run game. So an anchor between them to ensure no pressure in Goff’s face, makes a lot of sense to me.

Then again, #18 is pretty early for a guard. I could see Holmes waiting until round 2 or 3 before going O-line. I guess a lot of this comes down to what they are planning to do with a certain Big V!?

You sure? That Carolina play where Burns got a clean run it sure seemed like from Brown’s reaction he was at least supposed to get over there make Burns bend his arc

1 Like

The 3rd down sack? I thought that one was on Decker.

That’s , you have said when it comes to Anderson he’s not the best fit for or a really a need but good coaches find a way to use him.

I will take Torrance over any Olineman in this draft. Nelson was a high pick and even him doesn’t compare to to what O’Cyrus has done, 3000 snaps 1 hit and no sacks is amazing. Every other lineman in this draft has more hits and sacks in there best year then him in 4 . You can tell me it’s first matter but no QB will ever agree with you. That is hudge to plug a guy in a forget it for next 10 years. This is a guy you find a way to use , he is very similar to Hali.

1 Like

I’m going off of memory. I remember Brown busting his trying to get over to Burns and then kind of hanging his head afterward. Perhaps there was some assignment confusion. Decker didn’t even engage Burns IIRC. I assume that Ben was riffing of some run action in some sort of sequence.

1 Like