O'CYRUS TORRENCE

Its funny reading in one thread how terrible Anthony Richardson’s line was and then open another thread saying that he had one of the greatest OG prospects in history in front of him.

Yeah that’s fair, I just think Anderson’s 1000X better a prospect than most everyone else in this class so I’d find a way to use him. If you view Torrence in a similar light, I get it. And I really like him too.

It’s just the first thing I think of when I think Ben Johnson offense is creativity, and putting your lineman on the move allows you to be so, so much more creative. The Torrence pick would limit what he could do. Maybe talent wins out and he goes that route, I’m just not sure he would want to do that.

2 Likes

He had another that will get drafted or at least get a decent FA contract as well. His line wasn’t terrible, that’s overblown.

But as you know with OL, one or two bad can make the whole ship sink. See basically all of Joe Thomas’s career. So no, I don’t think it was a terrible line. But it was a pretty below average one.

1 Like

This one?

1 Like

No. His other sack. He just got a free run. Straight angle to Jared who gave it up.

1 Like

IIRC Decker was looping out into the flat. Perhaps the idea was to set up a swing or screen. Don’t recall it clearly as I was fairly enraged by the way the game was going.

Perhaps the design was to let Burns run free and get it out quick :man_shrugging:

It really doesn’t address how much Richardson was able to escape with his 4.40 speed as well.

2 Likes

The Browns had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Its the rest of the team that stunk. They were loaded across the board at one point. They literally had the best LT in the NFL, the best RT in the NFL, the best C in the NFL and near pro bowl quality guards between them. Its crazy to think about, but its true.

Thats why I really like your opinions and respect you, you will act knowledge others view and how they come up with it even if you don’t exactly agree.

4 Likes

I don’t remember that at all. Just glancing I see a bunch of who?'s like John Greco, Alvin Bailey, Austin Pasztor, Eric Steinbach, Rex Hadnot, Kevin Shaffer, John St. Clair, Pork Chop Womack, Jason Pinkston, and Tony Pashos.

He had Mitchell Schwartz at RT for four years in the middle and he was good and Alex Mack at C so it was probably better than I remembered, but the rotating cast of guys around them was appalling until Bitonio showed up (and by then Mack was gone and Schwartz only had a year left).

So let’s go with Laremy Tunsil instead. The point still stands… the OL is only as strong as its weakest link.

It’s a weak OT class but a fairly good IOL class so there’s no need to reach for an OL that doesn’t fit what we want to do……but… I’m not sold that Ben would view Torrence as a limitation to his offense.

Is it better to have an OG who wins heads up against the best DT’s or to have one who moves? I think that’s the question the Lions will need to answer for themselves.

Does Ben really prefer athletes at OG or was he just utilizing what he had? Would he welcome a player like Torrence?… I think he would.

I think there’s something to be said for an OG who can move the LOS in short yardage situations.

Let’s keep in mind we’re not talking about an OG who can not pull or be functional in zone blocking concepts. He’s shown enough movement skills to be effective. It’s clearly not his strength though.

I can see the argument for drafting him and I can see the argument for passing on him.

Ultimately I think the Lions want a dominant OL and any dominating player is going to be hard for them to pass on. So I believe Torrence is on our radar.

1 Like

All I’ve been reading is it’s a really weak IOL class

It’s a weak OT class.

Definitely not weak on the IOL. It doesn’t have as much top tier talent as last years class. Likely only 2 IOL will go round 1 but it’s a fairly deep IOL class. Expect a run on day two.

I expect the Lions to take one at some point between 18 and 81.

1 Like

It looks like there are a lot of C-G swingmen that can make a roster but I don’t see many plug and play guards starting from day 1. Usually there are a handful of short arm tackles that get passed over early that you can find in the later rounds but this draft looks thin. Maybe one of the centers like Schmitz or Tippman but even they are probably 2nd round picks.

2 thoughts occurred to me regarding this discussion regarding Torrence:

1. Where are the Posters, who vehemently declared, ad nauseam, " Lions can’t have 5, 1st Round Picks making up the O-Line, at the expense of any other unit !. A total mismanagement of limited.resources."
  2. In all likelihood, OC Ben Johnson is gone after the 2023 season.
    While I highly value Ben’s input in the drafting process, if I’m Brad, I’m drafting the No.1 Guard, a plug-in-play player for many seasons, low bust potential, possible perennial Pro Bowler candidate for the long term, solidifying the O-Line for 2-3 seasons minimal, whether Brad Johnson is here or not. I value power football, 3rd down and 3, coupled with superior pass protection ability, over perceived lack of pulling ability 24/7. Give me a “In their Prime- New Orleans Saints OL”, anytime. Sure fire recipe for success short-term and long-term. Regardless, #18 will be an interesting pick, especially if Bijan is still on the board.
1 Like

We’re gonna get an OL that will make “The greatest show on turf” look like “the greatest show in Nerf”.

Buncha maulers

1 Like

You make an irresistible point. Get em.

1 Like

I would love to see what “real football people” think about Torrence. I feel like he’s another kid who is getting overhyped during draftnik season in part because draftniks tend to care more about how a player looks on paper and highlights than actual game film. For instance I can’t take any stat seriously that points to the idea that Torrence is a master pass blocker that never gives up sacks or QB hits…when its easy to see film of him getting beat and Richardson simply improvises his way out of the sack.

Ben would have some input into the play designs, but he’s probably not in charge of the run blocking schemes or run designs. That would be on people who are going to be here after Ben leaves.

1 Like

Have not read the entire thread so this may have come up already but, my understanding is this guy is a guard and that’s all he’ll ever be. He’s not flexible in how they can use him.

I believe they grab a tackle that can play guard in the second round. That gives them maximum flexibility down the road — Decker will not be here forever.

Richardson was his QB for 4 years ?