Official fire MCDC thread

Ah … no, he didn’t deserve ALL the criticism he got
Some, sure — every coach deserves some here and there
I have zero concern that anything will go to his head
He’s a mature man and clearly a solid leader

Honestly, some of the criticism I read here had me scratching my head.
We’ve got a decent coach, great leader and he can put a high quality staff in place and not worry about his ego.

I expect him to achieve more success than most of us have seen in our lifetimes.

Ok … that’s a “low bar” … :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m not a full no, but still questioning some of his moves. But we most compete next year

You don’t seriously believe this, do you?

3 Likes

His words -

“I get the texts and I get the calls, ‘Hey man, hang in there,’” Campbell said. “And so it’s like the more that I get, the more I know there is chatter. I know there’s chatter out there. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be getting all of these calls out of the blue or these texts. I know that, and look, as far as being warranted, when you don’t win a game, I should be getting criticized. I don’t blame anybody for that. That’s the reality of it right now.

“Certainly, I can be better, and there are things that – now it’s been three games and all three of those games there are three calls I wish I could have back. So, you learn as you go, you grow and then … look, I’m not going to lie, there are things about it between learning to be a head coach and a playcaller that are all – it’s stuff that I’m working through right now, that I can get better at. I look at all of it and I think about how do I prepare myself as best as I can and how do I improve on what I’ve done to help these guys.”

2 Likes

Very much enjoy your takes but this aged rather poorly.

1 Like

I’ve never been as excited by a head coach kicking it deep with two and a half minutes left and three runouts as I was this week.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I was definitely glad to see him kick deep on that kick off. It was a sound coaching decision and not some whacked out let’s go for the gusto moment that he’s tended to do this season.

Although his decision making does seem to be improving.

I’m being very serious. I was elated that he didn’t go full Danny Gambletron. That’s my only remaining issue with him. Dial that back, Dan. Analytics be damned.

2 Likes

He set an NFL record yesterday by going for it on 4th down. The most in an NFL season. Ever ….in all of history. And the season is not over yet.

So Dan Gambleton is fitting.

1 Like

Surely it would just be Dan Gamble?

2 Likes

Exactly.

He knows there’s chatter, but he’s not listening to any of it. Why would he, good or bad?

Who exactly would he be listening to? Carlos at the freep? ESPNbaby? Terry Bradshaw and the fox football entertainers? Colin Cowherd? Are these people advising, through public commentary, our HC? And if they were, this would be a good thing? Listening to the wind, fueled by blowhards with no innate knowledge of what’s happening behind the scenes is a positive for a HC? Personally, I’d want nothing to do with that type of “leader”.

“Well, I really wanted to go for it there but Carlos and Colin were pretty adamant that it was a mistake last time, so we didn’t this time.”

Now THAT’S a loser.

1 Like

The Dudegenerate

1 Like

Thought I read he was in 2nd, behind Billy B in NE, not that it really matters.
36 to 39 iirc, it was mentioned in the Detroit papers today.

Ok, but if we start the season with Buffalo, New England, Dallas, and say, at Green Bay, and we’re 1-3 or even 0-4, can we not panic then?

1 Like

Depends on how they lost, hard to agree on panicking without knowing the details, did they lose all four on last second 66 yard fg? It’s a marathon, concern, sure, panic possibly but not necessarily.
Dolphins started out 1-7 iirc and are now 8-7

1 Like

I don’t know of any coach that would get handed this roster, then lose a lot of it to injury etc and still play these games this close.

Getting players to play this hard despite the horrid record says something. I am going to put 3 losses right on him and his staff, but that was early on (balt, minny, first chicago game) but he has changed for the better since then.

2 Likes

We’re a few slick balls and a bum call or two and some covid tests from an even record. Or better. But, let’s get real. Do these players like their coach? If so he’s the right man for the job. They can hire an xs and os guru at season end. Personally I thought they improved substantially when DC took over play calling. But it may have been because Goff got more comfortable with his receivers. His stable of pass catchers acted like they had their feet in molasses for awhile.

1 Like

“OMG! Not again!”
Can you think of anything more fitting?

@LionFrog

Bumping old threads is something we frown upon here and it’s a quick way to get a suspension.

Because it’s a fairly New Rule I’m going to let’s it slide with a warning.

See this new rule here.