Okudah--different opinions

I think a little of both

I think we’ll draft our guy. I’m real iffy on oruwariye extension… he’s a ballhawk but out of position a lot. I’m hoping he proves me wrong this year or better yet proves to just be more consistent because I am objectively NOT wrong about him being out of place a lot.

But if we are going to pay big money to a guy I’d rather it be a stud. If not we can just ride it out with guys like jerry jacobs. Those turnovers DO matter though.

I think if we ever sure up our D-line with some beef. AO might actually get picked on and exposed. I’m hoping not.

Goff and the receivers looked terrific the day I saw them. Defense definitely needs to step up.

Goff has some great timing with the starters. It’s hard to defend perfectly placed balls. I thought our corners were close quite often but not close enough.

This is a really good sign for Okudah, coming back from the Achilles tear, I was a bit concerned about his speed.

스크린샷 2022-08-10 1.33.49 PM

3 Likes

Let’s hope our passrush gets home early and often this season to help the secondary a bit. Really the entire defense is a concern at all 3 levels.

Isn’t that their job though? To report what they see, give their observations? Is it different than anybody who works for a sports network who give their opinion? Not all of them have played sports before and, quite frankly, there are former players/coaches who give weak commentary.

Just like with any human, opinions are subjective so there will be some variance of opinion. I don’t see the issue with the reporting here.

2 Likes

There’s a difference between an observation and analysis (especially on something you don’t understand). And there’s a big difference between Dan Orlovsky evaluating a play and Carlos, for example.

You could say, “Jeff Okudah looks healthy and was a full participant in today’s practice, logging an interception on a deep route from Jared Goff.” That’s an observation.

You shouldn’t say, “Okudah has performed the best of any of the cornerbacks in camp, and likely has the No. 1 CB position locked down.” Because A) unless a coach tells you he’s No. 1 CB, that’s (baseless) speculation and B) Unless you understand the team’s defensive packages and assignments, there’s no possible ■■■■■■■ way you can make that assessment.

I suppose you could classify something as your opinion, but when was the last time a reporter actually qualified a statement that way? NoT GoOd fOr cLiCkS!

Leave analysis to the analysts. It’s why color commentators are often ex-players. They know what to look for. And it’s why so many terrible opinions often originate from people like Stephen A Smith or Colin Cowherd or Skip Bayless. They’re glorified reporters with big mouths, but rewarded because they convey something in an engaging way.

(Also why most athletes can’t stand them because they know they’re full of shit)

1 Like

I think our pass rush will be somewhere in the muddy of the pack this year. I do think Hutchinson kicking inside on pass rushing downs is going to give teams problems though.

1 Like

They have every right to give their opinion on their personal Twitter. I would care less for what they said if they linked an article with their post, but just tweeting their opinion should be fine IMO. If fans are reading mixed opinions that get tweeted out and start jumping to conclusions as to what is accurate, whose fault is that? It’s pretty elementary to me.

This is exactly what gives me concern. If he has all the attitude stuff in spades and the athletic portion was up to snuff, it seems like this would be the most publicized story of the offseason other than Hutch.

1 Like

I don’t entirely disagree that sometimes reporters take it too far but I think there’s a difference between a reporter at TC who is supposed to report what he’s seeing that “Okudah looks like the best CB out there today” and the hot take artists Skip and Steven A. are that just say controversial things for extra viewership.

Also, there are plenty of former players out there who were/are awful commentators/analysts,=. being a former player doesn’t automatically qualify you as a quality analyst and being a non-professional athlete doesn’t disqualify you . Michael Irvin is one that comes to mind immediately, Kendrick Perkins is another one.

Look at it this way, when these reporters/beat writers are projecting final rosters writing who they think is in or out, do you think that goes above and beyond what they should report because that’s no different than Risdon saying that he thinks Okudah has the inside track on CB2 based on what he saw.
Personally, I like to see the opinions of those live at Camp to give us fans who can’t see what’s going on an idea of who is playing well or not. I’d be more inclined to read an article entitled “Who is trending up/down on Day 13 at Camp” as opposed to an article just stating obvious facts like “Okudah is back at practice and had an interception”.

100% agreed with this. Those guys you mentioned are literally paid to glorify stuff and have outrageous takes for ratings. They are so full of shit. I can’t watch them for more than 10 seconds without needing to change the channel. I honestly don’t even think they believe what they are saying most of the time, they are just playing a character so to speak.

Hutch and Paschal kicking inside on passing downs makes sense. Get a pass rush in the QB’s face, so he can’t step up and then have speed coming off the edge in guys like Julian, Harris and Houston.

1 Like

If he really is out of position “a lot”…. I am surprised the opposing offenses didn’t have better success against him. :roll_eyes:

Top 10 rating against… with a weak pass rush in 2021.

3 Likes

The fact that AO had 6 ints with almost no pass rush was very impressive. If the pass rush improves, which it better when you draft Alim, Levi, Hutch and Paschal all early in the last 2 drafts, AO should have even more chances to make plays.

1 Like

I think 21.6 mph was his flight speed after Penei sent him off into orbit during the first padded scrimmage.

3 Likes

Haha did you see it on Hard Knocks? I sure did! Sewell sent him flying.

Seriously though, I really don’t want to see any more of that. Sewell hitting our corners is a recipe for injuries. He’s got about 125 pounds on those little fellas. Wait until the regular season, and start demolishing the other teams DB’s. That’s the one thing with Sewell that makes him so good, is how fast he is. No man that size, should be able to move that quick where he is out blocking corners and safeties.

1 Like

Me too actually. The browns game is where it stood out most. Baker mayfield just couldn’t get it done. But even if you didn’t watch the full games and only saw the highlights you’d notice that over half of his interceptions were kind of fluke plays where the receiver slips or the QB throws behind. But if the ball was on point or the receiver doesn’t fall it would have been a big gain.

Oruwariye is just really good at making the offense pay for their mistakes. As he should.

It’s like what would you rather. Bevin Lawson who’s ALWAYS in the receivers hip but can never make a play on the ball or a corner who isn’t always on his receiver but makes the QB pay.

I’d like a bit more balance. I like him overall though

These two clips kinda show what I mean. But I remember seeing it in real time. But to be fair will Harris sucked at safety and our DBs were called out consistently for not being on the same page and needing to work on their communication. I’m hoping those issues get fixed.

And when Oruwariye says he’s working on his technique I’m hoping he means he’s working to limit these kinds of plays.

What a terrible throw by Baker in the 2nd video. WR is wide open and the free safety jumps a route on the other side of the field. With an accurate throw that might have been a 90 yard TD. AO got lucky on that one. But, he also made several great plays on INT’s as well last year.

1 Like