Okudah--different opinions

He definitely made a ton of plays. A lot of them were not as bad as this one versus the browns but similar types. You can see it on his highlight tape.

Lions just haven’t had CBs who were able to consistently capitalize on the offense’s mistakes and make plays on the ball so I appreciate him. You can’t win every rep. But I’m not confused about his limitations and I bet that’s why they are holding off on the extension.

1 Like

If they let AO go, then they’ll need to add 2 starting corners. But I agree, I think it’s telling AO doesn’t have an extension yet. They want to see him prove it this year before they decide what to do with him. Which I personally think is probably the right play

1 Like

2 plays with zero help… I can live with that in 17 games.

And the play against the Browns wasn’t even that bad for a downfield route without help.

Okudah just has to stay healthy. That is first and foremost. He does that, and I think everything will fall into place for him.

2 Likes

I’m a pretty big Amani O fan. I’m really hoping Okudah does what he is capable of and becomes cb1.

2 Likes

Straight speed is rarely lost after an Achilles. It’s a players ability to cut, back peddle and make sudden direction changes that are most effected.

1 Like

Fortunately he only plays corner back….

1 Like

It’s still early, and the practice field isn’t likely to be the deciding factor, but it’s feeling like Will Harris is putting a little bit of a cushion between himself and Jeff Okudah for the starting cornerback job.

Harris was listed ahead of Okudah on the team’s first unofficial depth chart. And there’s an emphasis on the word “unofficial” given that listing is put together by the team’s media relations staff. Still, it’s a perception that looks to be based on reality with the way the rep rotation has been trending.

Ouch - rooting for Okudah. Some extremely unfortunate tings in his career, so far. Hope he’s fully healthy and has a chance to be awesome. Love the guy, but he’s gotta be able to produce.

Yep, kind of like when you have a guy, (Rod Wood), who signs off on way over blown contracts, (Rod Wood), when he admittedly, (Rod Wood), knows nothing about football.

Yah sure
Let’s perpetuate this nonsense

Not surprised at all Harris would be ahead of Okudah. I fully expected it after that injury. He may be doing fine running straight lines but getting that lateral/shifty movement back takes a ton of time.

1 Like

Wonder what happens moving forward? Is this the same injury Jamo had?

What if Okudah can in fact recover?
What if it takes much longer than anticipated?
Do we end up keeping him at a deeply discounted price and it works out long term?
…or do we just have to bite the bullet on him?

No, Jamo tore his ACL, which players come back from much better than Achilles tears. ACL recovery is quite successful these days. The Achilles is a tough one to come back from.

We have 3 dudes all on defense coming back from Achilles tears. Okudah, Romeo and Cornell, who is now 2 years removed from his.

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of people share my opinion. Read the comments…

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1557789443368448001?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twterm^list%3A_PurplePain_%3Alionsredzone|twgr^eyJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfcmVzdWx0X21pZ3JhdG

I think they stick with him. We know he has the talent. He said Patricia and the defensive staff gave him zero help or suggestions. It’s just a matter of getting his body ready.

1 Like

I think so too, man. Hope so, for sure.

2 Likes

I keep reading where some are using the unofficial depth chart as a negative. The way I see it is a) DC has stated that Okudah needs more reps. b) DC has stated that 1st team will only play a quarter, so a series or 2. c) Okudah should play a majority of the game, since he is not 1st team. Which when put together makes me believe that the coaches feels he needs more real playing time to make sure that he is ready for the season, and what better way then to put him unofficially in a position that he will get the majority of the snaps in the first preseason game. Sounds like a win win move to me.

2 Likes

A lot of people think QAnon is a real thing

Really, that’s what you’re going with? So when confronted by unpleasant truths your reply QAnon? Nice, they couldn’t be more alike.

1 Like