Omg a top 10 pick! šŸ˜±

Youā€™re not getting the same return if youā€™re trading back from 27 to 32 as you are from 7 to 12.

we pick ā€œearlier to fix a messā€ all the time. Is it working !?

Iā€™m tired of this team losing by coincidence, why lose on purpose !?

have we picked a straight badass by losing? how do you know QBā€™s wonā€™t be better next year over a must take Fields, Lawrenceā€¦, whoever? we have a weak defense? ā€œhey lets draft a QB.ā€

to me this is not the time to hunt QB , we have so few picks, money questions, contract deals, cuts, re-sign , we need WRā€™s, LBā€™s , DT, DE, S, possibly a RB , CB, or OL guyā€¦can we fix some of that before drafting a QB? this is possibly a 3 draft fix , before we really compete and then it depends if we have solid leadershipā€¦for once.

I said nothing about drafting a qb In this thread for the Lions. Itā€™s about having the most choices available when they pick. The most capitol available to them in this draft.

Itā€™s not a coincidence this teams loses. They suck. The last regime wrecked the roster.

I used Lawrence as an example of talent that will not be there at pick 3 if you needed a qb and wanted him.

The Lions suck right now. They lost trying to win. Take solace in that. I guess.

really, you said nothing about Trevor Lawrence. if your not picking top two your not drafting him.???

sound familiar?

Heā€™s not talking about the Lions drafting him. He used Trevor Lawrence as an example of why early picks are (and in this case should be) coveted.

1 Like

Yeah, so.

Did I say the anything about the Lions drafting him?

Itā€™s about being able to select talent where youā€™re picking.

As I said prior.

If you want a QB and want Lawrence, youā€™re not getting him outside of 2 for sure without paying up. Most probably outside of 1 without paying up big time.

Thereā€™s more to draft picks besides the player you can take. Itā€™s the value they represent should you want to move around to get certain talent or move out of your pick and get additional capitol.

At 3 and want Lawrence, be prepared to pay up picks to be able to get him. You donā€™t pick to 20+, you can forget it.

If you hold pick 1 and donā€™t want a QB, you can get multiple extremely high picks from someone for the right to select Lawrence. Enough to effect quick change up and down your roster.

The value of pick 7 is better than pick 12, which is better than pick 32.

fine , but Iā€™m not losing my ass off to draft high. the Lions wouldnā€™t be but I suspect the owners donā€™t care about wins, just as long as they get paid

Iā€™m not sure the old man cared about winning as much as not losing money. I think Martha truly did try to do what was right to win. She was in over her head. She went to the league for help. She hired based upon their recommendations. Hard to say someone didnā€™t try when they admit they need help and seek it, and follow the advice from those recommended to help her.

Sheila Hampshire Ford seems that way too. Not going to be as forgiving as her parents on things.

The family as a whole has always hired people to run the football business and then let them do their jobs. They donā€™t interfere.

yes they hired people, not the right people-but people. we lost and lost , lost and lost , and lost more. I always wondered why our owners never put an end to it. you stop and think about it and they are billionaires , they have the power and money , and influence to hire the best individuals money can buy really do the research, the homework about who is the most experienced , most knowledgeable , football minds they can possibly get and get them to run their NFL team. The Fords could-have done that any time EVEN if it took a year to assemble/gather these types OR, IF they didnā€™t want to botherā€¦HIRED someone they trusted to do it. The Fords had great power and money. and the teamā€™s outcome would-have been night and day different. BUT for whatever reason, none of the Fords did they hired cheaper, lesser people. my only thought as to why you would do that?

ā€œyou win , you win.ā€ ā€œyou lose, you lose.ā€ ā€œwe still make our money off of it.ā€ Martha tried some when she acted to fire people herself , but she was in over her headā€¦and again they were making money so itā€™s ok.
The hiring from them was unforgiveable. I started seriously watching at 5 years old 1978ā€¦over the years we had some pretty good players here and thereā€¦very rarely all on one roster. and we lost.

The Detroit Lions and itā€™s players have suffered because the owners decided to go cheap when hiring persons to run the teams. they could not correctly build lines, to this day. it took 8 years to get a RB unit worth anything after 2009.

they cannot build a defense correctly YET , the offense is ā€œokā€ but it could be twice betterā€¦thatā€™s the way itā€™s always been. those hires have absolutely predictable game plans , our players -if your being honest-, are NOT being properly trained , coached, or preparedā€¦the strength and conditioning is WEAK. and we lose over and over STILL.

when we draft? we have some schmo picking / doing half assed. last? our HCā€™s and Gmā€™s get fired every 2-3 seasons, rinse repeat. and the wheel goes round annually.

What a top ten pick does is give you a chance to get an elite talent. Rarely do you not get a shot at an elite talent, but sometimes it isnā€™t clear as few guys have high floors. This year I suspect the Lions could easily get a top DL, LB or WR. They will likely hope a top difference maker on defense is available. Last year Derrick Brown was available and would have given much more as a rookie and several WRā€™s would have also. The draft boards will change a lot by draft time. How teams grade guys that sat out this year will be interesting.

The shambles that BQ and Patricia left the team in and the vacancy, unknown leadership, does lend to the feel that weā€™re going to our Super Bowl to punt.

I think the word ā€œshamblesā€ is inappropriate for this situation.

1 Like

Allow me to introduce you toā€¦ the Lions defense.

Just because Patricia canā€™t coach a lick doesnā€™t mean the pieces on defense are as bad as he made them look. Thereā€™s more to work with on this defense than Austin had to work with on the 2016 Lions.

1 Like

Do you think the Lions would be a better team right now if we would have had lower picks every year?

All of these comments just point to the enigma of the overall philosophical decision that faces the franchise. Do you go full rebuild, or do you try to fix and add?

Thereā€™s a good case for both philosophies. I certainly donā€™t know what the right answer is, and I think thereā€™s constrictions on either path due to contracts and the salary cap.

This is a good conversation and all facets have a good deal of interesting points.

Personally, I donā€™t think they should embark on the full rebuild unless they can cash Stafford in for a blockbuster return, thatā€™s just my opinion.

I think we would be a better team if we had better coaching and played better football.

I think sometimes you have to make some tough decisions that might set your team back a little bit in the near term. But the idea of a full scale rebuild where you completely dismantle a franchise and build it back up from scratch over a 5+ year period is a fan fantasy that has very little basis in reality. I think the right horizon is always the 2nd and 3rd year. As we have discussed previously, if a coach or new regime doesnā€™t have the team going in the right direction and competing for something by year 2 or 3 its not going to happen. So if you feel the need to make a year 1 sacrifice, ask yourself how you are going to recover from it and how it leaves you poised to make a run in year 2 or year 3. And if you look at the situation and donā€™t think you will be built for a run in year 2 or year 3ā€¦that means you tore down too damn much or your plan is probably too long term to work anyways.

1 Like

The defense is the one part of the team that Wood admits is a rebuild.

And drafted better no matter where we pick!!

You know, we may have to look at that a little closer.

Ansah, Zettel, Robinson, Hyder and Copeland are on 2020 rosters and Ngata is retired. Iā€™m giving the nod to the 2016 DL.

There were definitely more DBā€™s to work with this year. Austin had Slay, Diggs, Lawson, Killebrew and Wilson, along with the now-retired Quin and Carey. 2020 DBā€™s win this from a talent perspective.

Wow, we have been poor at LB for FARRRRR too long. 2016ā€™s LBā€™s that are still in the league? Whitehead, Bostic and Bynes. (then, of course, the failing Levy) Itā€™s hard to imagine our current LBā€™s are better, but they very well may be with Collins, Ragland, Davis and JRM. Horrible thought.

1 Like