Omg a top 10 pick! đŸ˜±

winning is success in the NFL , not losing/tanking for higher picks.

we are the Detroit Lions a losing franchise, so is it not better to win all the games you possibly can?

we haven’t REACHED anything, we have losing down pat though. you want more wins then you have to play the games and try to win.

do WE look better with more wins or less?

I agree that we want good football players. The discussion, though, is on the value of a top-10 pick. The picks are of more value the earlier they are made. Unfortunately for us, this isn’t an automatic win. No singular pick can overcome the demonstrated incompetence of a GM or HC. So, when we go back to the conversation that good teams aren’t picking early, well, that’s because they’re good teams for a reason; they know how to build their roster. Bad teams that do pick consistently early are demonstrating something; not that the early picks are not of higher value, rather that early picks are not sufficient to overcome the inadequacies of the GM in general.

The value of the top picks based on the actual players and results you get from them. Not some arbitrary chart. The entire point I make every year is that fans and many teams overrate the top picks in any given draft. They approach it like its the NBA draft, where all of the top talent is smooshed in at the top and then there’s a huge dropoff expected after that. That’s not how the NFL draft or NFL football works.

once we are eliminated from the playoffs , do you want a HC to say “hey guys it’s over might as well not try
It’s ok to lie down, quit.”

OR
do you want a HC to say “ok we were eliminated we have six wins now
DAMN IT let’s go for four or 5 more !!” “fight !” ?

Yes - that’s what they say every year and its exactly what they want the team to do. In fact some fans want to pack it in before the season even begins. Trade away all assets that could potentially help to win football games, and start from scratch.

It’s fluid in the NFL for sure. Still, I think there can be a distinction made between player grades (blue-chip, 1st round, 2nd round and so-on). Some years see no blue-chippers at all. Some see less than 5 even with a 1st round grade. Some years you may be stuck with a top-10 pick and have nothing but 2nd-round graded players to choose from .

And yet, there’s talent to be had in every draft no matter what people think leading into it.

what’s the point a 3-4 year rebuild that STILL won’t do a thing because of the clown show the owners hire to run the team all the damn time?? we have done that a few times, went nowhere; shocker.

but hey lets tank so our GM doesn’t choose who we see as a playmaker? The GM is going to draft how HE wants OR how HE was TOLD to by our owners and their group around the roundtable
that’s who they pick.
IT is aaaalmost like they say “DON’T pick the top guys because then we might not keep losing.” I know how silly it sounds, but is it? we don’t land the goat prospects each draft , we get the scraps.
is it ALL these GM’s are that bad at drafting OR are they being ordered to draft this guy and that but not the top studs?

kept losing by design?

The guys drafted later in the round just as easily could have been taken by a team with an earlier pick
just sayin.

Picking earlier isn’t a bad thing as some are trying to make it out to be.

The point is that the draft doesn’t end after the first 5 to 10 picks, but every year fans act like it does.

Nobody is making that argument.

What is your point?

Good teams don’t need top 10 to remain good.
Bad teams don’t become good despite picking in the top 10.

Is that a problem with top 10 picks or is that a problem with the teams making the picks?

Having a top 10 pick increases our chance to get lucky and land a franchise caliber player. Like CJ, Barry and Stafford. God knows we won’t be smart about it and as fans we can still hope that luck is on our side.

Just give me someone exciting to watch and root for.

1 Like

That the draft doesn’t end after the first 5 to 10 picks. I’ve been clear about that.

But it starts there. The upper echelon talent gets picked there. Don’t like the talent available, you can move back from there. Gather more assets to build your team with from there.

Just because Quinn had a hard-on fro Okudah and refused to trade back doesn’t mean there were no real offers. I believe that myth has been corrected. He had offers but refused. He wanted HIS guy. Yet again. Just like Tabor.

Smartest man in the unemployment line. F him.

It does? Quick, where was Green Bay’s all pro LT chosen?

1 Like

The draft doesn’t start at the top?

1 Like

Maybe if we didn’t use top 10 picks on shit positions like DT, CB and TE x2, we wouldn’t be picking in the top 10 consistently.

The draft doesn’t end at the top.

It does, Wes’ comment was trying to tell you that you can get damn good players all through the draft and they don’t “have to be” top 5 draft prospects.

Any team wanting Lawrence and isn’t picking top 2, has zero chance to select him. Very slim shot at 2.

Yes, there is talent everywhere in the draft, you have more available to you when you pick earlier and are trying to fix a mess.

1 Like