On the pass to Chark, who messed up?

Seeing these stills, it’s even more obvious Chark ran the wrong route. Why would Jared Goff even think he would turn upfield instead of keeping going towards the sideline away from the defender also creating more space?

3 Likes

You MENSA genius charmer, you!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Sorry dude not best choice of words on my part, you not understanding is that I’m not comparing teams or good plays and bads plays. I’m talking in the last min both QBs hada chance to put the game away. One missed and one didn’t. Some are blaming the Gs . Lol but everything thing was good enough until that last min. Then we miss a wide open wr, and give Josh 23 sec to win the game. And Josh made the play, not sure how with all that wisdom why you keep trying to find other holes in the game , when we’re talking about the last min of the game when the win was on the line.

I hear you. But here’s the thing I think you’re not acknowledging - and here I’m focusing ONLY on the comp between the big throw Allen made vs. the one Goff missed. You act as if the difference between those outcomes tells you something crucial about the difference between the QBs. It doesn’t. (And, no, I’m NOT saying Goff is as good as Allen. But you shouldn’t infer that from those two plays.)

You want to condemn Goff - and we can choose a milder word if that one seems over the top - without acknowledging at least one big difference and one big unknown.

The big difference - Goff was pressured and Allen wasn’t.

Go to 4:25 to see the play unfold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJTQn9cBekQ. Observe the Bills’ #52 coming UNTOUCHED up the middle AND #55 in his immediate line of sight.

Now go to :35 here and tell me that Josh Allen has ANYTHING to worry about on that big pass to Diggs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NupM-Lwzhzw

Yes, Josh made the play. No, Jared didn’t. But why won’t you acknowledge that the two faced VERY different pressure environments? It’s obvious.

Second, the uncertainty. Yes, Jared says “if I had made a better pass…” And maybe it’s that simple. I honestly believe there’s serious reason to doubt that. First, if Goff really meant to lay it out inn front of Chark, that was a terrible throw. Maybe it wasn’t that bad. DC didn’t;t say it was a terrible throw. He said his two guys weren’t on the same page. That strongly suggests they made different reads. That seems MUCH more plausible to me. Jared thought Chark would continue to the sideline but Chark turned it straight upfield because he had a step and a half on this guy. But Goff had to get rid of it and threw it to where Chark was supposed to be. Other people have shown the route. Forget execution for a moment. I’ll tell you this much: IF the question is whether Goff messed up or Chark messed up - rather than simply a bad throw - I’m guess it was Chark 9/10 times. I think we have every reason to believe that he commands this offense - what’s supposed to happen - a lot better than Chark does.

Why would Goff say he made aa bad throw? Because Goff always, Always, ALWAYS blames himself when things go wrong on passing plays. ALWAYS. I’m a former Rams fan. Been following Goff since he was drafted by the Rams. I’m probably seen every post-game press conference he’s ever given. I’ve NEVER seen him even hint that a WR/TE/back was ever in the wrong on a play that went awry. It’s always “I’ve got to do better.” As I’ve said before, unless you believe that Goff was the one in error every time he and a receiver were “on the wrong page,” you have to conclude that Goff falls on his own sword reflexively. He just does. Probably one reason his guys always love him.

You say “we miss a wide open receiver” but simply (and simplistically) assume that it was JG’s fault. And/or it’s obvious to you that it was. But it’s not at all obvious to me, and many of us, for reasons I and others have offered. Reasons you mislabel as “excuses.”

2 Likes

Good post. But it’s like talking to a brick wall. Some people will always only believe what they want to believe

3 Likes

I’m not the only one to see it

Lions grades: Defense hangs with Josh Allen and Bills until crucial final minute

1 Like

He always says this. In La and Here. Never throws anyone under the bus. I am shocked at the Goff hate. I hope he gets traded and lands somewhere where he is appreciated.

3 Likes

Unfortunate but true…

A related point.

Chark has caught 9/24 passes sent his way (37.5%). ARSB has caught 65/88 (73.9%). Big difference. Why is that? Why is the Goff-ARSB connection SO much better than the Goff-Chark connection?

A bunch of reasons, no doubt. Better hands, better separation, shorter avg routes - all in favor of ARSB.

But here’s my informed guess about the #1 reason: ARSB is more likely to be where he’s supposed to be. Just like Kupp is more likely to be where Stafford thinks he’s going to be compared to their other receivers.

Goff has targeted 13 different receivers this season. Guess who has - by far - the lowest catch percentage? Yep. DJ Chark. The next lowest is Zylstra, who only has two targets (catching one). Kennedy has caught 8/15 (53%). Goff and Reynolds, who runs similar routes to Chark, make the connection 62% of the time. Night and day. It’s NOT just about shorter vs. longer routes. (That’s also why Reynolds >>>>> Chark in my book, some disappointments notwithstanding.)

DJ Chark is not a good receiver. If I blame Goff for anything on that play, it’s for trusting Chark in that key spot in the first place. To be where he’s supposed to be, catch the ball, and get his feet in bounds if he made the catch.

3 Likes

Always, Maggie. Always, always, always - forever and ever, amen.

2 Likes

Citing someone else who offers the same simplistic take without even mentioning the factors I’ve identified - that’s not an argument. By all means, tell me what I’m missing.

“That’s just how I see it” isn’t much of an argument either.

1 Like

Wow dude nice try , I didn’t resite anyone, I showed I wasn’t the only one that thinks that last min was the difference in the game, witch you try to point out every other bad play during the game. Jared played a good game till that last min were he missed a open wr for the win. It was a throw he should of made.

ADOT……

Chark’s is 3 times deeper than ASB.
also… ASB is a slot WR with better change of direction.

Amendola caught 68% of his attempts…
and Randy Moss caught 56% of his…

This is like apples to jellyfish comparison……

The answer to this thread? who gives a flying F !?

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.