On the pass to Chark, who messed up?

In 2010 Rams fans had a debate over taking Bradford or Suh with the number one pick. They passed over Suh and took Bradford who never did much in the league.

Lions fans watched a once in a generation defensive lineman maul opponents. Rams fans watched a young qb struggle.

The Lions probably won’t pick high enough to have a chance at Anderson, but I know who I would pick if given the choice.

1 Like

Great post Snags! The pictures really tell the story and makes it pretty clear what happened. Chark needed to realize he was the hot read on the blitz AND that he did not have his man beat.

2 Likes

That is definitely not what Goff or any of the coaching staff said.

1 Like

Chark was open on that last throw. If Goff throws it out in front it’s a touchdown. Chark had two steps on the db.

2 Likes

He wasn’t open when Goff threw it, he was after.
Scroll up and you’ll see the pics I provided.

“On the pass to Chark, who messed up?”

Ben Johnson.

1 Like

In the press conference after the game, he said he “picked the wrong guy” in the reads. He took the blame.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not exactly what Goff said.
He said, “we had 4 receivers on the play, could have thrown to any of them, the guy I picked was open but we didn’t hit it, so we can second-guess the play all we want”.

It’s at the 3:40 mark of this video.

detroitlions.com

Goff on cleaning up the mistakes

QB Jared Goff talks with the media about certain plays in the Week 12 game and mistakes that need cleaning up.

It was reported that way by multiple beat writers after the game, so :man_shrugging:

“I had a guy open and we didn’t hit it” still comes off as him being part of the issue.

Ive said it multiple times–I like Goff and think they can win with him. Absolving him of that mistake is absurd. “Chark turned the wrong way!” That pass wouldn’t have been accurate even if Chark DID turn the way the ball went.

Again: Goff hasn’t hit that throw once this year. Stats show his accuracy plummets once the pass hits 20 yards, and that isn’t just a 2022 thing–he has been that way since 2020. It was a dumb decision to throw the ball, and an even dumber decision by Johnson to call that play. Give your QB multiple options to hit receivers in a range he can actually throw.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hey, not fair using facts and examples to counter vague assertions

1 Like

OK, once, then, and is that even the same pass? That looked like a straight deep route with no option to change the route.

PFF ranked him 30th in the league on passes over 20 yards. It’s not a high percentage play, and definitely not one to pull out at 3rd and 1 with 3 timeouts and time left.

2 Likes

Given that Chark has been subpar or hurt all year and that the Lions haven’t had an NFL quality deep route receiver, the easy conclusion is that lack of deep connections is all Goffs fault

2 Likes

The absurdity on this site when it comes to this stuff is ridiculous. Two NFL QBs, one of which is a Hall of Famer and one of which very well could be, immediately blamed the QB. They know exponentially more than anyone on this site. They’re experts. You’re not. You pretend to be, but let’s face it–you aren’t. They played the position their entire life. They retired and still study it. Why in the world would you NOT take their word for it?

Saying all that, I still blame Ben Johnson more than anyone. His 3rd down playcalling has been suspect at best this year. That play design reaffirmed that. Orlovsky said it best–No way you call a gun pass on 3rd and 1 in that situation.

1 Like

I for one appreciate the thoughtful analysis and screenshots the posters take the time to research create and post. If you think it’s ‘absurd’ why are you here?

If you just want to take RG3s word for everything Lions related your content will be sparse but I’m sure he has a podcast or something you could listen to

2 Likes

I’m not pretending. :wink:

Romo can eat rocks. (Matter of fact, clearing out the ole gizzard with a bit of gravel might make his voice more tolerable.)

I’m still a little high on turkey, the game plan, competitiveness, aggressiveness, successes and resiliency shown against a superior opponent. I also appreciate the Lions willingness to take shots when they’re in predictable down-and-distance, especially when the 3 points needed to tie are in the bag. It didn’t work and we tied.

2 Likes

Dan Orlovsky played the QB position and he makes sone pretty absurd takes…but, he played the position and you didn’t so you or I can have no opinion on anything football related.
Btw, Matt Millen was a GM and you didn’t so you can’t have any opinion on anything.
outrageous-seinfeld

2 Likes

“Hot air.” Irony, thy name is Tcmouse.

But, seriously, why don’t you spare a puff for the 50 yds given up by the defense in 20 seconds?

The missed 29-yarder? 29 yards!

The EGREGIOUS and crucial roughing-the-passer penalty that gave the Bills new life at a critical time?

The odds on the Lions for each of those is surely higher than on any QB completing a long downfield pass under pressure.

And yet you’re ONNLY on about Goff.

Why is that?

3 Likes

Your just not smart enough to understand, you can make up all the excuses you want , both teams have factors , but with one min left we had a chance to win Jared missed the throw And Allen got a chance and made the throw. Not sure why you wanna talk about all the plays. If Jared completes that pass does Allen get a chance ? Jared missed Allen didn’t

Exactly, not only that, you can also see when Goff releases the ball, DJ Chark’s line is going to where Goff threw it. For some reason, he starts to go more vertical after Goff releases the ball. Don’t know who got that wrong, but it appears Goff thought Chark was going to run a diffeent route…

3 Likes