On the pass to Chark, who messed up?

I like Young as a prospect much more than Stafford. Also like Anderson as a prospect way more than Curry. I’d rather draft Anderson. I’d like to target a QB in the middle to late rounds then early in 2024 if we need to

1 Like

This may be the way it works out, I’m like most I don’t think Jared is the guy at this point, but I don’t see anyone in this draft that I would take at this point.

But next year I sure would like Drake Maye. He’s a guy I think I would really like to have.

2 Likes

Personally I think that’s a lot of it but if anyone wants to point fingers it should be to the WR.

It’s Chark’s job to track that ball and adjust the route.

But this is what happens when a QB and his WR’s don’t get a lot of playing time together.

4 Likes

Then why run such a play in that situation? Seems if what you say is true it was a really poor call at that time.

2 Likes

Because you have to…. You have to give them the playing time if you want them to improve.

They will get better with more playing time together.

1 Like

Nope it was a poor throw. The rules are if I got him stacked/beat I’m keeping the route vertical & it should be a left shoulder throw. If you want to get into the nitty gritty of 9 route rules-“If I’m even I’m leaving”

Back shoulder is for when you can’t beat the CB

A better WR gets that ball. Chark has been pretty weak at tracking and contesting all year when he hasn’t been hurt

3 Likes

Don’t think so. It was a hot read, Goff read the blitz, Chark didn’t. The ball was in the air before Chark even knew it. Hell Chark raises his hand to show he’s open after the ball is half way to him. Chark screwed the pooch.

5 Likes

The great WRs track and adjust to passes and make the catch. Adams makes that catch. Jefferson and Diggs make that catch. Chark doesn’t

We’re all hoping Jamo becomes that guy

2 Likes

Chark didn’t adjust on this one awkward ass play–big deal , over , done-with, gone!

1 Like

The great recievers still have to see the ball to react. He didn’t see it until it was on him. If he’d have read the blitz he’d have seen the ball. Rice isn’t catching a ball or adjusting to it if he doesn’t see it.

1 Like

Agreed!

Have you rewatched the play at all?
Chark has the defender on the front of his inside hip, he does not have the defender beat when Goff is loading up to throw it, he’s not even right next to him, Chark is a bit behind him yet. Goff actually put the ball right where it was supposed to be placed in that situation, he gave his receiver a chance and no one else. It was a pretty amazing pass actually, just Chark took too long to look for the ball and never located it until it was too late, turned the wrong way, etc.

2 Likes

Since Chark hadn’t even beat his man……
seems like Goff should have moved on to his next read.
ASB was open…. as usual….

2 Likes

It was a hot read, the WR and QB need to identify the blitz accordingly. Goff did, Chark didn’t. Chark was the read

1 Like

Thanks for posting pics. This reminds me a little of the mythology around the 4th down throw to Reynolds against Miami that Reynolds dropped. The chorus was that Swift was wide open for a first down….which wasn’t actually true

2 Likes

7 man rush… cover zero… man coverage.

yeah… I’ll take the short crosser every time on 3-and-1 when a first down keeps Buffalo from getting a possession…. especially when the MLB blitzed and the middle of field was vacated.

2 Likes

Hard to know who the next guy in his progression was.
ASRB was open and Goff had a throwing lane but by the time Goff went through his progressions, ASRB would have been past that lane and the ball had a good chance of being batted down at the LOS.

1 Like

Against a blitz…. QBs are taught to throw where the blitz is comings from… and the progression of reads is altered to react to the blitz.

On this play… there were 2 routes that were too long developing to even consider against a 7-man rush…. so it was either Chark or ASB. Zylstra ran a seam route between 2 deep safeties… and Raymond ran a deep over… so the blitz should have immediately taken them out of the equation.

2 Likes

I wish Goff would have tried to get to the ball to St. Brown too. If Goff had given St. Brown a moment longer to get open in the Miami game, the Lions would have had a first down there.

He is by far the best receiver the Lions have. Get him the damn ball in those situations!

That said, in the Bills game, there’s a couple problems. Goff can’t take a sack and has to avoid a turn over. The quickest, safest throw is clearly down the field to a WR who is one on one with a corner with no safety help.

Throwing a short, quick pass in the middle of the field is risky and dangerous. If one of the rushers, backs off to watch for the short crosser, they can easily make a play. Miami and Brian Flores did that to Goff when Goff had a turnover fest against Miami a couple of years ago.

I liked the Hockenson trade, but it would have been nice to have someone like Hock (and of course Jamo) lining up with St. Brown in that little bunch

5 Likes