We Need Elite

Right

Uh boy

He’s the guy that told me to “get the ■■■■ out of the way” while at Michigan Stadium.

I was shoved by Kimi Raikkonen at a Formula 1 race at the Indy Motor Speedway. I was just about to walk over the pedestrian bridge and was shoved very hard. I turned around ready to lay into someone and its a midget in full racing gear. I let it go. Figured out it was Raikkonen who had just had his engine blow up on him. Dude is 150 lbs, he needs to watch himself.

1 Like

Totally OK. I’d like to see us draft a mid round developmental guy to push Goff. I don’t ever want my QB coddled or comfortable.

1 Like

Bryce reminds me of Fran Tarkenton. Both around 6’ 190lbs. Both elusive and make plays under pressure.
Fran played in a different era, but the similarities are there.

1 Like

Snags provides a good breakdown with pictures in this thread:

Chark did not have is man beat and should have been looking for the back shoulder catch on the ball Goff threw. From what I read he was also the hot read on the blitz. Good throw by Goff, but he is also a good guy and not one to finger point (good trait) so just says he could have made a better throw.

We need to put a team around Goff and I 100% believe he can win the big game if we do.

3 Likes

Lol , this is one game , Jonah Jackson is one of the best Gs in the NFL. And has been grade high on most weeks, you take one week and exaggerated to like it’s Goffs whole problem. Talk about changing shit to suite your naritive.

Still comes down to that last min we’re Jared was Jared, and Allen was Stafford when the game counted. Jared walks off with a moral victory and Allen walks off as a winner. All the bullshit and excuses in the world doesn’t change the fact Goff had a opportunity to keep Allen off the field, but he threw a bad pass and didn’t make the play he shit the bed. Allen came in and in 23 sec made the play and won the game. Jared doesn’t have the confidence or will to win games like this. He settles for the moral victory and seems ok with every lose.

2 Likes

This argument sounds an awful lot like your saying the quality of a team’s QB doesn’t matter unless their name is Patrick Mahomes.

Do you really believe that? Do you really believe it wouldn’t matter if we had Josh Allen or Jared Goff?

You either think very highly of Goff or you don’t value the QB position (it seems like anyway).

1 Like

Also people seem to think this is the only time Goff hasn’t been able to make that throw. There have been many times Goff has screwed that throw up. He can’t hit it. Its basically a 35 yard go route. And now we want to pair him with Jameson Williams? I hope he figures it out.

1 Like

You can do this all game with both teams. Go back and watch, if you gonna use what could have been, the 2 plays we’re Goff forced the short throw while a wr was wide open running free at the next level. I know of twice this happen. None of it changes the last min of play when he had a chance and he missed a the throw. Allen with very little time made the play and a much harder throw to win. And really you can also blame Dan if he runs the ball even if it fails the clock runs and Allen doesn’t get 23 sec. That fact is we shit the bed in that last min , and that min was what was determined the difference between a win and loss. This like the vikes game is a loss we should have won.

Some are ok with it because on there prediction sheet they had losing this game.

1 Like

It will be Williams fault no doubt. He may be a wasted pic because our QB will not be able to utilize his biggest asset. He better learn how to be a run after the catch guy. It’s kinda like a TE we don’t use it in away to have a high priced guy. Don’t think having a speedy wr to take the top off really helps other then a decoy. Jared doesn’t have the confidence to make that throw. Jared needs a wr like Deboll that can take a short or intermediate pass and run. The more I watch the more I think it a bad fit.

2 Likes

Anyone offer an opinion on what’s up w Sewell? He seems to have regressed lately. He’s getting beat by guys he should whip. He’s one of the most penalized OT in the league. He’s got to be way better. What’s the deal?!

1 Like

FWIW I don’t think Tarkenton would be very good today

McShay then went into the negatives on Young and they were completely based on his size.

“But the knock on him, especially talking to scouts who have been there this summer, is the size. He’s 5-10, when he’s listed at 6-foot-1, and a scout just told me the other day he weighed in at 186 pounds.”

The draft analyst continued and compared Young to Russell Wilson in terms of height, but added that Wilson had a strong physical makeup and weighed over 200 pounds.

There is a recent precedent of shorter quarterbacks getting drafted high in the first round. Kyler Murray is 5-foot-10 and he was a number one pick in 2019. Murray has an explosive running element to his game that Young doesn’t have, but Young has a higher upside as a passer.

I honestly don’t know what to make of Bryce Young. If he were a couple inches taller I think everybody would call him the top pick. I really like his moxie. IMO, he reminds me of Drew Brees. He just has that uncanny ability to read a defense and make a play. And he can run better. Its hard to compare Kyler because Kyler is more densely built to withstand hits. Bryce is gonna take a pounding.

The interesting thing about this comparison is that Campbell was an offensive assistance with Brees as QB. What they used to do with Brees was set him further back in shotgun than other QBs so he has a really deep drop. Brunell also played with Brees in his later years.

The problem with that set up is that its not ideal for our running style. We want to be a play action team. Guess who needs a heavy play action offense to maximize his ability (IMHO)? Anthony Richardson. IMO I think that is why they are scouting him so heavily. That, and they might be thinking he could fall out of the top 5.

1 Like

So for all the Goff haters…who is the QB you want the Lions to draft and at what pick?

Assuming the Rams pick will not get higher that the #3OA pick, if that, and the Lions first rounder will be the mid to late teens.

Listen I agree Goff needs to make that play, but this statement about Allen is just not true. He had more time and an easier throw down the middle to a receiver who had 5 steps on Harris. I posted a picture of this in another thread. I will agree, Allen made the play when needed, and Allen is much better than Goff. But that play Allen made was an easier throw to make than the Goff throw down the side line to a receiver that has maybe a half step on the defender.

Not a Goff “hater” per se ( I think Goff fans take me as one) but personally, I think we talk past each other on here at times. We have two first round picks. We can get the defensive guy people want and also get a QB.

For me, my position is a nuanced. I’m not a “we must get a QB guy”. I just push back on the idea that we don’t need to be looking at a QB. If they love a QB in this draft, they should not hesitate in selecting him. This does not deviate from 2020 when I said the same thing.

As for my favorites? Right now, Anthony Richardson is my guy. I go back and forth on CJ Stroud. I actually see CJ Stroud as a little Goff like with a better deep ball. His accuracy is uncanny but I wonder about his skittishness in the pocket and ability to read defenses quickly. Bryce Young has it all there from the neck up but that neck is too low to the ground. I wonder if he can hold up in the NFL. He is a very dangerous player because I think if the height isn’t a problem he is going to light it up like maybe Tua is right now. You don’t want to be the QB needy team that passed on him if that happens. Levis - I haven’t looked him enough. The thing about Levis is that he has the size and he also plays in a pro ready offense at Kentucky. Those are very positive attributes. He just hasn’t done well with it. Hooker? I mean maybe later on. I’d be hard pressed to draft a 25 year old who will need a year with an ACL in the first round.

2 Likes

Me I would roll with Goff trade one of my top picks for a 1st Rd next year maybe trade a 2nd also. So I have plenty of picks and then draft Drake Maye next year as the future QB.

2 Likes

tell me what QB is elite in this draft?

So are you trying to say Goff is elite ? Never new a QB to be elite before he ever plays a down in the NFL.

1 Like