Oops.....(Stafford)

Okay, you fellas keep an eye on Kelly’s instagram for me. I’ll be waiting for the news.

1 Like

“To be clear, I’m not reporting that Bernie Smilovitz of WDIV-TV fell victim to this dynamic. But I am reporting that the Lions definitely aren’t engaged in trade talks regarding Stafford, that agents definitely are stirring up rumors like this (Tom Brady is the other major pawn in this process), and that it doesn’t take a tremendous amount of brain power to connect the dots.”

https://t.co/4DC96J5p2k

6 Likes

We can always count on you to provide good sources. Kudos man!

2 Likes

But that’s what a GM would do.

If it’s a smokescreen (and it probably is), the screen is still working. The denial changes nothing. GMs lie all the time.

This “the Lions couldn’t possibly trade Stafford because it would cost them $32 million!” thing is nonsense.

They have the room to make it work, and it would be a one-time dose of pain. People are also discounting his more than $21 million cap hit, anyway.

I’m just saying it’s not impossible.

I guess I don’t get how a rumor is a smokescreen and denying the rumor is also a smokescreen. I’m curious what do you think this accomplished?

It created uncertainty about whether the Lions are looking to move Stafford.

Uncertainty could lead to Miami having more motivation to deal with Washington to ensure themselves Tua. Thus allowing the Lions to draft Chase Young.

Lol - the real scandal will begin when we find out BQ owns ClickonDetroit!!

Ha!! :crazy_face:

I think it would be better if BQ just didn’t say anything if he’s trying to create uncertainty.

1 Like

Anything is possible, no doubt. I mean, it’s not like Quinn doesn’t pick up his phone.
It’s a matter of weather he wants to keep his job or not.
Trading away Stafford at this point does nothing to keep his job… nor does it help the team in any way for the upcoming season.
In fact, not only could it get him canned, but if Tua/Herbert (whoever they decide to replace him with) turns out to be a bust, then it sets back this franchise to a place we all don’t want to be, I’m sure…

Again, if this was February 2019, or February 2021, then I would see more logic in this rumor.
As of now, the possibilities of it happening certainly look doubtful if viewed from just about any angle.

Can’t wait for the draft so all this trade Stafford bs ends. If are in win now or be unemployed you don’t
Trade the best option you have at qb
Go with a rookie
Give up over $11 million in cap space you need to improve team.

He was in the top 5 of every positive category (not %tho but close). You think Tua would do that or better and then we’d magically win???
Improve the f’n defense and run game. Those 2 areas are top 15 last year we win the division just by not blowing 9 4th qtr games

1 Like

Well a couple things. One, time for the polygraph to find the loose lips and fine the sheot out of them to send a message.

Two… wow. IF true this is terrible. It would be a move based purely on the Staff’s own self preservation, because OF COURSE you have to get another year or two if you trade your franchise QB and go with a rookie “for the benefit of the organization.” I find it hard to believe that Martha could be suckered enough to go for this, but maybe Quinn has enough influence to convince her that you only get up top very rarely and this is that opportunity that won’t come around, once he’s brought the team back to the 9-7 he said wasn’t good enough… The reality is, he couldn’t build a team around Stafford that was competitive. His decision to fire Caldwell and bring in Patricia has been a bust to date. He was given a one year mandate and he probably knows he can’t do it without a baked in excuse. Like trotting out a rookie QB or scrub vet backup for example.

1 Like

It’s funny how people bring up how the Lions are in “win now mode” as if the Lions didn’t go 6-10 the year before, or 3-4-1 with Stafford this year .

1 Like

I’m not sure who said win now mode, but according to the boss of all bosses (Martha), this team is absolutely in win now mode.
Weather we like it or not.
She gave Quinn the mandate to be a winning football team, or his ass is grass.
Sounds like win now to me.

I mean, do I agree with it?
Absolutely not. I think this football team (as it stands) is a bottom quarter of the league team.
But until Martha sees things the way others do, she’ll do her best to put pressure on the FO… and rightfully so.
They’ve done nothing but disappoint.

That’s great… but why would Stafford ( who this regime has had 2 losing records with) provide them with the best option to win?

I’m not saying he’s the answer. I’m also not saying he isn’t.
But unless you’re from the future, and can positively tell me that these draft prospects will make an immediate impact, I don’t buy what you’re insinuating.

You’re right we don’t know that a QB would make an immediate winning impact… what we do know is that you can’t win with Stafford. We have 11 years of data to back that up. If these guys want to win, keeping Stafford is not the way to do that.

Sticking with Stafford because you want to “win now” makes no sense.

1 Like

[quote="iggy14, post:60, topic:3658 what we do know is that you can’t win with Stafford.
[/quote]

Lol - I love this guy … he is now my source of laughter not resentment!

Not winning in the past as a team has nothing to do with winning in the future … but hey please keep it coming as I got a good laugh today

Thank you Iggy

2 Likes