Oops.....(Stafford)

I figured I would add some posts supporting Running’s statement.

Dave birkett for one has said “win now mode”.

“First, Quinn and head coach Matt Patricia were given a win-now mandate by ownership late in last year’s disappointing 3-12-1 season. Stafford gives the organization its best chance to win in 2020, and Tagovailoa’s agent, Leigh Steinberg, told the Free Press at the Super Bowl that it’s in Tagovailoa’s best interests to go to an organization where he can sit and observe during his rookie season.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/nfl-networks-dave-dameshek-has-heard-matthew-stafford-trade-rumors

Dave Dameshek thinks he could get traded but also says: He expressed an understanding that trading Stafford does not make much sense, being that the Lions are in apparent win-now mode.

Kyle Meinke (MLIVE) called it a “win now mandate”:
“But with a win-now mandate for 2020, Quinn could approach this dynamic differently than if his job weren’t on the line. He might disagree, at least publicly, and the same for Patricia. But I think there’s no escaping the reality that Detroit will have to approach this offseason differently, because if they don’t get short-term results, this regime won’t get a long term.”

Mike O’'hara of the Detroit Lions called it a win/now mandate.

He will win in his 12th season! This is the year I just know it!!!

1 Like

So again… why would they want to stick with a QB who can’t win… if they want to win and win now?

We can go down this road again. You don’t like stafford and are not objective about him at all. I do like Stafford and try very hard to be objective, but when talking with you about Stafford, you almost have to go to the opposite extreme of your stance.

I think there is 11 years of ineptness on the part of the Detroit Lions as an organization. I do think there have been plenty of times where stafford’s played great and still lost and there were games that mattered where he didn’t make the kind of impact that you or I would want from our franchise QB. In Detroit everything is put on Stafford and he isn’t a winner because the defense can’t stop a runny nose. But other qb’s with inferior stats and more “meager games” are considered winners because their far superior teams carried them. That is what a team does…carry each other.

Take stafford out of it for a second. The lions have not won in 50 plus years. We have had star running backs, star linebackers, star dt’s and star wr’s and we didn’t win anything. We have had elite offenses and even elite defenses and still no playoff wins. Is Tua going to win us games? Especially when his agent is saying he thinks it is in the best interest of his client to sit for year behind a vet?

In reality the key to the lions winning isn’t Stafford. It is BQ/MP or whoever comes after successfully implementing the culture they want and building a winning talented program. So you hope MP/BQ fail and the next guy does it. Perhaps you KNOW they will fail. I hope these guys do it and I don’t know either way if they will succeed or not.

2 Likes

And Stafford hasn’t led the offense to a TD in the last 7 Qs of playoff action. Your excuses have nothing to do with his inept play when it matters. I am not objective when it comes to Stafford ( he hasn’t won anything in 11 years), but YOU are the objective one defending 11 years of losing with him playing the most important position in sports.

This is great stuff. This fan base gets what they deserve.

Your mockery takes away from whatever validity your points have.

You isolate Stafford from the team and put the team’s failings onto 1 player.

You throw out stats without context that might explain the stat in a different light.

You do what you do best.

2 Likes

And you do what you do best. Make excuses. Coaches and GMs have came and gone. Stafford is the one constant. He doesn’t have it in him, pal.

Many here pretend to be Lions fans but they’re not. Real fans would no longer back Stafford.

I can respect that opinion

1 Like

Sports writers gotta stay relevant in the off season.

3 Likes

And they ALL kept Stafford. so no matter who was the coach or who was the GM they ALL thought he was the best man for the job. Just saying… doesn’t that suggest that maybe it is not Stafford?

2 Likes

facts Iggy, not excuses. Guess what?? The Lions were a joke BEFORE Stafford even was our QB, because OUR leaders could not build a highly productive teams that went to the damn playoffs with any regularity in fact, they never did a damn thing either. wasn’t like The Lions was kicking ass and taking names…THEN enters Stafford and the whole game went to shit. but you wouldn’t guess/know that the way you complain Igs. You act like Stafford singlehandedly screwed your dreams or sum stuff man. What happened once they put Stafford in as our starting QB?? , not too damn much because fools to foolish things and don’t makes NFL teams TOP Contenders. What I’m telling you is not a damn thing changed outside the names of the players OR HC’s, GM’s, OC’s, DC’s, schemes… they changed NOTHING, so NO it didn’t get better-than it was. that falls directly on the Leaders who own and operate this god * %%#3d TEAM IGGY. Martha and her family swim in billions of dollars like WCF once did, YET they do not ensure that THE BEST most experienced, most knowledgeable, and Game -winning persons are in place to MAKE US WIN. but your bright enough to KNOW , that didn’t happen. look at Quinn and Fat Patricia and the last two seasons, do you really think they are going to get us to do anything else? IT is not Stafford’s fault this team struggles , HE is just a QB on A team, ONE player. so your excuses takes and how Stafford is the shittiest QB in the NFL don’t fly anymore IGGY…that BS is TIRED !!

It’s like you don’t even know the game iggy for all your bragging constantly how your smarter then everyone . Yet u never get it’s a team sport, say what BS u want, one Stafford didn’t play a full season last year. And his play was very good before he went down. Never seen a grown up so desperate to be right about something that you been proved wrong over and over again. You jump on any negative about Stafford to the point it’s funny.

The whole he hasn’t won play off game, it’s your only argument.
So why didn’t Dak presscot, win the Superbowl, or Russell Wilson or Tom Brady. I’m mean you say it’s solely on the QB. These greats should be able to over come the other short comings on the team. According to u.

So what year science Stafford been QBing have u seen a roster that said Superbowl or play off win ?

Sense you are a betting man, I Got 100 says he’s the QB this year and we do not draft a QB round one.

1 Like

How enamored are the Lions with Chase Young? If this story has been leaked to the media it’s very likely a juvenile attempt by Quinn to push Miami or another suitor for Tua to deal with Washington, thus Young slips to #3. This is just one of many such rumors that will surface prior to the draft.

No Iggy it’s u that gets what he deserves. Your inept logic is is well just that inept.

Using that rationale, there would be no Lions fans🤣.

1 Like

Iggy for GM! HUGE following :wink:

Crickets….

1 Like

Actually, an article I posted to this thread is reporting that the agents are possibly behind a lot of this information. BQ might not have anything to do w any of this…

“The out-of-the-Honolulu-Blue report from WDIV-TV in Detroit that the Lions are engaged in trade talks regarding quarterback Matthew Stafford likely comes from the pre-pre-pre-free agency efforts of agents who represent other quarterbacks to line up deals for their own clients by scaring away other agents who represent other quarterbacks from potential landing spots.”

Well we are in “win now” mode because this was the first time that the Owner publicly gave the GM a one year ultimatum. I know it’s hard, but two of those losses were at the hands of the SB Champs (by 4 points and Stafford put up 30 so far from “his fault”) and the 13 win Division champs. Stafford was not the problem and we saw what type of team we were without him didn’t we? A winless one. Be careful what you wish for.

Yep excellent take you can’t back up …It’s got to be the Ferrari “Colombo” V12" engine we have had for 11 years that’s the issue …Can’t possibly be the Toyota Corolla platform we keep putting the engine in …:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

HE TOOK OVER AN 0-16 TEAM!!

(I like how that was trotted out often as if it meant something in, like, year 8 of his tenure here.)

The front offices around Stafford have indeed not done a good enough job surrounding him with talent, year after year.

But I’ve long dispensed with the idea that he’s the kind of QB who can take a team on his back and take them somewhere. He’s just … not. Whatever his highlights show. Whatever his gaudy stat lines look like.

I saw Brady lead playoff teams with a bunch of WRs no one had ever heard of. Now, granted, he’s the GOAT.

I almost feel like Stafford has reverse intangibles. He’ll do the small, unquantifiable things that lead a team NOT to go anywhere. I’m thinking of the game early last year (was it KC?) where, down at about the 5 yard line, he trips over his own two feet, and ultimately, the TD never happens.

Shit like that happens way too often with Stafford. Little third-down, drive-killing missed passes and the like on a day that his stat line will show 65% completions, 350 yards and a couple of TDs.

And now we have to deal with the fact that he’s 32 and the Iron Man days are over. I suspect he’ll be missing games every season going forward.

1 Like